Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

Can anybody please confirm that the DRIVE effect (the variation of the EFFECTS section to the right, not the VALVE DRIVE to the left) is mono?

I set up a nice effect-laden Rhodes (E.PIANO part, TINE variation 9) which has a built-in tremolo - as all EPs do - that is especially spacey here; it is more of a pan effect than a tremolo. If I engage the DRIVE effect, the stereo collapses into mono, which is not a problem in itself, but the spaciousness of the pan/tremolo is gone, of course.

The other effect types do not seem to exhibit this behaviour.

One of the white keys on my Continental is sitting just a little lower than level with the others. Slight, but noticeable. Still plays ok, though.  Its been gigged with a lot - but never abused. 

Any thoughts as to what it might be… and whether this is something I could fix myself? Thanks!

Hi there, I joined the forum just to share the paintjob I have done to my Konti.

Contrary to most people here, who seem to use the keyboard as an all-purpose stage keyboard, I got it and have been mainly using it for no less than what the name suggests: the Vox Continental!

But a Vox without reversed keys ain't a Vox, right? So I gave it a go. (Now) white keys were the easiest to paint. (Now) black keys gave me more troubles... had to redo the job twice. It's not perfect still but now acceptable.

Hope you like it!

Now I might as well rip an octave off to make it even closer 😜

Konti (1).jpg

Konti (2).jpg

Konti (3).jpg

• Like 9
  • Cool 2

I've been away from here for a few years after moving continents, just occasionally lurking in the corner and enjoying the really insightful comments on so many aspects of playing keyboards.

My main rig for the past two or three years has consisted of Kurzweil SP6, Roland VR-09, Behringer Crave and MIDI bass pedals, all designed to keep weight and bulk to a minimum. I've cursed the VR for its poor action, lo-res pitch bend, and high-frequency artifacts, but found it much more versatile than an Electro. Having recently got hold of a Vox Continental 61, rather on a whim, I thought I'd chime in here with a few thoughts. At first, having hoped it might replace the VR, I didn't really know what to make of it, as the well-documented limitations (lack of octave assignment, rather clunky patch management, so-so Leslie sim, impossibility of seeing the LEDs in bright sunlight, etc.) had me relegating it to backup and practice. Now, however, I'm finding that the Roland and the Vox actually work well in tandem, despite a large overlap.

The band I'm in is definitely toward the prog end of the spectrum and it requires my aging brain to cope with multiple patch changes throughout quite intensive keyboard parts. Adding the Vox into the mix allows me to reduce the number of changes and assign sounds to the most suited board. Even though there's not too much call for them in what we play, I actually think that, once the NuTube and FX are taken into the equation, the EPs in the Vox are streets ahead of the VR, and in some respects challenge those in the SP6. There are also certain Vox synth and string sounds that outshine both the other boards. On the organ side of things it's not so clearcut, but if I were playing more jazz-oriented material, I'd definitely pick the Vox over the VR. But what really makes this combination work, very surprisingly, is the MIDI implementation in the VR. The Roland allows me to set up a PC control channel per patch that can be different from both upper and lower channels. That has enabled me to program all my "upper board" patch changes into the VR, along with a descriptive name, and use that to instantly select what I need on both boards. No long presses on the Vox to select a different set and no need to remember patch numbers (thank goodness!).

I've yet to use this 3-board combination on a gig, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity, if not the manhandling! The Vox is quirky, but definitely classy, and has actually damped down the desire for a new polysynth, despite its very limited synth capabilities. What it does, it does very well, on the whole, but I echo the call for an OS update, if only to fix the octave assignment issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, voxpops said:

I actually think that, once the NuTube and FX are taken into the equation, the EPs in the Vox are streets ahead of the VR

I agree.

9 hours ago, voxpops said:

what really makes this combination work, very surprisingly, is the MIDI implementation in the VR. The Roland allows me to set up a PC control channel per patch that can be different from both upper and lower channels. That has enabled me to program all my "upper board" patch changes into the VR, along with a descriptive name, and use that to instantly select what I need on both boards. No long presses on the Vox to select a different set and no need to remember patch numbers (thank goodness!).

Yes, the "rather clunky patch management" of the Vox is a drawback, but, unlike the VR09, you can call up the Vox patches via MIDI. So as long as you pair it with something that send MIDI Program Changes (whether it's another keyboard in your rig, or your smartphone, whatever), you can make that largely a non-issue.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Over at the facebook VC group, I had suggested that it would be helpful to have a cheat sheet of the settings for each of the 19 organ presets... and lo and behold, someone created one!

176447497_VoxContinentalorganpresets.jpg.88b71555452892893ac2414c9f4e91bb.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 4/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, TonyAK said:

Hi there, I joined the forum just to share the paintjob I have done to my Konti.

Contrary to most people here, who seem to use the keyboard as an all-purpose stage keyboard, I got it and have been mainly using it for no less than what the name suggests: the Vox Continental!

But a Vox without reversed keys ain't a Vox, right? So I gave it a go. (Now) white keys were the easiest to paint. (Now) black keys gave me more troubles... had to redo the job twice. It's not perfect still but now acceptable.

Hope you like it!

Now I might as well rip an octave off to make it even closer 😜

Konti (1).jpg

Konti (2).jpg

Konti (3).jpg

I don't like it, can you switch them back please.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've only owned it about a month and I've just set it up. Man, the keybed on it is great! Feels amazing! Wow. The EPs are fantastic as are the Organ sounds. No complaints here man. I have better chops than most of you on here so I'm not quite so picky with sounds generally but this unit is the real deal.

• Like 2

I recently got a Conti 61 that came up for a good price.  It's been several years since I sold mine, during which I probably had more seller's regret than I've had for any other board.  So glad to have one again.  Took it to a low key small space gig the other night and it felt perfect for the task. Portable and easy to whisk around and set up in cramped quarters, yet hugely inspiring to play.  I spent 80% of the gig on EPs, 10% on AP, 10% on organ.

Can't figure out how to update my signature.  There's probably instructions on here somewhere.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

13 hours ago, DrEsophagus said:

I've only owned it about a month and I've just set it up. Man, the keybed on it is great! Feels amazing! Wow. The EPs are fantastic as are the Organ sounds. No complaints here man. I have better chops than most of you on here so I'm not quite so picky with sounds generally but this unit is the real deal.

Your sense of humor is an acquired taste.  But anyone who slings a Conti can't be all bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just realized the Vox stand allows for tilting the keyboard towards the audience and that looks super cool if one will be using it as the only keyboard 😎 Has anyone tested it? I think I’ve only seen Derek Sherinian play that way and I thought it’s probably the most comfortable position playing in a standing position and without using a ridiculously high stand to allow for horizontal forearms. 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:32 PM, CyberGene said:

I just realized the Vox stand allows for tilting the keyboard towards the audience and that looks super cool if one will be using it as the only keyboard 😎 Has anyone tested it? I think I’ve only seen Derek Sherinian play that way and I thought it’s probably the most comfortable position playing in a standing position and without using a ridiculously high stand to allow for horizontal forearms. 

It works just fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

It works just fine. 

I was wondering if it is more comfortable to play a tilted keyboard when one is standing up, since the wrists will be more relaxed. It's a more general question, not related to the Vox but then it's only the Vox and its dedicated stand that allow it 😀 BTW, I've been salivating over the Vox for quite some time, it's only not exactly fitting my music styles but I love the concept and I'm considering more rock-oriented band, so who knows...

• Like 1

The main problem I have with the stand that comes with the Conti is that it has such a large footprint.  When I'm using the Conti alone, the convenience of it is usually a big factor.  It's either a  tight space or I'm pressed for time, and typically both of those things.  The stand takes up much more floorspace than other stands, which not only creates tripping problems but also tends to look absurd and draws the hairy eyeball from stage-mates.  It's also a bit more complicated to set up, though not dramatically so once you get the hang of it.  

On the other hand, if I'm on a larger stage and have more time, I'm also likely to want a 2-keyboard rig, and the Conti stand is designed for one.

In the right context I'd love to use the Conti stand, tilt it audience-ward, and hit some rock star poses.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, CyberGene said:

Especially handy if you're in a Dream Theatre cover band. But don't switch to the Vox sound or those headbangers will lose their shit and think they've time-warped to a Dave Clark Five show.  

Also good to have a cucumber handy when doing that. I shove it down my pants to make myself look more well-endowed than I already am while soloing.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just jammed with a kind of makeshift band - we did George Harrison - All those years ago, we did Riders on the Storm, tried some Sheep by Floyd some Supertramp, sounded out all of them with my Voxy-baby. Just fucking around mostly suggested these and we don't sound bad. The EPs are solid. 

Did some CX 3 organ stuff and everyone liked it I used VR-09 before, did JGiels, black magic woman

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, niacin said:

Has anyone confirmed that on the Black version each scene memory does in fact save the valve, dynamics and EQ settings ?...I'd like confirmation from someone who has laid hands on one,...atm I'm inclined to believe its an error on the part of whoever wrote the web page text.  Unfortunately the manual isn't up yet.

Unfortunately, I think you were justified in your suspicions. All this time later, and there's still no separate manual for it, so there are probably no feature/operational differences. Also, as I just posted in another thread (putting here as well for anyone who has this thread marked to follow), the've changed the web site, the wayback archive shows this description through 2022 (check the last sentence):

ScreenShot2023-02-18at10_43_43PM.jpg.8712f1d3fb014d0dda4bed42009a08a3.jpg

but now that last sentence is gone.

ScreenShot2023-02-18at10_47_13PM.jpg.bac8d2eb8d5a7906d78519c05490769a.jpg

I assume they made that edit for a reason. :-(

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1