Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick 3 vintage analogs

J. Dan

Since Zawinul & Herbie were my initial, formative synth influences:

ARP 2600

Oberheim 8-Voice

Prophet 5

(which oddly enough, even now in my function band, are the first 3 Arturia plugs I go for when I need to cop a sound)

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting observations so far. If I just tally up the totals of everything everybody put on their list, and rank them, the top 3 are:

Minimoog (not much of a surprise)

CS80

TIE: Jupiter 8 vs Memorymoog.

However, that is just popular vote and doesn't take into account pairing up specific keyboards. And even a bigger factor, a lot of votes were split between similar keyboards (though many may disagree on the similarity).

SO I re-tabulated after combining JP6, JP8, and MKS80 into a generic "Jupiter", OB4, OB8, OBX(a) and SX (not Matrix 12) into "OB" (assuming there's enough differentiation between the earlier SEM based and up through Xa compared to the Matrix 12), and finally Prophet 5, 10, 600, and T8), into Prophet.

After doing that, the top 3 would be:

Minimoog

OB

Prophet

Memorymoog and Matrix 12 in either case were the other two that just barely got bumped out of the rankings, and Jupiter was just barely inked out by Prophet (by 1) when summed.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Ok, purely hypothetical. You have AP, EP, Hammond, all that. You can have ANY 3 vintage analog synths, but ONLY 3. Tuning and maintenance doesn't matter, weight and size doesn't matter, but performance does.

You want to cover as wide of a range of possibilities as you can with these 3. Think of all the various scenarios - mono/poly, hard sync, FM, filters, single/dual OSC, patch storage, modular......3 synths to cover everything.

What do you pick and why?

I choose whichever are worth the most. I either keep 'em if I like 'em or I sell 'em, pick up a Moog Voyager or whatever, and pocket the rest.

The spirit of the post was taking all of that out. What would you want in order to cover every sound you would ever want to cover. Of course this can vary if you're talking studio vs live, original vs cover, but again take transportation and maintenance out of it. I should have also said you can't sell it, you have to use it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You all (as this is a Yank site I should say y'aaalll :) ) missed two of the best ever analogues:

ARP ProSoloist

ARP Quadra

and I'll add Model D

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

The spirit of the post was taking all of that out. What would you want in order to cover every sound you would ever want to cover. Of course this can vary if you're talking studio vs live, original vs cover, but again take transportation and maintenance out of it. I should have also said you can't sell it, you have to use it.

Sorry, I was just being a smartass. I'd have to think about it, but I did overall, but I did mention the Moog Voyager to make my post semi-coherent. :D

I've been lucky enough over the years to spend at least some time with most of the great vintage analogs. So this list is in terms of which instruments inspired me the most. If I was looking for a specific project, this list would be different.

1. Minimoog Model D. I've owned mine since 2004, and it's still the king. I still find new inspiration in it, it can be so beautiful and smooth and melodic, or it can be an amazing noise machine. I recently did a set of improvised non-tonal electronic music using mostly the Mini and an Eventide H9Max, and it was a lot of fun.

2. Arp 2600. The electronic music lab I helped build in college had one, and i spent many hours patching it. I've wanted one ever since, but never found one I could afford. The 2600 is such a different beast from the Mini, I would think they would complement each other very well.

3. Oberheim XPander: Had a friend leave his at my studio for about a year. I knew he was going to sell it at the end of my loan, and I knew there was no way I could pay what he could get for it, but I do regret letting it go. It could do some of the prettiest, warmest pads I've ever programmed, and could rival my modular for pure insect noise. Such a versatile synth!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Crumar Spirit

EDP Wasp

ARP Avatar guitar synth

How to drive yourself batsh*t within 48 hours.

We don't need no steenking tuning. :D

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

This has been fun. I have a few questions after looking at the diversity of responses within similar groups.

First, the prophets: 5, 10, 600 - for those of you who selected one of these, what do you feel are the differentiating factors? I remember even just on the Prophet 5, different revs were considered better or worse. Would later revs of prophet 5 SOUND identical to 10 and 600? If you're OK with rev 3.x prophet 5, why not prophet 600? Etc.

Same question in OB's. If a 4-voice, why not an 8-voice? What about OBX-a compared to the former?

Jupiters: I know the 6 is different than the 8 - more features, inferior filters, then there's the MKS80 - sort of a rack mount JP8, but with the JP6 features and filters, right? Any discussion would be interesting,

Finally the Moog stuff. Is there anything that can't be done in a modular that can be done on a mini? How does the memory Moog fit? Was it picked only because of presets?

Dan

Finally the Moog stuff. Is there anything that can't be done in a modular that can be done on a mini?

That's an interesting question. I'm not certain, but I don't think the exact circuitry of a Mini can be found in the modulars. Just as other portable Moogs (like the Multimoog) did not sound exactly like a Mini, even if you stayed within the same operational parameters (i.e. created a sound that only required two audio oscillators, since the multi didn't have the third, IIRC). Each set of electronics seemed to be unique and have its own characteristics, despite other similarities. But also, there's an operational aspect. The modular requires more time and effort to learn, and in terms of the patches the minimoog patches that can be well replicated on a modular, possibly more time and effort to create them.

Finally the Moog stuff. Is there anything that can't be done in a modular that can be done on a mini? How does the memory Moog fit? Was it picked only because of presets?

Probably that and the polyphony are the biggies, though there are plenty of other differences. IIRC, a single oscillator on the Memorymoog could generate multiple waveforms simultaneously, it had sample and hold, a bunch of stuff... arpeggiator, sequencer, chord memory, MIDI... BUT... it didn't sound exactly like a Mini either.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Same question in OB's. If a 4-voice, why not an 8-voice? What about OBX-a compared to the former?

I don't know a lot about the Oberheims, but one of the cool things about the units comprised of SEM modules is that each voice had its own independent set of controls, so all the notes of a chord didn't have to sound exactly the same.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Jupiter 8 for sure, I had the op to buy a Jupiter 6 recently for a good deal, but couldn't bond with it.

Sequential Pro one for mono , a very hands on fat sound.

Oberheim OBXa , these 3 I think would complement each other very well.

Ill even go out on a limb, I love my JX-10 , huge sounding synth , cheap as chips , vencoven upgrade essential , 76 very nice feeling keys to play....last true analog of Roland .It has its own niche , but what it does it does well.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

For those who want a CS80....here ya go, https://reverb.com/item/3469507-ca-1978-yamaha-cs-80

Lets see, a new/old synth , or a new car..or a year of mortgage payments !

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

For those who want a CS80....here ya go, https://reverb.com/item/3469507-ca-1978-yamaha-cs-80

Not to worry - I heard Dan's buying! :cheers:

And providing for all maintenance :cheers::cheers:

And providing transportation to where ever needed...completely free of charge!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Not to worry - I heard Dan's buying! :cheers:

And providing for all maintenance :cheers::cheers:

And providing transportation to where ever needed...completely free of charge!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Don't know if you meant me or one of the other Dan's.....but I'll address them as such:

1) I can't in a million years afford a CS80, but if you can....

2) I have a company car (SUV) with company supplied gas. Chicago is not far. I could be coaxed into providing transportation if I got some hands-on time with the CS80 :)

Dan

Minimoog Model D

CS80

Prophet T8

...or maybe Oberheim 8 voice. Damn, I'm indecisive even in my fantasy life :blush:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Don't know if you meant me or one of the other Dan's.....but I'll address them as such:

Yeah, YOU DAN! Darn, I thought you were getting an early start on your Christmas list. :idk :D

BTW I'll give you my slant on the Memorymoog which wasn't in my 3 since I figured we get to keep what we already have. The Memorymoog really doesn't sound like a Minimoog and just like the Voyager people were initially rather disappointed. It is however a 'balls to the wall' monster of a synth in it's own right. I'd describe it as brash and biting like a screaming beast having a tantrum. It can be tamed and this is where it shines. To me it's always sounds raw although in a good way, unlike Rolands which shimmer sweetly but always sound processed (nothing wrong with this). Like the Andromeda the Memorymoog takes some work to find that sweet spot but that's my preferred kind of synth. Some prefer a synth that gets them there quickly and can't make a bad sound". I like my synths a bit rough, at least to start but I get that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I do think your stipulation of no maintenance brought out a lot of love for the Memorymoog. Without that most here would never have listed it. Nor would I recommend one to anyone other than those who can fix them - often.

Same question in OB's. If a 4-voice, why not an 8-voice?

Remember that the programmer does not store all settings. Some of the ones it does not store are VCF resonance and modulation depth (not counting the LFO on programmer). That leaves quite a bit of manual setting. Eight voice OB polysynth is too cumbersome. Four voices is trouble enough, even if you're not dialing up homogenous patches.

Memorymoog has voice modulation, which opens up a world of sounds beyond the atypical moog sounds.

As for modular moog vs minimoog... you can fit a minimoog under your arm.

As for modular moog vs minimoog... you can fit a minimoog under your arm.

Rules: "weight and size doesn't matter" ;-)

Jupiters: I know the 6 is different than the 8 - more features, inferior filters, then there's the MKS80 - sort of a rack mount JP8, but with the JP6 features and filters, right? Any discussion would be interesting.

Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6 and MKS-80 rev4 use the same custom Roland IR3109 IC in their filter designs.

That chip is what makes the sound characteristics.

For the MKS-80 rev5, it changed to the Roland IR305 IC which then was used in the MKS-70 too.

The Jupiter-8 has faster envelopes, generated by Roland IR3R01 IC while the Jupiter-6 and MKS-series have software generated envelopes.

Jupiter-6 and MKS-80 both offer 2 LFOs,- Jupiter-8 only 1 ...

Jupiter-6 and MKS-80 had MIDI,- Jupiter-8 needed more or less complete 3rd party retrofits ...

In the past, when I owned Minimoogs, Prophet-5, OB-8 and Taurus, I had no need for the Jupiter-8 and when the MKS-80 rev4 appeared, it was the better fit for my rig ´cause it had very good MIDI implmentation out of the box, 2 LFOs allowing usage of PWM and PM at different rates simultaneously and the 2HU rack format which I liked for transport.

I didn´t care about software generated modifiers in the MKS because it just worked.

MIDI was fast and tight w/ the MKS80 rev4.

It sounded great, I used it ´til 2012 and it never failed except 1 of the 4 CEM VCA chips used for cross-mod.

But,- the Jupiter-8 sounds beautiful.

I worked for a producer who owned one and every time we worked together I played and programmed it.

A.C.

Archived