Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

He's making a list.....

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use a Zoom H1 with its built-in mics. Also accepts stereo line-in but probably too basic if you want to capture multiple feeds from a mixer.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I've used the Zoom H2 and own one of the Tascam DRs and like both. I just set them up and let the internal mics do their job.

I'd go for a Zoom R16 if you can feed it with audio. It'll do 8 SIMULTANEOUS mono recordings and has proper XLR ins for each channel. I'd have bought one but we have an iPAD 2 and I got an Alesis ioMix which has 4 simultaneous channels with proper XLR ins for each.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Ah, bloody hell. There's plenty on my list, but there'll be nothing again. Whatev.

If it there could be.... maybe a Kronos 61 and/or a PX-5S or 560 (although I am hoping for a 5S update at winter NAMM).

There was a Kronos 61 on the garage sale that dipped to $2150 shipped, it sold of course. I think hookie got it. Wish him many hours of enjoyment.

Then I wonder how cool it would be if GSi did a single manual Mojo and/or DMC-122 that could sport a Gemini port. One can dream.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I use a Zoom H1

I've used the Zoom H2

both excellent choices, with the H2 having a better build quality but no discernable difference in the audio. I use both extensively at the radio station where I work with good results.

:nopity:

I have the Zoom H6 and I like it a lot. Records up to six tracks simultaneously. This has two interchangeable mic heads (one X-Y, and one M-S) and four mic-line inputs. Switchable phantom power and 20 dB pads on the four mic-line inputs. I also have the accessory that adds two more mic-line channels in place of the mic head. The accessory inputs also have 20 dB pads but no phantom power option.

It has a mixer function but I couldn't tell you much about it. I always just drag the tracks into Logic and mix them there.

Overall I'm very happy with it, but it eats batteries if you're phantom powering a bunch of mics. I've been running it off a USB power supply. I was worried that switching noise would leak into the audio but I haven't noticed any issue with that at all.

So what's on your Christmas list (music gear wise)?

as for me, nothing. I'm told I have too much gear already. :facepalm:

Problem is, that's correct. :D

If I could have one more piece of equipment (that I couldn't afford) from Santa I would want a Mojo. :drool:

:nopity:

The only thing major I've been eyeballing is a 5-star bass, but I doubt I'll get it.

More likely....I've been trying to streamline being able to adapt my rig for various bands and instrument combinations. I haven't completely worked it all out, but it may come down to some duplicate pedals and cables (maybe harnesses) and possibly duplicate wireless systems each stores in their own cable bags. Also, I want to get a hipshot drop-D tuner on my guitar, got to some heavier strings, fix up some of the hardware (like a broken PU selector switch) and get a new setup. All small boring things, but at the end of the day, could end out shelling out several hundred bucks altogether.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I am planning to buy a zoom H2. I think it will serve my purpose well.

Same here.

Zoom H2 is a great device. When my daughter was auditioning for college 6 years ago, we made her pre-screening recording with one, then concerts, recitals, etc. She once had a very important lesson and used it to record the whole thing then transcribe notes later. It's money well spent.

I have the Zoom H6 and I like it a lot. Records up to six tracks simultaneously. This has two interchangeable mic heads (one X-Y, and one M-S) and four mic-line inputs. Switchable phantom power and 20 dB pads on the four mic-line inputs. I also have the accessory that adds two more mic-line channels in place of the mic head. The accessory inputs also have 20 dB pads but no phantom power option.

It has a mixer function but I couldn't tell you much about it. I always just drag the tracks into Logic and mix them there.

Overall I'm very happy with it, but it eats batteries if you're phantom powering a bunch of mics. I've been running it off a USB power supply. I was worried that switching noise would leak into the audio but I haven't noticed any issue with that at all.

I also have the H6. Added the Shotgun mic to the X-Y & M-S - Awesome performance. Highly recommended.

Rick Stirling

=============

Korg Kronos 2, Korg PA600, MZ-X500, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar

I use a Zoom H1

I've used the Zoom H2

both excellent choices, with the H2 having a better build quality but no discernable difference in the audio. I use both extensively at the radio station where I work with good results.

I read somewhere that the H2n has the same mics as the H4?

Also saw some youtube clip where they recorded a live band with the H1 and H2. The H2 sounded better. Also the H2 has M-S position and additional mics IIRC

Seriously considering getting the H2

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The H4n sounds significantly better than the H2 (plus of course it has the option to use other mics). But if your need is simply to capture live performances, band rehearsal, solo practice, interviews, lectures, etc. any of them do a great job - although perhaps less convenient than using your iPhone. Particularly when doing stereo field recordings, the Zooms are an improvement over phones as well. But don't forget that you can get the Zoom iQ6 with lightening for $99 which gives you the Mics off the H4n to connect to your phone. Which is a pretty convenient option. Although, if Apple goes and changes their connector again...

[video:youtube]

They also have an iQ7 which excels at mid-side recording. And the Zoom Handy Recorder App app is a free download if you want to try it out before investing in the mics.

There is nothing I need in terms of instruments.

My wife renews my Keyboard mag subscription at X-mas.

Sledge and the Waldorf String machine module looks fun.

I need a new bench and I could use a new toolbox.

If I do buy an instruments it seems like I usually pull the

trigger around March.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

After winter NAMM... But possibly before some of the new shtuff is shipping, or maybe right on time. Before Jan 1 would squeeze it into the US fiscal year. But I think some stuff you can still count as previous year before April when taxes are due... but that might just be retirement deposits. But then again, March might be enough recovery time from December holiday gifts for the kids and the Mrs. Maybe the only good time to pull the trigger is when you actually have the cash. Haha

Ivory II Grand Pianos

I have the uprights, and coupled with my MP11 action, I don't think I'll be seen again after...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

They make good stuff. If the feature set of the iConnectMIDI1 meets your needs, perfect. Alternatively, if you want to get it all done in one shot, the MIDI2+ supports 2 devices simultaneously (even a Mac or PC and your iPhone) plus (hence the +) it does Audio Pass Thru so you can say... run Logic on your Mac but have an iOS synth you like. So you can send it MIDI and record the audio back to the Mac over the USB cable, no need to use an audio cable from the headphone out of your iPhone and run it to another audio interface wired to your Mac. Might be overkill.

I've thought about asking Ms. Glow for a Yamaha Reface, either the YC or CP, or maybe one of those new Roland thingies. Not sure. My fear is that I would have fun with something like that for a few days and then not touch it again.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Getting or giving? :cool:

What I'd like to *get,* which I really need, is not only expensive, but far too esoteric for the people I know to understand beyond the surface gloss seen by an outsider. Not their fault, either. We've all started waxing enthusiastic about gear and watched peoples' eyes glaze over. Its kinda like that. :D

I'm going to *give* numerous CDs of a music box show I helped set up years ago. Its all public domain classics or semi-tuned bird call bits, but amazingly crisp and unusual. We recorded it into a high-end TASCAM 7" reel-to-reel and then ran that in the exhibition hall while the real things were behind thick plexi to keep der publik grabbenmitten offen. Its arresting to hear the William Tell Overture performed by a music box the size of a mini-fridge, complete with a separate small bell section. Its way past time I shared that more broadly.

Sometimes its not the price, but the impact. It all depends on the joy of the beholder.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

I am planning to buy a zoom H2. I think it will serve my purpose well.

Same here.

We don't do christmas here....

Huh? You mean in the Netherlands?! :D

Yes. We have something called "Sinterklaas" (you know the party that gathered world fame because of "black piet").

However more people are starting to celebrate Christmas. Do they celebrate Christmas with gifts in Italy Marino?

Rudy

Archived