Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The Genius of Jamerson

cedar

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool.... Genius indeed.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

He was a complete train wreck in his personal life - lots of demons - but he played the bass like a virtuoso melody instrument. And he's all over every bit of Motown from Smokey to the J5.

My band is (almost) exclusively Motown and our bass player covers James' lines beautifully. It's the key to the signature sound of that music.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I love that video - I've seen quite a few friends share it over the last few days. Just like muzikteechur above, I'm very lucky to play in a soul band with a bass player who can choose to play very convincingly in Jamerson's style and when he does, it elevates the music. So melodic - and it always propels the music rather than sounding busy.

That is genius! So tight for so many notes. I know players that have the notes they just don't have the groove!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Comparable to Charlie Parker.. a true genius, and in ways I cannot explain.. he is incomparable... he has no equal. Oh, in my opinion.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I would say Jamerson taught me 90% of what I know about bass playing. (Jaco's responsible for most of the rest, but it's still a small fraction of JJ's influence).

Jamerson made me, and probably several thousand others want to learn to play bass. Long before I ever knew his name, his tunes filled my young ears on AM radio, and put a hook in my heart, and a groove in my bones . One of the first songs I toiled away to learn was "I Was Made to Love Her" by ear. Years later the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" was published, and learning Jamerson's lines always gives me a feeling of accomplishment. He was a genius musician.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I would say Jamerson taught me 90% of what I know about bass playing. (Jaco's responsible for most of the rest, but it's still a small fraction of JJ's influence).

Jamerson made me, and probably several thousand others want to learn to play bass. Long before I ever knew his name, his tunes filled my young ears on AM radio, and put a hook in my heart, and a groove in my bones . One of the first songs I toiled away to learn was "I Was Made to Love Her" by ear. Years later the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" was published, and learning Jamerson's lines always gives me a feeling of accomplishment. He was a genius musician.

Learning every transcription from "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" made me a much better bassist! :rawk:

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for the additional video! These videos are making me appreciate how often (and effectively) Jamerson used the technique of alternative octaves with the same note. Never occurred to me before how often he does that.

Archived