Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Allan Holdsworth

Dave Bryce

Today, the news of Allan Holdsworth's death was on the main page of the web edition of La Repubblica, Italy's first maistream newspaper.

For once....

yet no mention on BBC website. :(

Well, BBC is a crappy SJW regressive left news channel, so I'm not surprised.

Allan Holdsworth might be gone, but his music is timeless. I'm sure his music will be played and enjoyed hundreds of years from now, just like Mozart and Beethoven.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the GoFundMe Goal of $20K was surpassed by $56k!

As far as artists or anyone for that matter dying broke, it can be avoided. I've been in the finance industry for over 25 years and I am even appalled at the number of people in my business that have forgone retirement savings and even life insurance.

Its never too late to save.

A huge influence and inspiration for me. Often dismissed as being too cerebral his playing was in fact was incredibly passionate. The one thing that typically separates technical giants like Holdsworth from others is what they sound like when they're exercising restraint. He always sounded musical. For as complex as his playing was it's as simple as that. Robben Ford recently referred to him in an interview as the John Coltrane of guitar. I bet he liked that.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Actually jammed with him back in the 70's in a project run by Soft Machine to get kids playing instruments.

My main memory was the fag stuck in the strings of his Fender!

I found some of his playing "unmusical" and more about speed than musicality, but then some of it brilliant like this:

[video:youtube]

It's a shame it was his time to go :(

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

What is "SJW"?
When you want to know an abbreviation like this or a weird term, I recommend urbandictionary.com. However, be warned that it is highly NSFW, nor is it for the faint of heart.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I only have one Holdsworth album (I think), and I haven't listened to it in a long, long time, until today. It's pretty great.

Sand on Apple Music

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Often dismissed as being too cerebral his playing was in fact was incredibly passionate. He always sounded musical. For as complex as his playing was it's as simple as that.

You nailed it.

• 2 months later...

Missed this thread. I did see the earlier post about his time with Level 42. Tim's mention of Holdsworth on the other thread inspired me to share what I found: Recordings of Level 42's residency at Hammersmith Odeon with Holdsworth on guitar!

The audio quality ain't the greatest, but I found it a treat to hear what he sounded like live with this band.

• 1 month later...
Missed this thread. I did see the earlier post about his time with Level 42. Tim's mention of Holdsworth on the other thread inspired me to share what I found: Recordings of Level 42's residency at Hammersmith Odeon with Holdsworth on guitar!

The audio quality ain't the greatest, but I found it a treat to hear what he sounded like live with this band.

Gary Husband is such a great drummer. He's also an accomplished keyboardist, and has played keys on various Billy Cobham tours since the early 1990s.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Haven't heard of a public ceremony but the Iridium in NYC did put on a tribute concert weekend in June, featuring guitarists Alex Skolnick, Nir Felder, Tim Miller, and Alex Machacek - they took turns playing Allan's parts, with rhythm section ofSteve Hunt, Virgil Donati, and Evan Marian.

Holdsworth's daughters were in attendance and apparently recordings from the show will be released.

Some of you might be interested in this Rick Beato interview with one of Holdsworth's keyboard players. I thought that Steve Hunt's comments about the compositions and the process that was involved in transmitting and learning them were interesting.

BTW, I don't know if Beato's videos have been discussed here, but he presents a lot of ideas and information.

I remember listening to the first U.K. album in high school and being blown away by his playing. I had he opportunity to briefly meet him, what a sweet and kind gentleman he was. Time to weep a bit and play some Holdsworth.

Same here. That intro and solo on Nevermore was what did it for me. Then I heard IOU and the Synthaxe/Oberheim period and life was not the same again.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao70mYTLn1Q

Amazing track.

RIP Honorable Maestro.

Did Allan play with Tony Williams?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

he did

"believe it"

and "million dollar legs"

plus some live performances are surfacing on youtube

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Gary Husband is such a great drummer. He's also an accomplished keyboardist, and has played keys on various Billy Cobham tours since the early 1990s.

Yes, I hope to catch him w/ John McLaughlin's 4th Dimension this fall. Great show last time I saw them- great playing on both keys and percussion.

Lovely piano solo here by Husband, followed a bit later by Allan's violin solo.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuNvHXitNkQ

• 4 months later...

I am listening to Tony Williams Lifetime from 1976 at the moment, and am blown away by Allan's songwriting and musicality on this album.

I was in a jazz fusion band in the 90's that covered "Snake Oil", written by the awesome bassist Tony Newton.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived