Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does a keyboard player do during an all guitar song?

kwyn

:laugh: Tim !! I was trying to eat lunch, at my desk. Almost had to clean the desk..

Sorry about that, Allan!

But think of the vast differences in outcomes...if you just run through the permutations of options...

Oh yes, I pondered all the permutations of options; then I pondered them again. :boing:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on the song. We do "Hey Jealousy" and I play guitar voicings on a Hammond sound and it fits right in. We play Reeling in the Years and I split the keyboard (piano/guitar) and play the harmonized guitar licks along with the guitar player. For Burning for You - 4 zones - grungy guitar for the intro, voices, synth brass and finally a lead guitar sound to play harmonized guitar. I find that a real guitar harmonizing a synth guitar sounds pretty cool. For other tunes I will play a little rock piano ( I think Wurly and Rhodes are also good go to sounds). There are few songs I completely sit out due to no keyboards in the original recording.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

While my party band plays Led Zeppelin's "Rock & Roll", I just go to the front of the stage and play tambourine.

You need to listen to Jerry Lee Lewis play this song, on his Last Man Standing album. Out-fricken-standing.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

While my party band plays Led Zeppelin's "Rock & Roll", I just go to the front of the stage and play tambourine.

You need to listen to Jerry Lee Lewis play this song, on his Last Man Standing album. Out-fricken-standing.

Just listened to it.. smokin'!!

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

One of my strategies is to just kinda dance behind your keyboard on parts when I don't play.

If you look and dance like me, that should be enough to ensure a minimal number of such events in the set list.

Not a lot of seconding for organ, so I will.

I'll third that emotion. A little B3 texture---kinda like putting a little mayo on an Italian Cold Cut sandwich; it can stand with just the meats, oil, cheese, onion, peppers, etc, but that layer of mayo always helps.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Many rock songs have room for and sound good with added piano, Rhodes or organ even though there was none on the recording, so in those cases II"ll do that (usually just reinforcing the rhythm and chords, not adding any prominent new material); with many others, it doesn't fit and doesn't sound right, and so I'll lay out, wait it out (sing backups if appropriate), and if it's appealing in the moment, go out and join the front of the crowd for a bit of dancing or air-guitar/fist-pumping.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

...Or, if you really want to wind up your guitarist - play their lead line -

let's face it, every time a band plays Superstition, 9 times out of 10 the guitarist decides to play the Clav riff anyway! :-)

That's because they think Stevie Ray Vaughan wrote it.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I play guitar as well as keys and the bands I'm in (Journey Tribute and also a rock cover band) use me as the utility player so I can comp on guitar or play harmony leads if the song calls for it. Would be nice to be able to grab a Jameson's on the rocks though. =)

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

Because it can be interesting to break consensus in the face of error: talk, ponder on the popularity of breaking the "less is more" rule, learn the difference between cocky guitar players and those who occasionally at least want an all electro-mechanical sound. And it much depends on who leads the band and their musical taste.

T

Besides leave the stage, get a beer and a girl. What do you play if your band is doing a song that doesn't have keys in the original?

never hurts to Ian MacLagan tf out:

[video:youtube]

Great song love the Wurly and oh yeah Rod was born to be a front man.

Archived