Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana announces "Jazz/Rock Supergroup"

cedar

Article - which is here: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/08/21/carlos-santana-announces-jazz-rock-supergroup-featuring-marcus-miller/ - begins this way:

Carlos Santana has formed a new jazz-rock supergroup called Mega Nova, and it promises to be incredible. The legendary guitarist has recruited an equally legendary band including keyboardist Herbie Hancock, saxophonist Wayne Shorter, drummer Cindy Blackman Santana, and bassist Marcus Miller.

Mega Nova will make their debut during a one-off concert at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California on August 24th. Of course, improvisation will be at the heart of the performance.

I wonder if this will be reminiscent of the "Swing of Delight" album, which also featured Herbie and Wayne (along with Tony Williams, Harvey Mason, Ron Carter and others).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Article - which is here: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/08/21/carlos-santana-announces-jazz-rock-supergroup-featuring-marcus-miller/ - begins this way:

The legendary guitarist has recruited an equally legendary band including keyboardist Herbie Hancock, saxophonist Wayne Shorter, drummer Cindy Blackman Santana, and bassist Marcus Miller.

Mega Nova ... Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, California on August 24th. Of course, improvisation will be at the heart of the performance.

O.k., let´s wait ...

All I know is, Carlos doesn´t play in the league of Shorter, Hancock and Miller,- ESPECIALLY when it comes to (modal) improvisation.

A.C.

Interesting line-up. Carlos has been known to dabble in jazz/fusion at very occasional times in his career. If the music will be anything like his "Caranvanserai" period (1972), it should prove worth checking out. Carlos also did a collaboration album with John McLaughlin at around the same time.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

When I was a kid - 3,000 years ago - I loved his early albums, up to and including Moonflower. Later, I also kind of dug the stuff with John McLaughlin (Love, devotion and surrender) and Herbie (Swing of Delight).

When I saw Santana while I was in college, I thought the concerts were great. Not sure now whether I saw Greg Rollie or Tom Coster (or both), but the whole band was great and the shows were extremely professional and fun.

At this point, I admit that I get somewhat bored listening to Santana. And I certainly wouldn't classify him as a great guitarist. But I'll go see this group if the cost isn't crazy.

IMHO: Perhaps the most overrated guitar player on ghetto planet.

By in large the whole rock guitar world is overrated. Back when Hendrix was learn to make noise with fuzz and wang bars Country players like Leon Rhodes, Eldon Shamblin, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Hank Garland, James Burton, Grady Martin etc... had been killing it for years. When I was a kid Joe Maphis just blew my mind.

I remember hearing the Woodstock album for the first time thinking the only one of those guys that could halfway play guitar worth a shit was the guy from 10 Years After.

That said I really liked my time in the Santana Tribute band. Playsing keys behind that percussion was killer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't feel he ever grew from the original Santana all that much, so that remains his defining work.

I think his long time association with Herbie , Wayne and others from the Jazz world is based more on spiritual and political common interests then musical.

Let's just say I'll leave it at that... ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

He's tried this or similar things before, and IMO, it has never worked - the weak link is usually he himself. When he can barely play in a "rock" context, how is he supposed to play in a jazz setting?

Anyone ever listen to Santana's attempt at playing Coltrane on "Love Devotion Surrender". LOL is all I can say. :roll:

I really don't think he ever got much past Am to D. :/
Yeah, it's only one more resolution to get to the dammed I. ;):D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Count me out. Besides the fact that he is not a jazz player, Santana started the "infinite sustain guitar" craze that is waaaaaay overused today. Whenever I hear any guitar player using that style I just want to scream shut the f--- up ALREADY! I abhor that tone because it smothers the sonic spectrum leaving little room for other instruments. It worked with percussion but it will wear out its welcome fast with jazz musicians.

I'd like to ask all these jazz giants what drives them to collaborate so much with Santana.

[video:youtube]

But maybe they're just really cool with anyone playing and having fun and making the audience happy at the same time.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I've always been surprised that Al Di Meola never a project with Carlos or a Santana Tribute. I gues Al might be a little bored but he could cover the hell out of Incident at Neshabur.

Carlos does some cool stuff.

I've always been surprised that Al Di Meola never a project with Carlos or a Santana Tribute.

There were parallels but I enjoyed DiMeola's music more, and he was a good composer. Unfortunately Al can't play the old fast tempo stuff due to repetitive stress issues.

I've always been surprised that Al Di Meola never a project with Carlos or a Santana Tribute.

There were parallels but I enjoyed DiMeola's music more, and he was a good composer. Unfortunately Al can't play the old fast tempo stuff due to repetitive stress issues.

Just goes to show how tastes differ. I have always been bored stiff by DiMeola, even though I grew up a huge fan of Return to Forever.

Well, we don't actually have to speculate what the lineup would sound like. I just found this video from 2012. Notes indicate the lineup is:

Herbie Hancock (piano/keyboards) gather Zakir Hussain (tabla,) Marcus Miller (electric bass,) Cindy Blackman Santana (drums,) Wayne Shorter (saxophone,) Andy Vargas (vocals,) George Whitty (keyboards,) Kalil Wilson (vocals,) & special guest Carlos Santana (guitar)

I couldn't listen to more than 90 seconds. Maybe someone else will have more patience.

[video:youtube]

Just goes to show how tastes differ. I have always been bored stiff by DiMeola, even though I grew up a huge fan of Return to Forever.

For the most part I'm good with Al's catalog through Electric Rendezvous. Then I lost a lot of interest. I like his collaborations with Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

Well, we don't actually have to speculate what the lineup would sound like. I just found this video from 2012. Notes indicate the lineup is:

Herbie Hancock (piano/keyboards) gather Zakir Hussain (tabla,) Marcus Miller (electric bass,) Cindy Blackman Santana (drums,) Wayne Shorter (saxophone,) Andy Vargas (vocals,) George Whitty (keyboards,) Kalil Wilson (vocals,) & special guest Carlos Santana (guitar)

I couldn't listen to more than 90 seconds. Maybe someone else will have more patience.

Bloody awful

Pretty bold stuff from Dave Ferris. O.K. with me though. Keep freedom of speech free.

A big tip to what Dave might be talking about came forward as a Youtube clip of Carlos sitting in with Tower of Power. Many musicians would kill for that opportunity. But Carlos just could not cut the up tempo funk.

He likes to boast that he is from the streets etc. I wonder when the last time he had to fix a flat tire by himself was.

Also - I wonder what his need to hire Wayne and Herbie is all about. What about bringing us some new voices? I respect their legacy, but Wayne must be eighty something these days.

Is anyone excited enough to pay the bucks to hear this lineup?

I saw Wayne Shorter with Patitucci, Blade, and Danilo Perez not too long ago and it was killer. I don't think there's any shame with Shorter.

I jumped on the Carlos bashing above mostly for the humor. But, I'm mixed about his stuff. I love the Santana I, II, III stuff, I love the Live at the Fillmore that predates I, and Supernatural was cool for me too. OTOH, a lot of the stuff he's done just loses me. It might really depend on the band. I'm not sure he truly hangs with this supergroup, but all those cats are cool with it so who am I to say.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, Carlos has gotten political about the stated intent for this project. He says he speaks for all the others, as well.

Shorter, Hancock and Miller have produced a lot of work apart from Santana that deeply touches me. Most of Santana's work (under his own name, or previous "hanging with the jazz guy" projects) hasn't touched me, and the stuff that has seems pretty derivative (e.g., adding B3 to Tito Puente, who was channelling Israel Lopez's Chanchullo).

So this project probably isn't meant for me.

But it's an ambitious name. Mega Nova.

I mean, the only possibly bigger might be "Ultimate, Super, Ultra Mega Nova. Mach II".

Why? Jazz legends need to eat too. Sometimes a gig is a gig.

True dat. Someone once asked me why the Doobie Brothers continue to soldier on playing venues like the Konocti Harbor Inn in Clear Lake and such.

I told them it was because, in the United States, a mortgage is a 30 year loan.

Bloody awful

Truly. They should have been arrested.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived