Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Popcorn on Moog

konaboy

Hi guys, thought some of you would enjoy my cover of Popcorn on my new Moog. I couldn't think of a more fitting song for my first performance.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/FawJuXhYxFI/mqdefault.jpg

Probably a lot of people are not even aware that the song is from 1972, having only heard more recent remixes, like the dreadful crazy frog.

But my version is more true to the original (which was also on a moog) Hope you like it, the moog definitely has some magic, I doubt if this song would work as well with any other synth.

cheers

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds great! It's funny, because I had never researched the song and am so used to seeing "Popcorn" patches on Curtis filter based synths that it never occurred to me that it had originally been done on a Moog!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I just found the original on YouTube. I like yours better; it has more depth, dynamics, and organic phrasing and flow. A more pleasing timbral balance and articulation control as well. Well done!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

wow, this is really quite remarkable. My assumption that the Hot Butter 1972 version was the original is incorrect.

Here's the original from 1969!!!!! Today is the first time I ever heard this. It's really quite awful!

[video:youtube]

and for the record, here's the version that I've always thought to be the first:

[video:youtube]

Thanks to previous comment preferring my version, but I take advantage of 40 years of progress in sequencing, effects, synths and audio recording :)

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Yep, it's the 1969 version I was talking about. :-) I didn't know about it either until I did a Wiki search.

Yeah, the Evolver Keyboard had one too, as does the P12 (though that one might be an add-on from someone who posted at the DSI forum with a full retro patch bank set).

Actually, I like yours better than BOTH of the originals.

I think the original key works the best overall, but am betting the transposition in the 1972 version was due to key range of whatever it was played on.

I am now personally inspired to do a hybrid acoustic/synth cover of the song, using accordion and clarinet in addition to ethnic instruments. :-)

Haha, I'm already starting to work on my perverse take of this song.

Not far enough along yet, but it may be klezmer by the time I'm done. :-)

I'm having a ball with this. I am now convinced its original author was a polka musician and that he simply transcribed to the Moog!

Am I correct that this song is in C Dorian? It has a Bb and Eb and no other accidentals.

I am almost done. I have one more part in the bridge to decide about, and also I may switch the Theremin to a Viola or Violin, even though it only appears once or twice.

So, the instrumentation thus far is a bit 1920's/1930's:

Banjo

Clarinet

Marimba

Musette

Theremin

Tuba

The marimba plays the main lead, and uses some rolls here and there.

I should mention that, in another act of perversion, the main melody isn't that anymore though -- it is now a backing part, and the harmonies and counterpoint form the main melodic thrust, except near the end when the main theme dominates.

Well, the funny thing is that I already had the acoustic inspirations, but would have done a Moog cover except that konaboy's is already perfect and better than the original, so mine would just be redundant. :-)

I want to meet Pan's People.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Good work Konaboy. I like your version a lot. I have to say I think the Hot Butter version is the disaster. The timing is all over the place, exacerbated by the drummer trying to mimic the rhythmic phrase of the lead synth. Make one appreciate the tight timing you find commonplace today.

Busch.

oh btw, would anybody like me to share my Moog cover of Air on a G String? What if I tell you that Pan's People make another appearance?

I would like to see/hear that if you're serious. I have heard so many versions of that piece, but I still enjoy a fresh take on it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I was fortunate to see the Gershon Kingsley Moog Quartet live -1970-ish. There were four players, each with a modular Moog (System 15 size) though they did have one early Minimoog. The players were students at Juilliard and Eastman, accomplished. They played a lot of Bach though they had pop pieces as well. What made the concert so memorable was that it was quadraphonic. There had sets of Bose 800s in the four corners of the auditorium. Someone was mixing all this, so you might hear a four part fugue with each part coming from a different quadrant. Filter sweeps would crisscross overhead, etc. Sonically wonderful stuff. It remains one of my favorite concert experiences.

Busch.

I was fortunate to see the Gershon Kingsley Moog Quartet live -1970-ish. There were four players, each with a modular Moog (System 15 size) though they did have one early Minimoog. The players were students at Juilliard and Eastman, accomplished. They played a lot of Bach though they had pop pieces as well. What made the concert so memorable was that it was quadraphonic. There had sets of Bose 800s in the four corners of the auditorium. Someone was mixing all this, so you might hear a four part fugue with each part coming from a different quadrant. Filter sweeps would crisscross overhead, etc. Sonically wonderful stuff. It remains one of my favorite concert experiences.

Busch.

So jealous, that must have been awesome!

I remember that "Popcorn" was THE go to song to play/watch on your newly assembled Heathkit Color Organ... wow I'm gettin' old!

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

The first time I looked up "Popcorn" on YouTube and saw it performed by everything but tuned dog barks, I just laughed. For a modest little synth ditty, it holds its own pretty well against Keith's "Lucky Man" solo as a historic icon.

“Drugs at our age?
 You don’t have to take them forever.
 Once you’ve opened the doors of perception,
  you can see what’s going on; you’ve got the ideas.”
        ~ Dave Brock on Hawkwind’s late-period purple patch

This was a lot of work doing Brasilian percussion is non-trivial.

Not sure I have the energy for even a rough balance/mix tonight; well see.

The final instrumentation is:

violin

viola

clarinet

tuba

marimba

musette

banjo

theremin

surdo (22, 20, 18)

caixa

repenique

timba

rocar

tamborin

Preliminary mix and mastering is done... only mild reverb so far, then some limiting at the mastering stage.

Very hard to mix this sort of instrumentation, so I will only share DropBox links on an as-requested basis for now, if asked via PM.

I have to say I think the Hot Butter version is the disaster. The timing is all over the place, exacerbated by the drummer trying to mimic the rhythmic phrase of the lead synth.

Busch.

Wow, to be honest, I never noticed this (not that I heard that song too often). Indeed quite terrible.

Rudy

I was just talking about this with a co-worker today, who is our resident electro-mechanical engineer and has been around music technology since before I was born.

I asked him what they would have done back then for timing, and as I suspected, accurate time keepers weren't really available yet (don't forget, metronomes aren't exactly stable), so it was voltage-based and a bit irregular.

Recently, I listened to some Hot Tuna albums from that era, and I can barely stand them as the tempo is so inconsistent. It's not like I want rigid tempo -- and especially not quantized, which isn't the same thing -- but were the standards really that low in the late 60's and early 70's?

Recently, I listened to some Hot Tuna albums from that era, and I can barely stand them as the tempo is so inconsistent. It's not like I want rigid tempo -- and especially not quantized, which isn't the same thing -- but were the standards really that low in the late 60's and early 70's?

OMG, don't take San Francisco stoner bands of that era as the standard bearer for musical precision. Most of them could barely tune their instruments. :facepalm:

Moe

---

Archived