Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zappa Keyboards and Gear Auction

Shamanczarek

Up for auction is an assortment of Frank Zappa's Keyboards, Guitars and recording gear. His Synclavier is not in this auction but his Bosendorfer Imperial Grand is.

Zappa Auction

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oberheim Eclipse - I never paid any attention to the fact Oberheim made a few digital pianos - doesn't sound like anything special. Probably decent/typical of the time period. Where did they source the action from?

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Oberheim Eclipse - I never paid any attention to the fact Oberheim made a few digital pianos - doesn't sound like anything special. Probably decent/typical of the time period. Where did they source the action from?

I had one of these---loved the look and loved that it was built into the case. The action was semi-weighted, and it was fine for me. The sounds kinda sucked, and very few---never used them, opting for the pianos on a Roland JV1010

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I had one of these---loved the look and loved that it was built into the case. The action was semi-weighted, and it was fine for me. The sounds kinda sucked, and very few---never used them, opting for the pianos on a Roland JV1010

They were a Viscount product from Italy, nothing at all to do with the Oberheim heritage or with Tom Oberheim. Gibson owns the Oberheim trademark and Viscount leased it from them.

Those Bosendorfer Imperial Grand 97-note grand pianos are crazy. There are a few composers that have certain pieces that can only be performed on one of those pianos. The extra octave is painted black so you can tell which keys they are.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Those Bosendorfer Imperial Grand 97-note grand pianos are crazy. There are a few composers that have certain pieces that can only be performed on one of those pianos. The extra octave is painted black so you can tell which keys they are.

I played at least three of them. They sound heavenly, different tone from any other concert piano.

The public back and forth bickering between Dweezil and Ahmet has been very sad.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

They're brilliant. The one I played had a little wooden flap at the end would cover the extra notes if you wanted to play it like a regular 88 and not get confused by which octave you're aiming for.

The public back and forth bickering between Dweezil and Ahmet has been very sad.
Especially because they used to even have a band together. I have this album and it's a blast. I'd love to lock them in a room together until they straighten this out.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PuvG7MBtL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Especially because they used to even have a band together. I have this album and it's a blast. I'd love to lock them in a room together until they straighten this out.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PuvG7MBtL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Apparently Gail is to blame for most of it, the way she set conditions for Dweezil playing Frank's music. It's appalling.

http://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/1982286-response-to-my-brother-s-open-letter

This part particularly struck me as totally insane for a mother to insist of her son:

Here's what I know. I signed a contact with our mother.

The contract defined the fees I was charged to perform our father's music. It defined the terms and delineated my profit participation for ZPZ merchandise that I offered at ZPZ concerts. However, she did not honor this contract.

As your lawyers are well aware, our mother consistently refused to give me an accounting of, or pay me any of the moneys owed to me for the ZPZ merch sold at my concerts since 2006. She cashed 100% of those checks for a decade. Ten years of legal obligations disregarded. Now, even with your knowledge of the signed contract and your awareness of her obligations, you have chosen to disregard all responsibilities to me that the contract delineates. This is completely unacceptable.

The ZFT was created in part to hold the rights of trademarks, publishing, copyrights, photographical images, etc in that trust, thus allowing Frank's heirs to protect his legacy from those who would abuse it.

In the name of protecting the music of our father, our mother created a legacy of her own. I'm not referring to that in a pleasant way. This legacy included years of failed multi-million dollar debt inducing lawsuits, a determination to posses every thing connected with our father, (down to trademarking his mustache) and a perception that anyone playing Franks music was somehow suspect and motivated by dubious intentions.

I will never understand why she created the unfair and unacceptable working relationship with me for Zappa Plays Zappa. Of the countless rock 'n roll bands made up of non family members that go out and play our father's music around the world, not one has ever had to directly pay the ZFT in order to play his music yet she demanded that of me, a family member. No other band has had their merchandise commandeered and absorbed 100% by the ZFT under any circumstances. In your refusal to honor the contract I had with her you are continuing the injustice she started.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Yeah, what he shares seems bizarre. I'm tending to side with Dweezil, but I'm sure I don't know the whole story. In any case, it's all pretty sad, especially because it seems Frank created the trust to preserve his legacy, and all this crap is tarnishing it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, what he shares seems bizarre. I'm tending to side with Dweezil, but I'm sure I don't know the whole story. In any case, it's all pretty sad, especially because it seems Frank created the trust to preserve his legacy, and all this crap is tarnishing it.

Actually, Gail Zappa created the trust in 2003; Frank had originally told her just prior to his death to sell the masters of all of his recordings and get out of the music business. From what I understand, he did not mention anything about publishing rights, and Gail ran with that to justify disregarding his instructions. When she died last year, she passed control of the trust to Ahmet (the main director of the trust) and Diva, though all four children are beneficiaries of the trust.

Dweezil Zappa can no longer call himself the "Zappa Plays Zappa" tour, I believe it is currently the "Cease and Desist Tour." Ahmet has taken over his mother's stance and is screwing Dweezil over. Personally, I think the fair thing would be any Zappa merch sold as a result of Dweezil touring should rightfully go to the trust, but Dweezil should be able to reap the proceeds of actually playing. Maybe paying a small fee for use of copyrighted songs.

Also, from all accounts it appears Gail went through a lot of the money pursuing lawsuits that didn't pan out (Zappanale in Germany, for example) as well as donating large amounts to no political discussions. I am not aware that the other Zappa children are doing anything significantly financially gainful, so this may be an impetus for the auction (which includes many personal items, clothing, memorabilia, furniture, etc. aside from music equipment). If they were smart, they would realize that Dweezil was the one who was truly moving the Zappa legacy forward, and they should thank him and accept the proceeds instead of cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Dweezil Zappa can no longer call himself the "Zappa Plays Zappa" tour, I believe it is currently the "Cease and Desist Tour."

It's changed again. The new tour name:

RTGbXBP.jpg

Archived