Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo amps and powered speakers -do players here prefer it?

Longtcopp

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, can you point me to an earlier thread about the playing stereo vs. mono from the search function up top?

If you'd taken a moment to read the Read Me: Searching For Info On This Forum you'd have used Google instead, as follows:

Stereo vs mono threads here at KC.

Sorry to use LMGTFY, but you seem like you can handle a little tongue in cheek... ;)

There are very few hand grenades that can be lobbed into this forum.

X stands

stereo vs mono

Roland keyboard amps

rompler organ sounds

It's just a big shake of the head when somebody with their very first post lobs one in.

Nothing personal, longtcopp. Hope you stick around.

Moe

---

Thanks, Muzikteecchur. I may be new to this board, but I've been working all over professionally as a musician for a long time. There's a good chance that my path has crossed with many others here an my experience is that the highly respected professionals that you say inhabit this board are not the ones who make stupid comments like Delaware Dave's. No offense meant to the involved & kind, of course. That said, I truly appreciate your input. Would you say the KP-200s does as good a job with pianos as it does with organs - is that how you use the stereo inputs on the Neo Vent? Thanks again. CC

Thanks. I can handle tongue in cheek. Just kinda appalled by the straight out rudeness by some of the others. In the circles that I play in, you don't see that. It's much more of a brotherhood/sisterhood -even for the best of us. but I guess threads can sometimes make people careless. That said, I always think LMGTFY is funny. And that said, I did read the search instructions post. If you go down past the first couple of results, you'll see a lot of people complaining about how poorly tuned the function is, giving them kinda crappy results. Thanks for writing back. Glad to stick around. Still not sure about stereo. Maybe I'll look into quadraphonic.

I perform with a pair of EV ZLX12P's. Two of them costs far less (about $300 each) than the cost of one SS3 (around $750). It has plenty of bottom end, does not need a sub, and will blow any Marshall or HiWatt off the stage with clear, even bandwidth all the way up to ear shattering levels. Most of the time I only use one. But I add the second when I do want to hear a stereo soundscape.

Most important, they reproduce the Hammond/Leslie sound with amazing accuracy (including the pedal sounds).

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks. I can handle tongue in cheek. Just kinda appalled by the straight out rudeness by some of the others. In the circles that I play in, you don't see that. It's much more of a brotherhood/sisterhood -even for the best of us. but I guess threads can sometimes make people careless. That said, I always think LMGTFY is funny. And that said, I did read the search instructions post. If you go down past the first couple of results, you'll see a lot of people complaining about how poorly tuned the function is, giving them kinda crappy results. Thanks for writing back. Glad to stick around. Still not sure about stereo. Maybe I'll look into quadraphonic.

Don't discount quadraphonic... It worked for Pink Floyd in the 60's.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Mono is easier. I mostly run stereo now.

Either stereo or mono I want to monitor on stage the same bus/mix I am sending to the PA. I use either 1) a pair of EV ZX1As in either stereo or dual mono or 2) a set of Shure ear buds with a mix of my keyboard send and my monitor send that I control from a mixer I have on stage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Don't discount quadraphonic... It worked for Pink Floyd in the 60's.

...and the 80's (Momentary Lapse of Reason tour was in Quad... :2thu:)

I'm hardly a 'noob' here and still found the level of hostility to the OP unacceptable. Such behaviour borders on bullying, IMO. The way some of you react, you'd think we were being asked these questions every hour, rather than once in a fairly blue moon. If you don't feel like answering the question, move on.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Thanks. I can handle tongue in cheek. Just kinda appalled by the straight out rudeness by some of the others.

You don't know it, but the irony that you and I are involved in a discussion about the rudeness of others is probably causing some long-time members of this board to spit coffee through their noses. :):cool:

I'm hardly a 'noob' here and still found the level of hostility to the OP unacceptable. Such behaviour borders on bullying, IMO. The way some of you react, you'd think we were being asked these questions every hour, rather than once in a fairly blue moon. If you don't feel like answering the question, move on.

And, just as appropriately, if you feel so upset that the question isn't being answered, perhaps you should just answer the question. :2thu:

OK I will. OP: good quality powered PA speaker every time. Run one in mono. Unless you have a piano which sounds shite in mono, in which case, as FB would say, 'it's complicated'...

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

I perform with a pair of EV ZLX12P's. Two of them costs far less (about $300 each) than the cost of one SS3 (around $750). It has plenty of bottom end, does not need a sub, and will blow any Marshall or HiWatt off the stage with clear, even bandwidth all the way up to ear shattering levels. Most of the time I only use one. But I add the second when I do want to hear a stereo soundscape.

Most important, they reproduce the Hammond/Leslie sound with amazing accuracy (including the pedal sounds).

Wow, musiciansfriend.com has the EV ZLX12P for $399.

That's like a sore dick - you can't beat it!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

+100

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Good speakers for sure with great low end, but I did not like them at all for AP's. Since 99% of what I do is AP (now, anyway), I replaced mine with DBR-10's. But if you don't do much AP and more synths, strings or organs, these are definitely a good, full sounding, loud (and cheap) option. And every once in awhile Musician's Friend (or maybe it was SweetWater?) has them by the pair for even cheaper than that.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

You don't know it, but the irony that you and I are involved in a discussion about the rudeness of others is probably causing some long-time members of this board to spit coffee through their noses. :):cool:

Earl Grey tea, myself. :laugh:

methinks the OP does know it, Mr. Ambasador Of Goodwill ;)

:nopity:

Actually you can. They usually go for $325 at some retailers. Buy two and you can get them for $300. Try Pro Audio Star. Give them an offer. They will usually take it.

Probably the Space Station amp makes a big difference on and off stage but for stage monitoring in a loud rock band, with 2 guitars blaring, I have tried both stereo and mono set ups and could hardly tell the difference. I prefer my mono 7 lb Behringer mini monitor positioned right next to my ear so I can actually hear myself! Maybe I can get another one for the other side and make them into a headset...

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Actually you can. They usually go for $325 at some retailers. Buy two and you can get them for $300. Try Pro Audio Star. Give them an offer. They will usually take it.

Thanks for the tip, David. I've never bought from them before. I've always loved EV but they were always so expensive in the past.

Now I have to decide whether two of those would be better than a SpaceStation. Or maybe I'll just buy both and sell my JBL 510s.

I usually play more synth stuff, and run mono. A few of the sets/acts I play with I use extensive AP, and my MotifXF APs sound distinctly inferior in mono do to cancellation. So I run stereo to FOH, but of course I can't tell if they are really running stereo and if so does anyone even know or notice, maybe they are overdubbing me with Chipmunks in FOH for all I know, as they invariably and always give me a single (e.g. mono) monitor on stage.

I really need a better sound system, have for a long time, I wonder what this forum of kindly elders might suggest for me :)

which SS3 model comes with wheels? :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

To the OP:

I started out using two unpowered cabinets with a large stereo power amp. It was pretty good sounding, but I got tired of schlepping all that around.

I then went to two powered PA cabinets for stereo monitoring, and send mono to FOH (Yamaha DXR8 cabs, Ashly 308 mixer).

I'm now using a CPS Spacestation amp on top of a GK MB112 bass combo amp. This solution is far superior to my previous solution for several reasons:

1) AP, EP, B3 and synths all sound warmer, richer.

2) AP in particular sounds far warmer and closer to playing the real thing.

3) Plenty of low end for synth bass, convincing B3, etc. (the SS alone doesn't)

4) Very small stage footprint (as the amps are stacked vertically

5) "Width" of sound is wider and more natural than "two PA speaker" stereo

6) Easy schlep factor.

7) Way fast set up

8) The GK amp provides a mono DI out, which I use to FOH

Hope that helps some, and welcome to the forum.

Tim

Thanks to all of you for these responses. A lot of good info here and you've given me a lot to think about. I think for the kind of music I'm going to be doing with this band, I can get away with mono for a lot of things. However, I wish I could check out a SS3 before I bought it because I'm pretty curious about it, with or without a sub. Same is true for a motion sound amp. Haven't heard too much about that last one in this thread. I hear they are great for Hammond sims but less so for piano? It sounds like there are enough good choices for powered speakers, however, so maybe I can test some of those out a a local place or when I'm on the road.

Hi there. I tried to search for this but I didn't come up with any specific threads.

Just got my first stage piano in a while and I'm currently looking for the best way to amplify it for gigs with a roots/Americana band (pianos & organs, mostly),playing small to medium rooms, ocassionally a large house. Anyway, it seems like a lot of the sounds make use of stereo effects. When I was last playing, we plugged into a band PA or a mono amp and that was it. It seems nowadays more people are playing into stereo amps or a pair of stereo speakeys for FOH sound. Is this true? If so, or not, do you have any recommendations for an amp or speaker(s) that could do a good job with bother piano and organ? Sorry that this is probably a perennial question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

My apologies for some of the more snarky responses here. It's a legit question.

I play rock/americana/roots in a great band, APs, DPs and plenty of organ in small to medium venues. My keyboards are definitely out front -- not a backing role.

I have been on a multi-year quest for "the sound" -- for me, for the band and for the audience.

If you asked me a year ago, I would have steered you to a pair of self-powered PA units. QSC, Yamaha, EV -- lots of good choices to be debated. I have a small fleet of different self-powered PA units I've picked up along the way, including a few ridiculously expensive ones.

They were the best answer at the time, IMHO.

No more. I'm doing the SSv3 thing now for most (but not all!) of my gigs. It takes a while to appreciate what it does, but -- once you do -- you're not going back.

No, you can't listen to one ahead of time, unless you find someone who owns one and is willing to host you. That's the deal, unfortunately. But once you get your head wrapped around what it does for stereo keyboards, you're gonna love it.

At least, I did. And I'm not alone.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thanks for the tip, David. I've never bought from them before. I've always loved EV but they were always so expensive in the past.

Now I have to decide whether two of those would be better than a SpaceStation. Or maybe I'll just buy both and sell my JBL 510s.

EV went through a huge change a few years ago when they started to build their speakers in China. I used to own a pair of SXA360's (made in USA) that I loved, but stupidly sold them. The problem with those speakers that their high end components and their built in the USA pedigree forced EV to sell them for around $1000 each! That was a problem as they were competing against QSC and other more budget options. So EV stopped the US production of their lower end products and are now almost exclusively made in China. That being said, I am VERY impressed that they don't sound like cheap speakers. In fact, they blow QSC out of the water! Many here agree.

Now for the SS3... Many musicians on the board swear by them. I suggest that you buy one, try it out, and return it if you don't like it. Personally, I am very happy with what I gig with (you never know when the guitar player will get crazy and start cranking up his volume). It all depends on the kinds of gigs you are playing. I need a big bottom end for my organ (please, no jokes). The bigger the better. When I auditioned the SS3 at NAMM I did not "feel" that bass. It's very difficult for one 8" speaker to produce that air. So I would need a sub with it. The speaker is heavy already (compared to the EV's) and schlepping a sub with it would be a hassle (and much more $$$). This is why I have not yearned to buy a SS3.

Archived