Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does a keyboard player do during an all guitar song?

kwyn

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides leave the stage, get a beer and a girl. What do you play if your band is doing a song that doesn't have keys in the original?

Totally depends on the specific tune.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Maybe just play some faint pad sounds in the background.

That seems to work for me sometimes.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I play guitar :wave:

Seriously, I'm not very good on guitar, but I'm good enough to play rhythm during solos. Most rock songs are pretty simple enough that chunking through a few chords sounds better and more true to the original than trying to make up some keyboard part.

That said, there are some songs that lend themselves to keys. AC/DC, I'll be playing guitar. Georgia Satellites, I'll be playing piano, and even do a piano solo...but it's just basic blues.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes it depends on the song, Sometimes I add wurli piano, especially if the original has two guitars and we're doing it with one guitarist. Wurli functions pretty well to take up the sonic duty of a rhythm guitar, IMO. So especially under a guitar lead, where there's rhythm guitar on the original, vamping on the wurli seems to fill it out nicely.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Depends on the song. Sometimes just some discrete Piano chords to thicken out the texture and keep the groove can be effective.

Or, there might be some secondary guitar lines that could sound interesting on a different patch.

Or, if you really want to wind up your guitarist - play their lead line -

let's face it, every time a band plays Superstition, 9 times out of 10 the guitarist decides to play the Clav riff anyway! :-)

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Haha, it does depend. Unless there is space and the tune might be helped by a little something.

Example - acoustic guitar or clean pick and/or strum. A darker patch, maybe first 3 drawbars of an organ at less volume playing block chords, no strum "underneath" or "behind" the guitar would add something. Or even a bass line, if no bass part there. If no "lead" or lead licks coming from the guitar, maybe a brighter, thinner patch playing between the vocal line or filling in where not much is going on.

Some folks like to play it like the record. But remember, any song can be arranged in any way for any band whether 2 piece, or 9 piece or orchestra. It's a matter of taste and skill to be a good arranger. And there are many examples in history where a "cover" or another version, alternate arrangement, became more popular than the original. Sometimes rightly so. And sometimes it's refreshing to hear skillful musicians deliver their take on a popular tune. And MTV's unplugged on occasion also successfully highlighted - sometimes it's nice to hear a tune stripped down to its skeleton.

Be creative and enjoy making music in the moment!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Keyboard Mag\EM had 5 suggestions HERE last week. I used the 11th and 13th suggestion and sustaining the note during a guitar driven song that went on for 4eva at the weekend.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Choices:

- Rhythm guitar

- B3

- Wurli

- keytar sorry, that was my Tourette's acting up

- BGV

- keytar I'm taking pills and having injections...it won't last long

- Lagavulin

- chat up the fetching winsome young thing who's been eyeballing you...

- keytar I repeat myself when under stress...

Tambourine!

And if you're gonna be playing a guitar part on keys, for the love of everything that's holy, learn the exact voicings!

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I'm done playing second fiddle behind guitars. I have done that for too many years - no more.

I play guitar too. But the guitar player dominated the song selection so much that I played guitar 80% of the time and most people didn't even know I was a keyboard player. I was not happy with that image, I was vocal about my frustrations, nothing improved for two years so I left the band.

My next music project will be my own band, which may not include a guitar player. I've seen way too many club bands playing guitar songs. There are a lot of good keyboard songs that are not getting played because guitar players don't have any fun playing them on guitar. Well they've had their fun.

Tambourine!

...with one hand, piano bass (or reasonable facsimile) doubling guitars with the other hand.

Play one of the guitar parts on keyboard even if you know how to play Actual Guitar - it's actually kinda fun. I do this with the acoustic guitar part on Long Train Running, and the rhythm guitar on Long Cool Woman.

Picking up a guitar is still my favorite option. :rawk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

What do you play if your band is doing a song that doesn't have keys in the original?

Those are the best tunes: I write my own part and play the hell out of it!

Listen to Jon Lord.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I do this with the acoustic guitar part on Long Train Running,

I do that also and fill out the choruses with B3.

I put the guitar down and got back onto B3 during the guitar fest as there is only so much I can do playing 2nd guitar and after a while I figure I can make an extended jam more interesting on keys once the groove is laid down.

Try to give the song a Santana or Black Crowes feel.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Besides leave the stage, get a beer and a girl.

in addition to what you already posted I used to pee. :w00t:

I suppose the magic in that four course meal is all in the order of sequence.

of course. Pee immediately after leaving the stage. ;)

:nopity:

Play chords with lots of extensions. :evil:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just picked up some shaker eggs and have had a lot of fun throwing some percussion into the mix. Otherwise, I 2nd (3rd?) the suggestions for wurly and organ depending on the tune. Also, some distorted clav can work great.

Archived