Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my little Leslie just got a little cooler

OB Dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool. I have a JBL D140F 15" that is pretty low profile. Looking at your Leslie, it looks like the lower baffle is stock? So in theory a 15" could have fit in there I suppose, depending on the stack height. Going with the 12" does give extra wiggle room. Where is the lower motor? Ill share a sneak peak at my design which is in sketchup at the moment. Mine is currently is 28" high x 20.5 deep... could easily drop the height down another 2".. will adjust once the other pieces build out. Thank you for the insight.

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

Good to hear. It is coming from a franken leslie w/ a 122 amp that I scored a bit ago and was hoping to just use what I have. Ill be using a 147 in the short. There is much fuss on the Hammond Organ Forum about how short leslies kill bass response, but I am willing to try as the unit is being designed for small stages and quick load in/outs. Seems that with the right speaker bass response can be controlled. I really do not know the physics of how all that works. Any suggestions for a 15" that is suitable specifically for a short leslie, perhaps the 15" version of some of the suggestions above? Thank you.

PS . Love your clone Moe.

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

At one time Pyle made bass drivers specific to "small cabinets". The Eden in my Low Pro provides adequate bass. 130 watt amp driving the speaker. The cabinet specs are 20x17x22. I believe they used Eminence speakers in the last of the production runs for the Low Pro.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MOTLP120

Also, the Low Pro was a separate cabinet from the horn, which was the Pro 3T. The Pro3T sat on top of the Low Pro.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Looking at your Leslie, it looks like the lower baffle is stock?

Well, it looks like it was a stock baffle from sort of of Leslie, but certainly not a common one. I have no idea what it came out of. In the mid 1960s some Lowery and Gulbransen organs had Leslie speakers built into the console, and this rotor might have come out of one of those. It's definitely a 12" rotor - not a 15. There's no way a 15" driver would fit into this cabinet.

Anyway, I popped the back off the cabinet and it was hard to read the back of the magnet. I was able to get my phone up in there and the speaker is a Jensen Special Design but I can't make out the model number without taking the whole enchilada apart.

Thanks all. I greatly appreciate the insight. Ill quit pondering and get busy fabricating. Ill end up using what I have anyhow to start with. Here is a link to the design in its current state.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNVqCfdgAMZ/?taken-by=chavezechavez

It is approx 29high x 20.5 wide... could come down at least 1.5" ... ill keep you posted on how I do, but it might be a while... all my projects tend to be a slow drip depending on how hog tied the family gets me.

Cheers everybody.

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

• 5 months later...

Hello there! So here is where I landed. 25.5" high x 25" wide x 20.5" deep. I build an adaptor that will allow me to run a 15" or a 12" speaker. I have the 15" JBL in there now and fired her up tonight for the first time and it sounds pretty good. Bass response is less than my full sized 147 cab for sure, but I will be trying a few things to try and improve the bass response (sealing cab, sealing treble driver hole, wood baffles vs grill cloth.) For my needs the bass response will be ok. Will be testing with my clone next. Then paint! Good times!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ehqtbojdj3jf6l2/AACfBRENXiP82MIJxauBiLL5a

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

Cool how is the bass response. I love 142/145 Leslie's but I know a lot of organ players don't.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Cool how is the bass response. I love 142/145 Leslie's but I know a lot of organ players don't.

For what I do, which always involves a bass player, I actually prefer 145's. In fact I have an even smaller 120 that has been converted to the equivalent of a smaller 145 with a 12 inch lower speaker, that I love.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Plodding along with this build. I ended up building another cab as the bass response in my first version was not acceptable. It would have been ok for right hand rock, but not for anything with kickin bass. I dropped the lower shelf on v2 and it is a huge improvement. I had to fabricate a lower rotor... yea... deep in the rabbit hole on this one. Ill post pics when done.

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

• 3 months later...

Well, after 6 mo's of tweaking, three protos, and way too many hours of obsessive compulsive thinking about every little detail.... I am pretty much done with my custom Leslie build. I acquired a trashed 122 cab a while back and used the internals on that for this build. I am using a 147 in this as Ill use a combo pedal with my clone. The first proto had horrible bass response so I expanded the middle section on the 2nd and 3rd versions. I had to fabricate the lower drum from scratch to accommodate the larger middle section. This required a modification to the lower drum pulley and shaft. I still need to sort our some vibration issues and will probably succumb to adding handles, but she rips. I have so much respect for the original designers of this gear.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1grfu25ijd0kgq/AABuCoD6-ymAkCZAyDzkVbB_a?dl=0

sugarflyband.com

earthmoonearthband.com

thefreeks.com

Archived