Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've never liked arpeggiators...

Sundown

It's a feature that I've never found appealing...

Absent Duran Duran's "Rio", I can't think of a track that I like that uses one (Pink Floyd's "On the Run" is a programmed analog sequence, not an arpeggiator").

I've tried turning them on as a random idea generator, but I haven't had much luck their either. It's not for lack of chord knowledge for certain... I just don't find the sound or the results appealing.

Thoughts?

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absent Duran Duran's "Rio", I can't think of a track that I like that uses one (Pink Floyd's "On the Run" is a programmed analog sequence, not an arpeggiator").

I've tried turning them on as a random idea generator, but I haven't had much luck their either. It's not for lack of chord knowledge for certain... I just don't find the sound or the results appealing.

Thoughts?

why about arp peggios ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Thoughts?

Well, it depends on the capability of the Arp or Seq. Like, if your Arp only does up, down and random at varying frequency (whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, and thirty secondths) - well yeah - it's just not that versatile. Having a swing parameter helps - as does layering tracks. But a looping seq obviously can do a lot more and allow for wider exploration of your ideas. Arps as defined in Yamaha motifs however are a whole different thing. Then you have the KARMA engine on Korg and Yamaha keyboards which is pretty cool. Although it doesn't have as huge a following as I would have thought.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

As you say, there's more than one type of arpeggiator, and the one on the Jupiter-4 (maybe it was the Jupiter-8) may have been labeled "random" but seemed to generate very musically pleasing results (for Nick Rhodes at least).

I generally write my own arpeggiations using my ears and music theory.

I did, however, like the latch arpeggiation mode on the Korg MS2000 virtual analog synth that I owned for a number of years, as it allowed me to get nice pedal tones that occasionally opened up into up/down arpeggios.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Duran Duran had quite a few songs that used it tastefully. There were quite a few songs in the 80s that made good use of it I thought. Animotion -Obsession, Human League - Don't You Want me except that now I've heard and played it so many times that I hope I never hear it again, Loverboy had some decent arpeggiator usage, I could go on.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well, it depends on the capability of the Arp or Seq. Like, if your Arp only does up, down and random at varying frequency (whole, half, eighth, sixteenth, and thirty secondths) - well yeah - it's just not that versatile. [...] Arps as defined in Yamaha motifs however are a whole different thing. [...]

Yes. Having thousands of factory Arps available on my Motif XS and XF - some reasonably complex - as well as being able to create my own from Song Or Pattern tracks, makes them quite useful at times.

If anyone is interested in the details, see:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/arpeggios_explored_part_i

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

the only thing I have ever done with my Motif XF, is use it for what is called Performances in Yamaha speak.

that means I play chords with my left hand, and solo with my right.

it is incredibly fun.

the arpeggiators play along with me, drums, bass, and whatever else.

truly bliss.

so, I love arpeggiators. more than I can say with words.

A long time ago it was a cool thing. It even sounded good on a few records. Then, it became corny.

IMO, those factory arps make professional KBs sound like an arranger. I hate pressing a key and hearing what sounds like a dated sequence.

My synth has an arpeggiator that I'll never use. Thankfully, due to limited polyphony, I don't have to worry about hitting a key and hearing a racket. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'll clarify my earlier statements that I enjoyed the arp's in the earlier analogs, but not so much the modern stuff.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

IMO, those factory arps make professional KBs sound like an arranger. I hate pressing a key and hearing what sounds llike a dated sequence.

This. ^^^

Spot on.

Sundown

[...] I hate pressing a key and hearing what sounds like a dated sequence. [...]

Fortunately, nobody is compelled to do that.  :)

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Tempo locked gates, delays and arpeggiators are the reigning "flavor of the month" these days in of all places contemporary Country music :o

Really? I don't listen to country, but that surprises me. I just don't hear it fitting with the music.

Sundown

I don't listen to country, but that surprises me

I suspect you have more traditional Country in your head. All the top current stuff is programmed and full of sounds that would make Roy Acuff and Ernest Tubb spin :laugh:

I suspect you have more traditional Country in your head. All the top current stuff is programmed and full of sounds that would make Roy Acuff and Ernest Tubb spin :laugh:

Interesting...

Sundown

I don't usually rely on arpeggiators unless a song specifically uses one.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised when seeing how many options are available in the one found in the Roland XP-10. It offers 29 possibilities.

That's a lot easier to carry to gigs vs. a Jupiter 8!

Vangelis did some cool things with them. My KORG mono/poly has some really cool options with its arpeggiator because among other things you can assign each note in the cycle to a different oscillator, which if you set each oscillator to a different octave and or waveform, and depending on how many notes in the arpeggios can produce sort of random but very musical results!

The one thing I hate about it is that in an ascending descending pattern it always repeats the top and bottom notes, which can be cool, but I always wished you could also not have those repeated.

My KORG Kross also has one I've used a bit, but I find it a bit of a head scratcher to set up. I don't use them like arranger keyboards and I'd prefer a simpler but more accessible arpeggiator.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I've used one arp in the now almost 5 years I've been regigging with modern (post-80s) gear. Its a simple note repeater, I used it on Candy-O back when the Cars trib was going. So I guess they aren't really my personal thing. Plenty of songs that have used them tastefully in my musical life, not going to knock the concept ... there's plenty of great applications and plenty of cheesy ones. One can find whichever answer they want to.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Archived