Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter solidarity

MAJUSCULE

Loaded my gear back in from a couple rehearsals tonight. Winter has finally arrived for real. It snowed lightly through the day and will probably continue through the night. It's about -10 or 15 C.

It's not bad yet, but that just made me think of the months ahead. Tonight wasn't so bad, just a light rehearsal rig, back home before 10 pm. But come January or February, with the full rig, at 3 am? Oy vey, why we do this, eh?

I guess playing music is pretty damn fun if we put up with that crap. Stay strong, keypals of chilly locations. There are several months of cold and dark yet before the dawn of spring.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bulk of my gigging years were in Buffalo, Western NY, and Northwestern PA: I can't tell you how much I came to loathe snow.

It was a contributing factor to be giving up gigging, and moving to the Deep South.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I've gotten my rig down to 2 trips to the car, and that includes my guitar. For me, weight each trip is less of an issue as number of trips. A fellow keyboard player came to a show a couple weeks ago and said, "I'm standing here in awe of the simplicity of your rig". I have to be honest, any time I rethink my rig or think of buying it, whether or not it will add or reduce number of trips is a key factor.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Got the R14 rock-n-roller cart to reduce trips for certain gigs. I don't have to use it most of time (can park at the curb) and this is Florida (I'd be more tempted to use it in the summer to avoid losing 20 pounds of sweat with multiple trips)...

And here I am looking at jobs in Minnesota :) Guess the grass is always greener!

GLobal warming is my friend..... I HATE being cold, and manage to fit more layers on my body than my bandmates can believe is humanly possible.... But for me the worst thing about winter is simply having to drive on scary, slippery - and all too often inadequately or completely ungritted - roads. Uncontrolled skids.....I did a complete 180* one night on a (fortunately empty) lane on the way home from a gig... :sick:

And don't even mention the ice/fog combo..... :mad:

But we are having an exceptionally warm winter so far, so I cannot complain... Roll on Spring!

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Today was the first real snowfall in Montreal. Late for us (normally we have a white Hallowe'en or thereabouts)... so I'm trying to be thankful and optimistic. But what gets me more than the snow and the cold is the lack of sunlight - leave for a function gig at 2:30 pm and get to the gig and it's already sunset...

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

David, I saw the video on FB of the two busses, the cop, the snow plow, and the rest of them. :laugh: Fortunately, I heard there were no injuries.

The lack of sunlight is pretty serious indeed. My uni campus was mostly below ground, I'm looking forward to being outside during the day come January. :cool:

Last few days here were cold and rainy. Today is sunny and near 70°F. Tomorrow should be as well, but then overnights will get near freezing. I like being warm. That's part of why I moved south. When it's cold, I can't get warm enough. I hate being stuck indoors with the A/C cranked. I've had gigs where I accidentally was positioned under the A/C duct. :eek:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Alright, that's enough from you warm weather folks!

Although so far I can't complain too much, it's been highs in the 30s (F, that would be more like 0C for those of you in the rest of the world). The thing that always sucks in St. Louis is all the freezing rain and sleet. I would rather get a good dry snow any day! Cold is fine. Cold and wet sucks.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Maybe you need to have these guys come back to your town for another concert with your town's symphony orchestra. They did it in '72 (where this recording was made) and again in '92... They're due back soon, they're still around... and they'll help brighten up your cold city!

ZZZ021618-UV.jpg

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I had an opportunity to buy that Leslie when I was 18. At least that's what the seller told me.

Yes Eric, this is the land of ice and snow and biting cold. I once bought my friend's '78 Chev van so that I would have something to haul a Rhodes, Hammond, Leslie etc. rig. Problem was that my friend's carburator rebuild was crap, so when the temperatures dropped below 20 C, the only way to start the van and keep it running was to pop the engine cowel off and hold the butterfly valve thing open with a long screwdriver while I drove with the engine fan blasting cold air against my legs. The inside of the van was even colder than the outside of the vehicle. That's when I finally discovered Sorel boots. Ah, the days of being a student....

If I had to leave the organ in the mobile meat locker ( a.k.a.van) the night before a gig, I often had to use a hair drier to heat the oil and tone generators to get the instrument started.

Archived