Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XK-1c versus Hammond SK1-73

Folks,

I switched my XK-1c with a SK1-73 because of the added keys. To my surprise and although the organ sound engines are exactly the same, the factory patches on the XK-1c are much better than on the SK1-73. I am not sure why but looking for some input here. How can I get the SK1-73 to sound like the XK-1c?

Thanks, Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Start with getting Jim Alfredson's tonewheel set that are free for the SK1. They are very good. I think they are on the Hammond website. I hardly use factory patches anyway. I do not have a SK1 but i had access to one for about 3 months and really liked the organ.

Mike,

I have the SK1-73, never had the XK1. I spent a lot of time in the unspeakably horrendous nav menus to tweak the organs--create my ten favorites--which includes 2 really good B3/Leslie presets. I think I used their 147 on one, and the 122 on the other. The other good ones were Wha Clav, ac piano, Rhodes (not good), wurli, CP80, etc. I saved the entire setup on a thumb drive. PM me if interested.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I had the opportunity to play an XK-1c at a local jam last night after playing my VR-09 for a few tunes. Of course the Roland does tons more stuff but the Hammond leaves me with substantial organ envy. Man, what a GREAT instrument!

Mike,

I have both an SK1-61 and an SK1-73 and the factory settings on the 73 do seem to sound different. Never A/B them side by side, but took the 73 out on a gig the other day and it just sounded different. I thought it was just me...

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am going to download Jim Alfredson's custom tone wheels and go from there. On the Hammond site they have several custom set-ups also that could possibly close the gap between the XK-1c and the SK-1. Looking at the all the reviews on the web, Jim did a review on the XK-1c and said out of the box the presets were excellent compared to the SK that required lots of tweaking to get them equivalent.

Regards, Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

Jim did a review on the XK-1c and said out of the box the presets were excellent compared to the SK that required lots of tweaking to get them equivalent.

I wonder if Hammond might consider a download that would load the "new" XK-1C presets into the SK1. Is that something that even another user here could do for another?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm pretty sure the organ engine is the same in both. It's easy enough to create a new base sound and then use that to create your own presets. Jim's settings are more than just the tonewheels, but the c/v, leslie parameters, eq, etc. It takes a few minutes to tweak those settings, but once you have it saved then you can create new patches based off of that one- subbing out different leslies, different overdrive, etc. The editing is a little different but just like any other board, once you get used to it, it's easy to navigate.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've never played the XK-1c but I believe the consensus is that it does sound _slightly_ better than the SK organs, probably because it dedicates all of its processing power to the Hammond side. This is also, I think, the reason that the SK series doesn't have the 'colour' control unique to the XK-1c.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Just to add some additional information because I am an anal retentive ass! But I was looking through all the various parameters that could be tweaked and I noticed many of them were at different settings than the user manual. I am not sure if the settings displayed in the user manual are the default settings or just there as an example but I did a total reset of the board and rechecked the various parameters that were different than the user manual and several changed to what was displayed in the user manual. Played the keyboard and now to my ears it is sounding better than before the reset. I think I am losing my mind.

Archived