Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which of these 4 keyboards is the best?

DKY

I am looking for a cheap synthesiser/keyboard that I can get and I have found 4 decent offers and I'm not sure which one to pick. I don't know much about synths and their functions, I only have a digital piano with very few features. So here are the candidates:

Roland E-20 for £60 ($80)

Yamaha SY-22 for £95 ($120)

Yamaha AN1X for £95 ($120)

Korg N5 for £90 ($115)

Apart from the Roland, all the keyboards are on auctions so the price might rise. I'm looking for nothing too professional but not for a beginner.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, DKY !

Before I make a suggestion, one question: What do you want the keyboard to do ? Are you looking for classic, analog synthesizer-type tones, or do you also need the keyboard to cover sample-based sounds such as organs, orchestral tones, etc. ?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The AN1X is the only synth in the list I would have any interest in.

PS: Any synth that would interest me would be a board that I would find unique or interesting in some way. I wouldn't be looking for a gig workhorse.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the first option is what I'm looking for, but I wouldn't mind some other sample sounds.

In light of that, the N5 would be my first choice. Since the late 1980s, I've been impressed with Korg's capability to provide a good sample-based set of sounds in combination with some very rich analog emulations (even when built on samples).

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

piling on, the AN1x would be my pick. It's a very good sounding virtual analogue synth. I owned one for years myself.

if you are looking for other sounds, guitars, flutes, and so on in addition to synths I would choose the Korg N5.

"Better" is subjective.

:nopity:

I have an N5 (it was my first synth). I also had the AN1x, but recently sold it because I bought a nord A1.

The N5 is an ok romper. Of course a bit dated. Piano's are bad. Organs are ok (in perspective). Strings are nice. One thing to keep in mind is there is no resonance on the filter, so it's limiting for the synth sounds. It does have an arppegiator. Personally, I nowadays would only use it when I have to do a metal gig with choirs and strings (as I did back then with it when I was 15:))

As said by most, I would pick the AN1x. It does not have samples, it's a VA. But given that it comes from 1997 (or so) it does it very well! I really like the sounds. I had some nice moog type of sounds. Great pads. It even does fm. Programming can be done quite easy, but the modulation matrix is not that handy IMO. One thing to be aware of is that some of the AN1x had a bug. When you switch to a patch which consists of two layers, some crackling noise can appear. Mine had it as well. Does not have to be a deal breaker, you just have to make sure that all patches are programmed in a single layer and after you selected the patch, engage the second layer!

Good luck with your choice!

Rudy

Obviously the Yamahas are going to have the better keybeds, but I like korg joysticks

and they have other performance options that I like better. Korg is easier to program also.

I don't know anything about the 4 boards mentioned though. As of late Korgs semi weighted

and synth action keys suck compared to what they used to be, but they were using

Yamaha keybeds back when.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Apart from the Roland, all the keyboards are on auctions so the price might rise.

Yes... IMO, if you're shopping for "what's around at this price," auction figures are essentially a waste of time, as they may bear little to no resemblance to what you'll actually be able to buy it for, instead stick with "buy it now" choices. If, OTOH, you know the board you want, then looking for auctions and trying to get one at a price you're willing to pay can be worthwhile.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Back in the year 2000, I thought korg n5ex was an upgrade from my x5d(polyphony, rom size, arp, added resonant filter, effects). It turned out to be a board backward in almost every way. The sound quality and build quality was so bad compared with older korgs. It sounded muffled and the reverbs were very muddy. It's since then that I've realized what "cutting corners" mean.
I love Michel Petrucciani.

It's a personal choice. From those 4, mine would be the AN1X.

Agreed this! +1

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived