Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A deal is arranged...

Aidan

...and there's a new arrival in the studio:

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/tyros.jpg

In the end, I decided a used deal was the better option. So I got at Tyros 4, one owner, home use only, immaculate condition, nice price.

First impressions. Lots to learn. Lots that needs tweaking. Some great sounds. Will take me weeks just to go through all the built-in styles. Great potential for pit work. Cheese agogo, if that's your bag.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look out everyone, the arrangers are coming!

[video:youtube]

Seriously though... very nice. I'm considering something like this next year after my raise.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hi Aidan,

A great purchase.

I had a Tyros 4 and replaced it with a Tyros 5. In all honesty, something I regretted. Wish I had kept the 4 as it's got a much warmer overall

sound.

If you got the time, go into the Legacy folder, under E.Pianos select Magnetics and have a noodle around with it. God I miss that sound !!!

The other sound is the boys choir sound. Utterly stunning, Korg comes nowhere near, play it with chords rather than single notes.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...the thing takes some learning to 'drive' but it's proving to be a great ideas machine here's something very simple put together quickly but it gives you some idea of the quality.

Wild Coast Ride

Good Score. I have its tiny baby brother the S970, and am constantly amazed at the quality.

During my tenure I have owned Arrangers by Roland, Korg, and the founder of OMBs-Casio. I have to say the sounds and patterns of Yamaha always seem to be a cut above the others.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

That sounds good Aidan. I mostly do live band gigs but I'll still do the occasional one with my Korg Pa1xPro and it's fun to play live. I've taken the time to learn it well which is mandatory. These things are way too complex to think you can fake it and sound good. To get started yes, it's simple. Select a style, play LH chords, noodle with your right and that's it. It's changing styles, variations, punch in drum fills, select a different lead instrument, adjust the mix, that's tricky. But to me that's where the fun is.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

o get started yes, it's simple. Select a style, play LH chords, noodle with your right and that's it. It's changing styles, variations, punch in drum fills, select a different lead instrument, adjust the mix, that's tricky. But to me that's where the fun is.

Yeah, Bob, it's almost like a different instrument in some respects it's going to be a while before I've done enough groundwork or feel proficient enough to gig with it, that's for sure.

Nicely done for just,getting such a complex keyboard. Arrangers are,too often overlooked and not appreciated for all they can do.

I've had a Roland BK-9 for some time and am still editing sounds, styles, and learning more about it. While not recognized as a Hammond Clone I'm fairly satisfied with the built in VK8.

Good luck and keep at it.

Archived