Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just had a "Damn, I'm old" moment

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I attended the first rehearsal for the musical at my son's school. Full of talented and peppy teens.. and the last time I played in a musical, none of these kids were even born. They are all very polite... They call me "Sir". :(

which is what the cute female barristas at Starbux call me

But are you ' old ' to teens or Steve Howe old ?

I remember from 2-3 yrs ago, some posters were ripping on his old age look, commenting he should not be gigging while looking his age.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

are you ' old ' to teens or Steve Howe old ?

I remember from 2-3 yrs ago, some posters were ripping on his old age look, commenting he should not be gigging while looking his age.

Hey, as long as he's still healthy and having fun, I say go for it.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My wife says she remembers when Steve Howe was the 'pretty one' in Yes. I think she's delusional but hey...

Steve's main problem is not his appearance (which actually isn't the best advert for vegetarianism, tbh) but his movement on stage. That 'chicken strut' move that may have looked cool when you were young and had lots of hair now makes you look, er, like a chicken...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

My wife says she remembers when Steve Howe was the 'pretty one' in Yes. I think she's delusional but hey...

Steve's main problem is not his appearance (which actually isn't the best advert for vegetarianism, tbh) but his movement on stage. That 'chicken strut' move that may have looked cool when you were young and had lots of hair now makes you look, er, like a chicken...

I see. Now we are getting a proper criticism .

1c81bd291d936fb7c6b8602495100ecb.jpg

I googled Steve Howe chicken strut for you and got ' server denied 1011 error'

Anyway, if he does not bother Jon Anderson, it does not bother me ;)

[70's Songwriter]

And some of his facial expressions as well. :rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

haha!

Rudy

If you begin a sentence with "So" or "Dude" you're still young, "Son!"

:D

So Dude...

Like, dude. Saying that is sooooo oooollldd...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53317/whats-origin-word-dude

For some time now, we have known the basic outline of the story of dude. The word was first used in the late 1800s as a term of mockery for young men who were overly concerned with keeping up with the latest fashions.

It later came to stand for clueless city folk (who go to dude ranches) before it morphed into our all-purpose laid-back label for a guy. What we didnt know was why the word dude was chosen in the first place.

Now, we finally have the answer. In 2013, Allan Metcalf (who wrote the book on OK) said in The Chronicle of Higher Education that a massive, decade-long dude research project has finally yielded convincing results.

The project belongs to Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen, described by Metcalf as googlers before there was Google. Along with the help of other colleagues, they have been combing through 19th century periodicals for years, slowly amassing the worlds biggest collection of dude citations. The latest issue of Cohens journal, Comments on Etymology, lays out, in 129 pages, the most solidly supported account yet of the early days of dude.

So where does dude come from? Evidence points to doodle, as in Yankee Doodle Dandy. Hes the fellow who, as the song has it, stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni. Macaroni became a term for a dandy in the 18th century after young British men returned from their adventures on the European continent sporting exaggerated high-fashion clothes and mannerisms (along with a taste for an exotic Italian dish called macaroni). The best a rough, uncultured colonist could do if he wanted to imitate them was stick a feather in his cap.

For some reason, Metcalf says, early in 1883, this inspired someone to call foppish young men of New York City doods, with the alternate spelling dudes soon becoming the norm. Some of the early mocking descriptions of these dudes seem awfully familiar today: A weak mustache, a cigarette, a thirteen button vest/A curled rim hata minarettwo watch chains cross the breast. Yep, sounds like a hipster. But that word has gotten so stale. We should all go back to dood, or maybe even doodle.

[70's Songwriter]

Archived