Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg plugKey for iOS devices

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great, I just wish it had (or they made a version with) a MIDI Out as well. This looks ideal for someone who is using the IOS device as a sound module, but if you also want to integrate sounds from your controlling board (or other hardware) as well, and want to use the IOS device to control everything, it doesn't give you a way for your controlling program (say, Set List Manager or iMididPatchbay) to send Program Changes back out to your board(s). Maybe you could use it in conjunction with one of the wireless (i.e. bluetooth) MIDI adapters for that purpose... though if you go that route, you might not need this device's MIDI In either, though there are times the hard-wired route is what you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is excellent. While I have a variety of software instruments and softsynths in my iPad, using it as a sound module has always been kludgy - due to concurrent audio, MIDI and charging connectivity. This little device simplifies things greatly, and allows the iPad to function securely as a pro sound module.

Getting one of these as soon as they're available. Great job, Korg !

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Great idea! Actually the problem might be when iOS decides that the "made for iPhone" accessory is "not supported". That one always gets me!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Great idea! Actually the problem might be when iOS decides that the "made for iPhone" accessory is "not supported". That one always gets me!

It has been my experience that this indicates a dirty port.

Interesting. But it only happens on the 3rd party ones that have the "made for iPhone" branding - multiple products after changes to iOS. Then I plug in the official Apple cable and it works. And it changes from iOS version to version. This (to me) doesn't indicate a port problem.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Lightening connection? Can someone elaborate a little more, please?

What the latency will be like?

Seems ideal to connect my old iPad to my controller but still got questions...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Lightening is the connector on Apple's mobile hardware right now... It's for power and all sorts of data transfer, audio, video, files, and midi as well.

I don't own this one yet. But I have the alesis io dock that I use with my original iPad 1. MIDI latency is negligible in the sense that I don't feel it while playing if the sound engine app I'm using is good. MIDI in audio back latency depends on how well the synth app you are using runs on iOS and the iPhone or iPad hardware you own. If you have a fairly recent iPad, this can be quite low, certainly low enough to perform with. Not as low perhaps as a Macbook Pro yet, but pretty good. Korg's Module app is one of the most demanding on iOS. So really only useable with newest iPads

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That's a nice sounding Rhodes patch - is it included with the device? It says on their website that "Korg Module Le" is included for free and have a link to iPad version. So I downloaded one for iPhone and it only has one free sound - Grand Piano. E. Pianos are a paid upgrade.

Has happened to me on the included charging device. Same with 3rd party devices. A $20 dollar cleaning of the socket restored all operation. Twice. I live in a dust heavy enviroment. The istore guy likes me. Was lightning.

Looks like a useful bit of kit! With MIDI OUT it would have been perfect, but as Scott notes, that could perhaps be achieved with an mi.1 or the Yamaha version.

Cost predictions? $49.99?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Interesting. But it only happens on the 3rd party ones that have the "made for iPhone" branding - multiple products after changes to iOS. Then I plug in the official Apple cable and it works. And it changes from iOS version to version. This (to me) doesn't indicate a port problem.

Did your socket get loose prior to message?

No it's not the lightning socket. It occurs across devices and cables - it's an iOS change for sure. MIDI interfaces no longer worked as well - the iPhone/iPad just decided they were incompatible after an iOS upgrade. I have owned almost every single iPhone and multiple iPads. But thanks!

• 2 months later...

I think it's priced way too high at $100 for what it is. I'm still planning on buying one for my iPhone 6S (and possibly a newer iPad Air when I buy one). I considered the dock route but it seems the options available now aren't that great with the new iPad Air (2).

That's a nice sounding Rhodes patch - is it included with the device? It says on their website that "Korg Module Le" is included for free and have a link to iPad version. So I downloaded one for iPhone and it only has one free sound - Grand Piano. E. Pianos are a paid upgrade.

It is presumably the full version of Module. Be on the lookout, they often do a sale on their apps and I bought one for $19.99 instead of $39.99.

Got mine, and I'm happy with it. A bit pricey, yes, but if it lets me use my phone as a sound module on gigs rather than schlepping another board, it's worth it. One thing I wish it made clear is that a charging cable is not included. I was looking forward to setting mine up when it arrived, then annoyed that I had to make a trip to get a micro-USB cable first.

Does it have any true competition?

I mean not necessarily a dock, but a similar device that does MIDI as well as the stereo audio I/O?

Yep, and LOTS more. Different form factor, but:

iConnect Audio2+

http://www.iconnectivity.com/images/products/iCA2plus/header_iCA2plus_ship_red.png

And allow you to power the iPad.

Yep. :2thu:

I dont know. Unless you are doing 6 hour gigs, why woukd you need it? The camera connector works just fine. Just make sure you are in "Airplane Mode" and you should have plenty of power.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Does it have any true competition?

I mean not necessarily a dock, but a similar device that does MIDI as well as the stereo audio I/O?

Yep, and LOTS more. Different form factor, but:

iConnect Audio2+

http://www.iconnectivity.com/images/products/iCA2plus/header_iCA2plus_ship_red.png

And allow you to power the iPad.

Yep. :2thu:

This!

And it can handle audio and midi of IOS devices and MAC/PC simultaneously. VERY cool product. But the Korg PK is a different tool in it's own right.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Archived