Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Order these five scale degrees

Morizzle

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a question of preference but whadda ya mean by "VIII" ?

Yeah, I know what you mean as an octave above tonic but that's some L field terminology.

It common to refer to intervals by numbers above 8 but I've never seen that used for chords.

d=halfnote

That's a question of preference but whadda ya mean by "VIII" ?

Yeah, I know what you mean as an octave above tonic but that's some L field terminology.

It common to refer to intervals by numbers above 8 but I've never seen that used for chords.

It's advanced music theory :keynana:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

What's your favorite?

I

VI

II

V

VIII

Maybe I skipped this day in Theory Class, but...

These aren't scale degrees. These are chords, and you've listed them all as major chords, so they're literally the same thing, with different roots.

Scale degrees are written like this: ^1 ^2 ^3...

Diatonic Chords (in the Major mode) are written I ii iii IV V vi viiº .

Now, if you're asking which diatonic CHORD I like, then the answer is "none." Try playing an extended solo on one chord. You'll run out of new ideas pretty quickly. Now try playing a solo over a ii-V7-I and you'll find that you have many more harmonic possibilities. So, maybe a better question is: Which chord progression do you like best?

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I suppose OT but check it out

Amazing track/solo ( in my experience ) on essentially ONE CHORD!

On re-listening to it, the solo is a bit short, but recently the fellow I heard, played it much longer, and I am certain Junior Walker did as well in live shows. Ever play a song with one chord before?

[video:youtube] [video:youtube]

Only 1 year ago, it (finally) occurred to me that this solo was only one chord.

I used to tour with a band whose solos involved TWO CHORD jams.

The difference between soloing on one chord versus 2 chords, to me is very significant in terms of ease of coming up with new ideas.

Like a mono food diet of eggs.. versus apples and eggs..

Playing in this 2 chord fusion type band drove ( it is not that easy to play 2 chords for long periods ) this fact home to me, so when I finally looked at Shotgun ( the song and solo I had ignored since its birth ) I was floored by it. A local player here, played it at our our jam, and that is when my eyes opened up.

Back to this original topic

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

You called? :wave:

Why yes, Would you like a sandwich?

Why thank you, IMRT - most generous of you. :) Knuckle sandwiches, butter fingers & ham fists generally form the staple of my musical diet..... :snax:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

You called? :wave:

Why yes, Would you like a sandwich?

Why thank you, IMRT - most generous of you. :) Knuckle sandwiches, butter fingers & ham fists generally form the staple of my musical diet..... :snax:

Did I hear cornerstone?

[video:youtube]

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

:facepalm: Just trolling. I know there's no VIII.

Getting back to practice my b10's now. :laugh:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OV7LvwTmmk

But what language is he sayin?

Ever play a song with one chord before?

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson.

One chord, one riff.

Cheers, Mike.

At the risk of sounding too serious I was mainly talking about soloing on one chord.

George Benson played a great solo on 2 chords with his On Broadway - But one chord is more challenging.

I was just trying to be helpful - but above all, have fun, whether aesthetic fun, or any other kind of fun.

Maybe GB secretly used all kinds of chords, smeared in yet a couple more through (the rather profound) production, but didn't tell you about it. It's a great song, I like it. But he never told people how he did it, you see, so that's 'nother type of ordering. Or did he, but people were too busy skipping his studio classes because they were to busy promoting their own bland song interpretations ?

Them chords can be ordered in a balanced way, I thought. So thinking in C major scale, the E and the A are called mediant, undoubtedly for a reason, so I'd put I, II, and the octave VIII in one group, VI in middle, and V in the last group, because it's the "dominant"...

T.

He played it with 12 chords, but used the transpose button in between so that it only ended up 2.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

"Them chords can be ordered in a balanced way, I thought. So thinking in C major scale, the E and the A are called mediant, undoubtedly for a reason, so I'd put I, II, and the octave VIII in one group, VI in middle, and V in the last group, because it's the "dominant"

Oh.

On re-listening to it, the solo is a bit short, but recently the fellow I heard, played it much longer, and I am certain Junior Walker did as well in live shows. Ever play a song with one chord before?

The difference between soloing on one chord versus 2 chords, to me is very significant in terms of ease of coming up with new ideas.

Playing in this 2 chord fusion type band drove ( it is not that easy to play 2 chords for long periods ) this fact home to me, so when I finally looked at Shotgun ( the song and solo I had ignored since its birth ) I was floored by it. A local player here, played it at our our jam, and that is when my eyes opened up.

It is one chord basically but the organ is run dry, no Leslie. The Grove is in G but the lick after he sings Shotgun is G to A minor

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yeah, these are all just major chords. I don't understand the question. Did you mean intervals?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

It is one chord basically but the organ is run dry, no Leslie. The Grove is in G but the lick after he sings Shotgun is G to A minor

You can call it G Am but It is basically G and occasional and brief C chords. Dig Am and C are practically the same harmony. ii and IV

But you can't say it's like G/// C/// G/// C/// G/// C///

That's a whole other vibe.

In Shotguns case the very brief C ( or you call it Am- I never paid close attention to the bass tones ) chord is there just to emphasize the G chord.

To use G and C or I and IV, the harmonic rhythm ought to be closer to equal aka one whole note of G followed by one whole note of C etc

Archived