Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-2000

ElmerJFudd

Hi all,

Despite the RD2000 being the flagship Roland stage piano, it receives a great deal of critcism for it's 'out of the box' piano sounds. One owner has even posted a video on Youtube warning people not to purchase the RD2000.

I am trying to encourage owners to upload their own 'tweaked piano settings' (V or SN) to either this Forum or the Roland RD2000 Facebook user group for the general benefit of all.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/615248902018527/?

No costs would be involved except for perhaps a little time.

I have contacted Ed Diaz, Ben Allen and Roland U.K. to see if they could assist with one or two of their own settings for owners to enjoy. I genuinely hope somebody out there see's the benefit of what I am trying to do.

If anybody doubts the concept of this idea, please have a look at the Casio PX5-S Forums and see what a great job the brilliant Mike Martin and the forum members have done with sharing sounds and settings. All free of charge.

Chris

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Sorry if my previous post was a little misleading in which I was asking for any RD2000 owners to upload their 'tweaked' settings for other owners to enjoy. Just one (or even two) individual 'tweaked' piano setting that they have created using the E.Q. and tone designer would be more than adequate and gratefully appreciated. I'm just trying to get this idea going for the benefit of many of the RD2000 owners (myself included) that struggle with the 'out of box' sounds provided.

On a personal level, I now understand the concept of E.Q. settings and the tone designer options, but how to actually use them to create a useable go to 'tweaked' piano that sounds acceptable to the ear is beyond me. Where does one start?

In a perfect world, Roland would sell a disk or USB of ready to use registrations/settings for the instrument (similar to those provided for arranger keyboards). This is a Stage piano I know, but it did not stop people like Dave Weiser from creating some stunning piano presets for the Casio PX5-S Stage piano.

I would welcome any opinions (positive and negative) and fully understand this Forum is made up of predominantly pro gigging musicians, not home players like myself.

Chris

• 7 months later...
I'm interested in seeing how this contrasts with the new Korg Grandstage. The 2000 is more nerve-center-minded, whereas the Korg is pretty clearly a more sophisticated SV-1 upgrade. There's an interesting Venn diagram crossover going on. The RD-2000 is so capable, it reminds me of David Sancious praising the Peavey DPM-C8 master controller, which offered multiple pedal jacks for running external hardware. I get the feeling that a lot of RD's will be cropping up anywhere that can pay the freight. Its definitely a 10-year-plus love affair waiting to happen. :drool: All it needs is a DeepMind12 on top and you're good to go! :hitt:

Zombie thread alert!

Went to Sam Ash on 34th St to see what DPs and workstations they had and to get a lay of the land.

My impressions:

Montage8:

Hugely disappointing in both sound and action.

Way too little resistance, almost felt unweighted.

EPs were meh. no life or snimation.

If this is whats in the new CP, no thanks.

Korg Grandstage:

Underwhelming. Better action than SV1, but still not playable

I know its supposed to be the same soundset as SV and Kronos, but they seemed lower fidelity and absolutely uninspiring.

Kawai MP7 & M11:

Great actions, especially MP11, Pianos are fair, a little glassy. Didnt try any other sounds.

Nord Electro HP:

Best sounds and action so far. I could deal but wouldnt be inspired.

Roland RD 2000:

Great, great board. Inspiring action and sounds. I lost 30 mins just playing the EPs, best Ive heard nest to Buschs Purgatory Creek.

Im still not crazy about the length of this design, but its a TANK. Solid AF.....

I might have one of these in my future.....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Korg Grandstage:

... I know its supposed to be the same soundset as SV and Kronos

Kronos sound engines, yes, but not SV1, which is entirely different.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The bottom line for me with the RD2000 is that I enjoy playing it. I like the feel and response. Is it the most accurate piano? Don't know, don't care. It feels like an instrument. If I ever need something more accurate I will play a real piano. I never really enjoyed the feel of the Nord Stage.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The bottom line for me with the RD2000 is that I enjoy playing it. I like the feel and response. Is it the most accurate piano? Don't know, don't care. It feels like an instrument. If I ever need something more accurate I will play a real piano. I never really enjoyed the feel of the Nord Stage.

+1

+2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Went to Sam Ash on 34th St to see what DPs and workstations they had and to get a lay of the land.

My impressions:

Montage8:

Hugely disappointing in both sound and action.

Way too little resistance, almost felt unweighted.

EPs were meh. no life or snimation.

If this is whats in the new CP, no thanks.

Korg Grandstage:

Underwhelming. Better action than SV1, but still not playable

I know its supposed to be the same soundset as SV and Kronos, but they seemed lower fidelity and absolutely uninspiring.

Kawai MP7 & M11:

Great actions, especially MP11, Pianos are fair, a little glassy. Didnt try any other sounds.

Nord Electro HP:

Roland RD 2000:

Great, great board. Inspiring action and sounds. I lost 30 mins just playing the EPs, best Ive heard nest to Buschs Purgatory Creek.

Im still not crazy about the length of this design, but its a TANK. Solid AF.....

I might have one of these in my future.....

Jim I agree with your assessment. I revisited the Kawai MP11SE at NAMM -in fact that's the only place I've played one- and while the action was great for a stage piano, the sound left me sort of cold.

The Montage 8 has that same (or very close) action that I played in the CP73 and on my old S90. As a piano player, I just can't dig in enough on it.

I play the Korg at least twice a month at a church and dread it. :cry:

I was going to revisit the RD2000 again as it had been some time but I just was in the general vicinity of the reduced space they allotted for Roland this year. The sound emanating from the room was very loud and ugly...so I said to myself - no way, ain't going in there. ;)

I like that keyboard the maybe half dozen times I've played it. I heard it being richer and thicker sounding then the CP4 in the middle for chords in a side by side comparison. A little slower keyboard response then the CP4, but not by much. Yeah I feel it's their best. It's not a CP300 but it's still a boat anchor to schlep around.

Would be nice for home, studio or a fixed location, like a church.

Its really interesting to hear your well-considered observations, Dave!

I had a CP73 on pre-order and cancelled it when I walked out the door of Sams.

Playing that Montage8 REALLY soured me on the CP. ESPECIALLY the EPs as thats where Ill be living publicly with this new project. As you said, I just couldnt dig in on it!

The Grandstage was just underwheming sonically and I actually clenched my jaw after i played the first chord! I gave it the old college try for about half a minute and went back to the RD.

The length and weight are the only things keeping me frm dropping the hammer.

Ive started to tell myself Well, if I just get a Gator case and lift it on and off the stand and wheel it out, maybe.....

The built-in audio interface is a BIG PLUS as well....

Also, my lady has a Cooper Clubman and Ive got to measure the cargo space tomorrow.

(She might upgrade to a new Outback in the fall, tho.)

The thought of keeping in the apartment is sounding attractive!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Montage8:

Korg Grandstage:

Kawai MP7 & M11:

Nord Electro HP:

I think that's the first time I've seen someone prefer the Nord HP's TP100 over some and possibly all of those others!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Montage8:

Korg Grandstage:

Kawai MP7 & M11:

Nord Electro HP:

I think that's the first time I've seen someone prefer the Nord HP's TP100 over some and possibly all of those others!

I preferred it UNTIL I played the RD, Scott.

I also said I could deal implication being IF I HAD NO OTHER CHOUCE AT THE TINE

Robert Bosch, 1919

Jim,

When I played the RD-2000 for the first time I played the EPS. as well for a good bit of the time. The feel and sound made me go back and try the entire sound set in the RD 2000 and I purchased about 2 weeks later. The vintage synth sounds in the AXIAL library is pretty good. BTW the factory piano sounds are not the best out of the box but with tweaking and the new V piano tones you have alot of choices.

Korg Grandstage:

Agreed. The GrandStage feels and sounds like a DP version of a Kronos to me.

IKMO, neither the Kronos nor the GrandStage feels and/or sounds like the like the SV-1. YMMV.

OTOH, I dig the RD-2000 as a single DP solution. Split, layer and real-time tone shaping capabilities are nice. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yes, I got that. "Those others" referred to the listed ones you preferred it to (Montage, Grandstage, MP7, MP11).

Jim,

When I played the RD-2000 for the first time I played the EPS. as well for a good bit of the time. The feel and sound made me go back and try the entire sound set in the RD 2000 and I purchased about 2 weeks later. The vintage synth sounds in the AXIAL library is pretty good. BTW the factory piano sounds are not the best out of the box but with tweaking and the new V piano tones you have alot of choices.

Thanks for the tips, Benny!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Korg Grandstage:

Agreed. The GrandStage feels and sounds like a DP version of a Kronos to me.

IKMO, neither the Kronos nor the GrandStage feels and/or sounds like the like the SV-1. YMMV.

OTOH, I dig the RD-2000 as a single DP solution. Split, layer and real-time tone shaping capabilities are nice. :cool:

The SV-1 sounds the BEST out of all the Korg offerings, BUT the action is a deal breaker. I got and returned THREE of them!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Yes, I got that. "Those others" referred to the listed ones you preferred it to (Montage, Grandstage, MP7, MP11).

I preferred the ACTION of the MP11 and to a lesser extent, the 7 (I have tried both the SE versions and thier antecedents, btw.

But, I have to say MONTAGE8 was the HUGEST disappointment.....(sigh)

Robert Bosch, 1919

The SV-1 sounds the BEST out of all the Korg offerings, BUT the action is a deal breaker. I got and returned THREE of them!

That's how the the FTEC (finger to ear connection) is different among us. :)

I have not played or heard another DP or ROMpler that would inspire me to sell my SV-1. ;)

On paper, it would seem that I could consolidate my SV-1 and Prophet 6 into a Kronos 88, Nord Stage 3 or RD-2000.

That is the thought until I have played them all and go back to my existing KB rig. I just can't do it. :laugh:

However, in your case, it seems the RD-2000 is the *right* DP to grab. Go for it mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

That's how the the FTEC (finger to ear connection) is different among us. :)

I have not played or heard another DP or ROMpler that would inspire me to sell my SV-1. ;)

On paper, it would seem that I could consolidate my SV-1 and Prophet 6 into a Kronos 88, Nord Stage 3 or RD-2000.

That is the thought until I have played them all and go back to my existing KB rig. I just can't do it. :laugh:

However, in your case, it seems the RD-2000 is the *right* DP to grab. Go for it mayne. :thu::cool:

Thanks Prof, and.... I feel you on the finger to ear connection part!

Im just balking at the length and weight of the RD.

Forte is a known quantity to me and I know it will grow over the years with me.

Then, I can safely leave the VV at home except for showcases and super special events....

Robert Bosch, 1919

So, I think I gonna drop the hammer on the RD-2000.

One more play at Sams to be sure, but Im finding everything expect the length and weight to be congenial.

I may end up keeping this at home and getting a Forte7 as the best solution, lol!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Been on the fence also on the rd2000 for about 6 months for that exact reason. Was hoping for 76 or another alternative to pop up at Namm Think I,m gonna pull the trigger too..

Roland will do a 73-76 weighted when HE double toothpicks freezes over, unfortunately.

And they will dump the stupid joystick then as well!

Robert Bosch, 1919

RABid, you nailed it. When I first put my hands on the RD, I realised what Ive been missing in playing Nords (except for the NP4) ..... ENJOYMENT.

Frankly, all these keyboards are emulations, substitues for the REAL THINGS....especially for me. I dont want to take my vv out, except on special occasions. And if Im backlining, I try to get a good Suitcase, if possible.

I would never turn down a NS Compact in a backline pinch, btw!

The RD FEELS AND SOUNDS GOOD! ESPECIALLY THE EPs!

Robert Bosch, 1919

When I tried out the RD 2000 there was a Montage beside it and I tried both and came back to the RD 2000 feel or connection don't care it just felt right. Roland is ol' school in that they have phone support for the RD 2000 which is nice although not that complicated. I connected to the EPS. for some reason maybe the action and sound as well. I debated about 3 weeks before I pulled the trigger and been happy so far.

Roland will do a 73-76 weighted when ...

76 A-C w/ oct-up/dwn switch coupled to momentary ft-switch please !

A.C.

THAT would be GREAT, AL

Robert Bosch, 1919

Thinking about buying it as an extention to my kawai's vpc1, to use on-stage.

Although I know nothing about on-stage keyboards and have 0 experience using them, outside of the stages (transportation, heaviness etc.) Is it a decent option?

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

Thinking about buying it as an extention to my kawai's vpc1, to use on-stage.

Although I know nothing about on-stage keyboards and have 0 experience using them, outside of the stages (transportation, heaviness etc.) Is it a decent option?

yes, better than decent

Robert Bosch, 1919

yes, better than decent

That's good to hear!

What do you think would be some other boards to compare & choose from (for a trio / quartet set up)?

edit.: I'll add that buying rd-2000 would wound my wallet hardly :(

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

yes, better than decent

That's good to hear!

What do you think would be some other boards to compare & choose from (for a trio / quartet set up)?

edit.: I'll add that buying rd-2000 would wound my wallet hardly :(

do you mean other 88 note weighted controllers?

theres plenty of topics regarding this subject on this forum

Read the topic

"searching for info on this forum"

btw, you get what you pay for

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived