Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is 61 keys enough for gigging?

chrismoog

Short answer. Yes. I know this because I did it . If your going to run them in one channel though, you will have issues finding a happy medium with the e-qing between organ and piano. If you have two outputs on your board set up your patches panned hard left on one and hard right on the other and give them their own channel with e-q parameters.

As far as playing as a part of a band, you won't have any issues with the organ. The piano either really because with a bass man your going to be staying out of the basement. Only friction I see is getting used to the feel. You'll cover that with some laps around the track though. ;)

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all your responses - really helpful and I realise as our band has an excellent bassist I can avoid lower keys. On top of which i will avoid AP as this usually involves more intricate LH. So 61 keys should be fine for blues rock. When I join a jazz combo I might have to buy a second 88 keys board (darn, just got rid of my Yamaha p85).

I agree. A 61-key is fine for gigging. Same goes for 73-note and 76-note KBs too.

But, there are reasonably priced, light-weight 88-key KBs that make fewer keys an unnecessary compromise. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I will still be playing standard blues and jazz organ and piano but am considering 61 keys for budget an convenience.

What is the budget? i.e. Which 61 are you considering for piano and organ?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For a long time I played with an 88 weighted action on the bottom, and a Hammond with 61 keys on top. The lower octave on the 88 primarily could not be used because of clashes with the bass guitar, but I would use the upper octave in solos.

Now that I have the SK2, my plan is to have just 61 keys for all of it. I'll use the Hammond sound from the top=, and all else from the bottom, using both manuals for Hammond when needed.

Octave shift is very easy if I need the upper octave for solos.

If I determine I need the 88, I'll just bring out the Yamaha

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

For me 61 keys is doable in a band situation for AP/ EP but certainly not preferable.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Archived