Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Saw Yes in concert last night. Really enjoyed it!

Bob L

Saw Yes last night at Mountain Winery, Saratoga CA. Really great venue. Last year I saw them (Toto opened) and I think Chris Squire's passing weighed heavily on the remaining band members and on Billy Sherwood to step in.

Last night they had a high level of energy. Steve Howe's guitar solo on Siberian Kahtru was amazing (with a lot of improvisation). Billy Sherwood's bass playing was outstanding and his harmonies with Jon Davison were perfect. The ex-Asia drummer filling in for Alan White played well and Geoff Downes did nice work (especially on the mini-moog bits from Topographic Oceans and from You and I).

It is tough to see bands from your youth where band members have passed, and in the case of Jon Anderson replaced by someone. But I try to enjoy hearing the music live, and be thankful for who is left to perform the music.

A real highlight was Leaves of Green (tail end of side 3 of Topographic Oceans). Simply beautiful acoustic guitar. After hearing that some of the haters on the Internet contributed to Keith Emerson's condition towards the end of his life, I purchase my tickets, enjoy the experience, and consider it a privilege to still hear this music live. If you have the opportunity to catch Yes before this tour ends, I think you will enjoy it.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad that I missed them last time through. I have tickets to see ARW though. So very looking forward to that. I've never seen Wakeman live, and Trevor Rabin is such an amazing all around talent. Hoping that Jon is back in form. I can still remember him singing "Soon" solo and just silencing the arena with his performance.

It can be tough to see your heros grow old.

I just saw Kansas and had that experience. The guys can still play, no doubt, and they still do a ton of shows a year. But there is some magic and savagery thats missing that I just can't put my finger on. In many ways they're better musicians than they were when they were young.

What really blows me away is how old the audience is for these shows. When did WE get so old?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

What really blows me away is how old the audience is for these shows. When did WE get so old?

Might have been last year, but I forget. Memory just ain't what it used to be. :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Have seen Yes with Jon Davison a few times, and have tix to see ARW next month (have seen just A and W when they toured together a few years back). Yes was fine, really good of course but it's just nowhere near the same for me as far as the feeling of magic and excitement of seeing them up to a decade or so back; I'm sorry but to me, Anderson's presence is required for real authenticity. He wrote and sang these classic songs and they are just infused with his own personal spirit, seeing an imitator do them, no matter how skilled, is just not the same at all. And with Anderson and Wakeman both perfectly alive and kicking, it is really frustrating to me as a fan that they can't get it together for our sake, for the music's sake, for their legacy's sake, for Chris Squire's sake even, and "get the band back together," bringing A&W (and sure, R, why not) back into the fold. Jon and Rick have both just, seems to me, way more than earned the right (no matter what personal differences or animosity is among any of them) to be on that stage under the Yes banner with Steve and Alan, and if they were, the whole thing would be more legitimate, musically superior and make a lot of fans much happier.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I'm sorry but to me, Anderson's presence is required for real authenticity. He wrote and sang these classic songs and they are just infused with his own personal spirit, seeing an imitator do them, no matter how skilled, is just not the same at all.

No need to apologize, as many of us feel the same way. I've seen Yes perform with the original lineup twice. Anything else is just "nice music."

I've seen Yes perform with the original lineup twice.

With Peter Banks and Tony Kaye? If so, please share your thoughts on those concerts. I've rarely have read much or watch any vids of the original lineup. I, like most of us, know of the subsequent lineups.

I've seen Yes perform with the original lineup twice.

With Peter Banks and Tony Kaye? If so, please share your thoughts on those concerts. I've rarely have read much or watch any vids of the original lineup. I, like most of us, know of the subsequent lineups.

Oh, not that lineup. I meant the original Close to the Edge members.

OK, has any forum members seen the original lineup in concert? I know it was back in the late 60's, but we do have a few members who share great anecdotes of groups like Deep Purple, The Nice, Iron Butterfly from the late 60's/early 70's era.

I saw Yes in I think '77 in San Diego. Maybe 76, who can remember. I think Tull headlined but I thought Yes was hands down the act. I was much more a yes Fan so it's subjective. Santana was early on the bill. Whaddashow!

That day I realize W is a god.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

For those wondering about Jon Anderson:

[video:youtube]

He took Roundabout down a step. :) His unique, ethereal vocal quality is still undiminished and intact after all these years. Pretty amazing for a guy who just turned 69 when this was recorded. He basically lived up in the stratosphere range wise.

They all sound fantastic - Jon, the band, choir and orchestra. The keyboardist is top notch. All bases covered - piano, organ, synth.

Quite an epic performance. Thanks for posting.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Interestingly, when Jon takes a tune down a step, his voice doesn't sound thick and heavy like many others...

Thankfully, it just sounds a little less high that it was, but the timbre is still the same.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it Bob. I saw them a couple of years ago with Chris Squire and also enjoyed it. I didn't see them back in the 70's and glad I got the opportunity to catch up.

Of all the heritage acts still touring they seem to cop a lot flack here. While their on stage energy, Davison apart, may more sedate than 30 years ago the opportunity to see them perform their classic albums is too good to pass up.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Unfortunately I saw them the week that Chris passed. It was a terrible performance, but I totally understand. I am sure they are much better now.

Jon Anderson is just amazing. What a voice. I will hopefully see him and Rick in LA in November.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm just so bummed that neither group will be playing anywhere close to Florida. :(

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I have a ticket to see ARW in Buffalo on Nov 2nd - anyone else here going to that show ???

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Archived