Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting mods on Hammond C3

Gary75

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. A LOT of work in that organ!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Looks like it belongs in an ice skating rink. :)

Also looks like they moved the preamp down to the enclosure where the expression pedal is. I did this with my first M3 which I chopped myself, and not so nicely.

Looks like they got rid of all the presets on the upper manual and some on the lower manual, and wtf is going on with the last few notes of the lower manual? And what are all the weird buttons where the music rack is supposed to be?

Looks like it belongs in an ice skating rink. :)

and wtf is going on with the last few notes of the lower manual? And what are all the weird buttons where the music rack is supposed to be?

Looks like a built in Yamaha DX100.

Who the hell would want it? People are always trying to re-engineer Leslie Speakers and Hammond Consoles. You always ruin a residual and the gear most of the time.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Looks like a built in Yamaha DX100.

Customised alterations

Significant size reduction for ease of transportation

Lightweight cabinet

Lightened key action (for faster technique)

Manual to manual height reduction

Leslie footswitch

Reverberation (Valve/spring type)

Lowrey wow- wow

Tone control (treble boost)

Split 122 Leslie Speaker Inc microphone holders

Separate Bass Channel and cabinet

Yamaha DX100 to generate the Bass sounds

18 Note Lowrey Bass Pedal Board

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Lightened key action (for faster technique)

This one struck me as weird. If you can't play as fast as greased lightning on a Hammond, maybe organ isn't for you.

Overall though, I have to say that the workmanship looks top notch. Kind of reminiscent of the Captain and Tenille show though.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I can only think of 1 way to lighten the key action on a Hammond - start with the old style BV manuals which had different key channels and plastic natural keys and change them out to later style B-3.

That would not make it lighter than a B-3, but equivalent.

Moe

---

Moe - you could lighten the action by adjusting the leaf springs. The factory had a special tool that slipped over the backs of the keys during assembly at the factory, but you can use needlenosed pliers also.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/ancient-troubadour/keybed-4.jpg

I can say from experience - DON'T EVER DO THIS!!! DO NOT MESS WITH THE ACTION OF YOUR HAMMOND!!

I ruined an organ doing this once. Just about drove myself mad (seriously) trying to get it "right."

Just leave it the way it is. Trust me.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

That's a serious chop job.

The base is from a Porta-B. I own one of those and recognized it immediately. The organ case was DIY to fit the Porta-B stand, and won't be as wide as a console.

The drawbar panel is a DIY job. The manuals were chopped to fit the non-console case. Five preset reverse color keys at both ends of the manual?

18 note pedal set is either from a Lowrey organ or Moog Taurus II controller. Probably controls the DX100.

Chops don't command the $$$ as a stock console tonewheel and this is one bizarre chop.

Dammit, Moe, you're right. The case has been bothering the hell out of me, I knew it looked familiar, but I just could not place it!

Dx100 for bass sounds. Sure. We all want a thinner bass sound from our Hammond organ.

That's like asking Cindy Crawford to get a boob job.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yeah, with Mitch here. I have adjusted individual keys to match the feel of adjacent keys, but beyond lies madness.

On my M3, I raised the trigger points on all keys by lowering the little tabs that press against the key contact actuators. It was fairly easy to adjust them. The trigger point on the M3 apparently is lower than the B3 and others. Not sure if this would do the same thing as what's being described here.

Doc it's interesting every time I see a chop job, modified cabinet, or some other invention the people never get the money back they put into it and wonder why. The below link is one my friend Tom and I found at Cintioli Music in Philadelphia years ago. It had lights and all kinds of mods but the thing screamed. Some organist owned it:

BCV Buddy Rocco

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I completely agree, folks never get their $ back from wild modifications. No one wants them. People are even leary of things like a B-2/C-2 with Trek percussion added, although I've heard a few of those kick ass. As you indicate, as long as the guts are in good condition/repair, these babies can still scream. A well maintained Hammond console can well outlive its owner.

Yeah and there are some guys would rather B2 then a B-3 but I hear what you are saying. Part of the problem is there are a lot of pseudo techs out there. There are probably 5-7 guys that really know this stuff.

noblevibes.com

Who the hell would want this?

Back in the 1970s when good portable clonewheels did not exist, there were no other options than a chop if you wanted THAT sound. Especially when many gigs involved navigating a flight of stairs.

(Yes I know of things like the Crumar T1B. They were not a good simulation)

Some organist owned it:

BCV Buddy Rocco

Just for the hell of it I looked up the Budster. Apparently he was quite the guy around NYC back in the late '40s. Known as the poet of the organ. And then there's this from 1955

featuring the Buddy Rocco Trio.

Can't hear much of Buddy's chops except for the gliss at the end.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Some organist owned it:

BCV Buddy Rocco

Just for the hell of it I looked up the Budster. Apparently he was quite the guy around NYC back in the late '40s. Known as the poet of the organ. And then there's this from 1955

featuring the Buddy Rocco Trio.

Can't hear much of Buddy's chops except for the gliss at the end.

Wastrel. Thanks for this. When we got the organ from Benny at Cintioli Music I didnt think Tom really wanted it at that time 2008 or so. It came with a White 22R Leslie but he ended up purchasing it when I wasnt there. When I went to his place we cleaned it up with some detox and that was after those pictures were taken. Tom checked the Leslie and it still worked. It has lights under the keys and some other mods to it. In the pictures you can see the switches on the left. The thing was loud as hell. I wanted to buy it from him but it went to a church somewhere down south. Maybe because of the white paint job? I also learned in the northeast here there were a lot of Roller Rink Hammonds with tone cabinets placed all around the rink. Todd, Matestub, Doc ToneWheel, Jim Alfreadson or Wes may have heard about this as well.

I remember we were trying to find out more about Buddy Rocco but couldnt find that much about him on the web but he was popular in the NYC area. It makes sense as the organ ended up in Philly and then to us in NJ.

noblevibes.com

I also learned in the northeast here there were a lot of Roller Rink Hammonds with tone cabinets placed all around the rink. Todd, Matestub, Doc ToneWheel, Jim Alfreadson or Wes may have heard about this as well.

Not just in the northeast. I had to repair a roller rink model DV one time outside of St. Louis that had almost every key smashed with hockey sticks.

Moe

---

Archived