Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Sims in a Stomp Box - Review and Compare

2 hours ago, KRK said:

Lex V.2

Here is a test taken on the fly with version 2 of the pedal in question.
(for appropriate comparison of the differences, in the info of the video there are the links for the first version of the pedal itself)

https://youtu.be/s4IOYAHfY0M

As for other similar demos of mine, I wanted to "capture" my stereo amp Roland SA-1000 with a Zoom microphone, to grasp the effect of "ambience amplification".

This allows further comparison with my other video tests of Leslie clones and simulations, with audio captured in the same way.

Soon I will obviously also publish tests with direct audio into mixer (and with true Hammond).

Self-explainig video, in which the indication of what I am doing on the pedal during the various phases appears time after time.

I would say an interesting improvement compared to the first version and, due to the resonance of the virtual cabinet and overdrive, maybe I prefer this one to the Ventilator (but not to the Burn 😊).

Interesting.  The cat seems to be out of the bag on how to better model a Leslie.   I suspect it has to do with tweaking elements of their model and affordable DSP being more capable of delivering in the current generation.  We’d want to hear the Lex v2 side by side with the Ventilator for sure.  

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The sound is the same with the previous model. The new pedal has many hardware improvements(like midi). I have the oldest one, a great piece of hardware!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

3 hours ago, UnderGroundGr said:

The sound is the same with the previous model. The new pedal has many hardware improvements(like midi). I have the oldest one, a great piece of hardware!

well, I had the first version, and I was not so impressed (feel free to see my videos in the above linked playlist).
so maybe I made something wrong at that time... who knows... 🍻

10 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

We’d want to hear the Lex v2 side by side with the Ventilator for sure.  

there is a 12 years old video of mine in the above linked playlist (Lex & Ventilator, with real vintage C3 organ)...
but the Lex definitely did not sound as the new one, maybe some fault of mine...

a recent video with Ventilator and same clone:

rotary simulations shootout

• Love 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:52 PM, KRK said:

Lex V.2

(for appropriate comparison of the differences, in the info of the video there are the links for the first version of the pedal itself)

As for other similar demos of mine, I wanted to "capture" my stereo amp Roland SA-1000 with a Zoom microphone, to grasp the effect of "ambience amplification".

This allows further comparison with my other video tests of Leslie clones and simulations, with audio captured in the same way.

Soon I will obviously also publish tests with direct audio into mixer (and with true Hammond).

Self-explainig video, in which the indication of what I am doing on the pedal during the various phases appears time after time.

I would say an interesting improvement compared to the first version and, due to the resonance of the virtual cabinet and overdrive, maybe I prefer this one to the Ventilator (but not to the Burn 😊).

same pedal with vintage Hammond C3 organ:

https://youtu.be/CTGiM96DKO8

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 3:52 PM, KRK said:

Lex V.2

demo sounds really good , but going through the manual , apparently there's no provision for a brake mode in the remote switch configuration nor through the foot switches 

either . can only be done through some kind of midi interface ?

• Like 1

No no no. All these knobs suck. Just more controls to get moved and ruin you settings.   This is what you want.  No knobs.  You program your settings and forget it. Mount it on a rack shelf and you are done.  Like a real cabinet for the most part. 

B35883A1-EE00-4FAC-839C-8C28D54FAD2C.jpeg

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

7 hours ago, bill bosco said:

demo sounds really good , but going through the manual , apparently there's no provision for a brake mode in the remote switch configuration nor through the foot switches 

either . can only be done through some kind of midi interface ?

In the previous model I have, it brakes when you press the Leslie speed switch(left) and keep it down. When you take your foot off, it will start to rotate in the previous situation(slow or fast)...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

As is so often the case, I think the overdrive is the achilles heel.

To my ears the overdrive is pretty good, I bought it against ventilator because I liked the overdrive better...

1 hour ago, UnderGroundGr said:

To my ears the overdrive is pretty good, I bought it against ventilator because I liked the overdrive better...

Interesting. I didn't listen to the entire video, I may have to go back and hear more of it. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

On the Lex V2, what is the USB-C port for?  Firmware updates?  Midi controller io?  

and the 1/4” Expression/Midi Jack.  How does that function?  

I’ll need to download the manual.  

https://www.strymon.net/product/lex/

None of these better a real Leslie as you all know but still use a Burn and yet to see a need to upgrade right now. Rather impressed with how it can enhance clones in tone but this (and other pedals imagine) sound their best via a real Hammy (C3 here). The drive is usually pleasant. Lot's of functionality plus other fx = great bang4buck.
Tough to find though so perhaps the Vent is best to aim for at this juncture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I gotta think the burn is the same as vb3II or vb3m software leslie. It would be cool to hear a comparison of that.

The Burn had an actual tube, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Burn is not true tube drive. It is powered by 12v dc.  It may be good.  I always thought the sim in VB3 was decent. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't know how much or how little the tube contributes to the sound of the Burn, but if they bothered to put it in, I assume it has some effect that would make it different from what's in VB3, even if the processing code were identical.

20 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I gotta think the burn is the same as vb3II or vb3m software leslie. It would be cool to hear a comparison of that.

I have VB3-ii and the Burn (and the original Vent).  They all sound different.  I've tweaked the VB3-ii internal leslie to the point that I no longer bother hooking up the Burn nor the Vent.  I like the horn sim on the Vent the best but I find the Vent to be the shrillest of the three. The AM on the Vent is over the top, the BURN to me sounds closer to an in-room leslie.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Good luck with the GSI Burn for me but haven't used it live on a gig, just home recording with it with my B3 , I take a line out with Trek II OBL-2 box.  Never owned a Vent but many other simms throught the years for live gigging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRNz78jdBEg track .... '!0 The Inning Stretch'

'Road Song' - My 1st recording with the GSI BURN and  not my 122 using a foot switch to speed switch, I  switched to a rail swith... I'm more used to it on consoles. Gigging I use a foot switch with clones though....   

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

STOP/BRAKE position in Lex V2:

as in the V1, you have to keep pushed the left switch.

BURN:

internal tube obviously does not work in the "correct" way (the 12Volt power is not the best for make it work).

BUT, changing tube type MAKE change in the sound.
some example here  

(maybe HX3 + BURN is the "perfect" clone? --> example - as you can easily hear, no need for tall&fat or other external helps -)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am responding to a request from a contact who asked for a different video from the one already published with the same pedal and my C3 (that one was recorded live on a mixer desk). a Hammond with a very clear sound (by Silvio Della Mattia ), the pedal, a "basic" system with two suspended speakers and nothing else. all deliberately recorded with an ambient microphone.

the hammond signal (as already experienced with my C3) is quite impetuous, therefore I had to use the SOFT TAB of the instrument volume in the first part of the video.

the internal drive of the Lex was at less than half excursion, and reacts in a philological manner (the more signal you "throw" at it, the more it produces saturation - saturation which is generally correct on all frequencies, a behavior that other leslie simulators do not offer - ).

in the second part of the video the organ volume TAB is on NORMAL... the pedal doesn't flinch, and reacts in a "suitable" way (some Derek Sherinian sound ).

with the GSi Burn discontinued, this pedal appears to be the only effective alternative (the Ventilator, for a variety of reasons, does not offer such "correct" behavior).

• Thanks 1