Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Upright Piano Sample: Amber Upright

OrpheusNY

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threw the large version on my Electro. Removed the bambino. Just lost 40 minutes playing it, though I always seem to do that with new samples.

Amber Upright with the Royal Grand 3D could keep my playing all night. Throw in the Bright Grand for gigging and I've all I really need. Lovely.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Jeez, every time one of these better ones come out, I have to spend hours figuring out what the new lineup in my memory-limited Piano 2 is going to be.

I guess that's a high class problem to have.

Nice sample, I can see it being useful.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Tomorrow I go from 256MB in my Stage Classic to 1GB in a new Stage 2 EX. I'm giddy.

Funny. The ONE THING that could get me to upgrade to the new Stage 3 would be the 2GB of piano memory vs. 1GB on Piano 3 and Stage 2 EX vs. ~400 MB on my current Piano 2s.

We could argue the (small) meaningful differences between S, M, L and XL samples. But the fact that XL samples exist means that -- all things being equal -- you'd want to use them.

Many of them are getting close to 200 MB. On a Piano 2, choose two. On a Stage 3, choose any 10. Actually, more.

Entirely different proposition.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The demo sounds nice. I have 2 uprights loaded into my Electro 5, I'll probably replace both with this 1.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Funny. The ONE THING that could get me to upgrade to the new Stage 3 would be the 2GB of piano memory vs. 1GB on Piano 3 and Stage 2 EX vs. ~400 MB on my current Piano 2s.

We could argue the (small) meaningful differences between S, M, L and XL samples. But the fact that XL samples exist means that -- all things being equal -- you'd want to use them.

Many of them are getting close to 200 MB. On a Piano 2, choose two. On a Stage 3, choose any 10. Actually, more.

+1.

I also think that Nord (if they are smart) will release a piano with a substantially larger footprint (at least in the XL version) to push Stage 3 sales.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Now I wanna see some way larger and first and foremost more expressive Rhodes samples

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Assuming I stay the course and get the Nord Stage 3, it will be really nice to have all so many pianos able to be loaded in XL size.

Agree with the post above, about Rhodes sounds and, I think more urgent, they need a usable clavinet.

FYI, I loaded a 471MB clavinet into my Kurzweil Forte 7 this weekend from Purgatory Creek:

- 7 (x 4) Sustain velocity layers

- 1 Release sample layer

- 1 Attack sample layer

I'd still like a Nord Stage 3 compact, but sound-wise, the electric pianos and clavs are nowhere near the quality of the 600MB sized samples in my Kurz now.

I've also been successfully putting the Nord Fazioli Italian Grand as a piano into my Forte as well.

Still love the Nord player experience and UI the best, it crushes on organs for an all in one, the uprights have a ton of character, like this one, I'm just struggling a bit to stay passionate about the Nord sounds at times.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have a NS2EX88 and only use large piano sample . I won't here the xl differences with my bands. The electric guitars are too loud :-)

In that kind of full band situation, do you even hear the difference between the small and the large? (The difference is in the string resonances.) I've only recently revisited this, and my inclination has been to only use Small and Extra Large. The XL, with all the extra keys being sampled instead of stretched from adjacent notes, can sound somewhat more different. I don't think the resonances make much difference in full band rock/pop playing, outside the occasional solo passages, so I'm not sure I need to have them in more than one or two piano sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a NS2EX88 and only use large piano sample . I won't here the xl differences with my bands. The electric guitars are too loud :-)

In that kind of full band situation, do you even hear the difference between the small and the large? (The difference is in the string resonances.) I've only recently revisited this, and my inclination has been to only use Small and Extra Large. The XL, with all the extra keys being sampled instead of stretched from adjacent notes, can sound somewhat more different. I don't think the resonances make much difference in full band rock/pop playing, outside the occasional solo passages, so I'm not sure I need to have them in more than one or two piano sounds.

Agree with this entirely! I have one XL and the rest are small samples.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

You are probably right, but I have enough room for all electric pianos, 4 grand and one upright and I remembered correctly. And with my futur NS3, I will be able to add more :)

Played it a lot more tonight. Really digging this new Upright. Turn on Long Release & String Resonance, crank up the reverb and suddenly you're in an atmospheric world of fun. Lovely.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to load the Amber Upright (XL) and spend some quality time with it, including A/B/C'ing it with the large versions of the two other "regular" uprights I had loaded in my E5, the Queen (Bosey) and Black (Petrof) uprights. (Mellow and Tack uprights are in different category to me).

Bottom line- the Amber XL has replaced both of them, since I don't see myself going for them anymore. To my ears, Amber has a fuller sound, better presence, is more expressive to play, and especially, sounds much less "digital" through the sustain portion than the earlier samples. With a little EQ shading, I made the judgment there's nothing the Queen or Black uprights can do that the Amber can't do better.

If you have a later generation Nord (the XL version is 162 mb) and haven't taken it for a spin, it's worth a go.

I loaded it up the other day and gave it a good workout at a blues jam yesterday. It's a keeper for sure.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

+1.

I also think that Nord (if they are smart) will release a piano with a substantially larger footprint (at least in the XL version) to push Stage 3 sales.

Ya think?

This is my Adobe/Apple conspiracy theory.

Here for the gear.

Archived