Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good affordable studio monitors?

kwyn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What price point qualifies as "affordable" to you? I have ADAM A7Xs , which are probably toward the higher end of what you'd find at your local music store, but are affordable compared to actual high-end models from Genelec, Barefoot, Focal, and others.

I have heard really good things about Equator Audio . They sell direct, so they're able to keep their prices low by cutting out the middle man.

If it can be reasonably argued that the most important thing in a studio enviroment is your ears, it can also be reasonably argued that the next most important thing are your speakers.

It makes very little sense to have a good instrument if the thing that Actually Reproduces the Sound is not the best it can be.

Do NOT skimp on monitors. They are the thing you use to evaluate just about every non-acoustic sound you make. Good monitors will make you appreciate every piece of gear you have. Bad ones mean you're not really hearing any of the gear you have.

dB

Speaker pimp

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I use (and am listening right now) to a pair of Equator D5s (their smallest little units). I think they're great value, well built, and sound great relative to other 5.25" woofer monitors. MR is clear and un-hyped, and there's a satisfactory level of LF for the speaker size.

If you're going to roar the DMC 122, perhaps the D8 ($750 a pair) may be to your liking.

The Yamaha HS series is not too bad price wise vs. performance/sound quality. I always like the old time NS10s for near field & the HS series maybe the closest to those (w/o the always possible voice coil frying potential of the NS10s).

I have the HS8s with the sub & like them.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

For the best bang to buck ratio, I recommend Emotiva Airmotiv 6s monitors, at $399 per pair. They use AMT tweeters, like the ADAM monitors, but they're sold direct from Emotiva, so there's no middleman distributor markup. I have the previous version (Airmotiv 6) and they're fantastic.

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-6s

AIRMOTIV6S_front.png

I like my KRK Rokit 8's.

I'd be curious to hear what others think about them, compared to more expensive speakers like ADAMs.

It sounds like the OP is looking for monitors to enjoy, rather than reference monitors that will accurately present your mix for demanding mixing and mastering work.

People seem to think the Rokits "hype" the bass. yeah. I like that bass.

It sounds like the OP is looking for monitors to enjoy, rather than reference monitors that will accurately present your mix for demanding mixing and mastering work.

"Enjoy" means different things to different people. :idea:

A good pair of reference monitors should not just clinically work for the left side of your brain - they should knock your head off your shoulders with how amazing they sound. You should be able to hear detail and depth in your music and instruments that you've never heard before. You should be able to really hear what your instrument sounds like.

I would be very surprised if you put a really nice pair of studio monitors next to your Rokits and you still wanted to keep the Rokits. ;)

If, by "enjoy", you mean rock the room and feel the music - I'd recommend a small pair of powered PA speakers. I actualy keep a small pair of Yamaha two way 12" floor monitors in my studio for when I wanna really have fun. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I use (and am listening right now) to a pair of Equator D5s (their smallest little units). I think they're great value, well built, and sound great relative to other 5.25" woofer monitors. MR is clear and un-hyped, and there's a satisfactory level of LF for the speaker size.

Unfortunately, they took them off te market earlier this year in anticipation of the Mk2. Those still haven't arrived. :(

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Another vote for the D5s. I originally bought these to replace my crappy Dell speakers (hummmmm....) for You Tube and other computer related listening activities. They are always powered on even when I shut down the rest of my equipment each day and they have been very reliable for 3 1/2 + years. They also work well as a secondary set of monitors and IMO, are well balanced and not hyped. I would not however recommend them for any serious kind of bass frequency evaluation.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/2c85729a-10ec-4ac8-ba95-f97033b48546_zpszis9sfir.jpg

Or get a pair plus a carry bag and isolation pads for $399 US direct,

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5-Studio-Monitors-with-DSP-Pair-p/d5.htm

I didn´t post because of the price but the availability of the mkII model !

Is your $399 US direct link for D5mkII ?

A.C.

Nope, it's the previous model at a great price with the pair, bag and isolation pads! :)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It says:

Accepting Pre-Orders - ETA: Dec. 28th

:confused:

I communicated with Equator earlier this year when I found out the D5/8 were out of stock. They said:

Hi Menno,

D5's and D8's have been discontinued. We are working on a new and improved

Version 2 that we hope to have available by mid May.

I reached out to them again a few months later and then they said:

Unfortunately it is taking longer than we anticipated....looking like late

August.

And now the old model is available for pre-order? :confused:

Guess I'm gonna shoot them another email...

BTW, the price is not including accessories, AFAICT

OK, so I asked Equator:

I looked on your site and see the D5's are available again?

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5-Studio-Monitors-with-DSP-Pair-p/d5.htm

Is that clearance of the old stock? I'm confused, as it also says

"Accepting Pre-Orders - ETA: Dec. 28th" ?!?

And they replied:

This is for the newly designed D5.

The new D5 will essentially be an improved D5. They will remain a coaxial

design with DSP to match the left and right output. They'll still have the

same mid-range clarity they've become famous for and they'll maintain

professionally voiced frequency response curves.

We've redesigned their port tube assemblies to improve low-end performance

and have made minor mechanical and production changes to improve their

overall performance and serviceability. And we're keeping the pricing the

same.

They will have a smoother finish to the cabinet as well.

I use a pair of JBL LSR308's, the best set of monitors I've ever owned. I have owned The Rokit 5 with sub and a pair of Alesis 5 inch system paired with the KrK sub. Neither of them had the clarity and detail of the JBL's. I'm sure there are better monitors out there but nowhere near the price point.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

The BEST?? Who the heck knows but start at $5,000 a pair and go from there. This is what I use:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/home-speakers/model-14.htm

I have a pair of Rogers Sound Lab (RSL) 6" bookshelf speakers in my home studio room that I picked up for $75 and then I'll route the mix to the living room with the Altec's. The Model 14 was the last new design before they went under. These are the home version of their studio monitors and had an MSRP of $2,800 each in 1984. I found them used literally by accident for $500 about 6 years ago and I'm sure it's because of their size. Even though they're 12's, they're still pretty big compared to newer systems but that's ok, these things are awesome.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

It's not a bad idea to consider a 3-way system in the comparison. Think about it also that a analog active system may well work better (i.e. no digital crossover filters, and no digital amps).

As a high end remark:

http://www.quested.com/studio-monitoring/images/v3110-landscape.gif

Too expensive by far, but it's good to have references. I know my own system is very valuable to me, because I'd be searching for a lot of wrong parameters when making sounds without it.

T.

ADAM A7s really do a digital piano justice. I have the original (smaller) units, and they really kill on my Kurz. Even take them out on cocktail gigs. Lesser brands just don't sound like a piano. I think it's the mids that makes the difference. Also they speak quickly, with crisp transients and smooth highs. Sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Being in the market myself, I thought I would consolidate all of the choices here for 6-8" woofered Monitors by price per pair.

This is a tough decision because as we know the only way to test speakers is to actually play the speakers with material we are familiar with in an A/B scenario. And two of these are direct order only. NAMM 2016 is coming up, but NAMM is usually noisy and speakers can't be A/B'd. Maybe I will get lucky at a local guitar center and be able to eliminate some options.

Emotiva Airmotiv 6s $399

Manufacturers Website - Direct Order Not in Stock

Stereophile 4s Review

JBL LSR308 $500

Sweetwater

SOS Review

Yamaha HS8 $700

Sweetwater

SOS HS8 Review

Equator D8 $749

Manufactures Website - Direct Order Not in Stock

SOS Review

Adam Audio A7X $1,500

Guitar Center

SOS Review

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

I've got my eye on The Rock by Unity Audio, some Focal Twin6 Be's, the new Neumann three-ways, or some ADAMs. These are at the higher end for sure, but I'm more than a year out.

Whatever I do, it probably won't be a ported cabinet...

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

The Rock by Unity Audio is the only one from your list that is a sealed cabinet. All the others are ported cabinet.

Hmm... The KH310's from Neumann appear to be (though I know the ADAMs are not). I took a second look at the Twin6 Be's, and you're correct. They are ported.

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Guitar Center (Cerritos, CA) had a very good setup to compare monitors. I was able to compare the Yamaha HS8 vs the JBL LSR308 vs the Adam A7X. Results:

I would scratch the Yamaha's immediately they sounded flat.

The JBL's however provided surprisingly good stereo imaging. The speakers literally disappeared. I had to verify that the sound was actually coming from the speakers. The Adam A7X, were placed one row higher and very close together, so I am not sure that they were represented correctly. The JBL's were definetly brighter or sharper on the high end. It could be said that the Adam's were smoother....

However, within the scope of this one test. I would say the JBL's really shined, and considering they were one third the price of the Adams, they really shined.

On a separate topic, I might build out some of these instead, total cost with amps around $1,200

Linkwitz Labs LXmini

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Archived