Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Piano; Mellow upright

sakari lindhen

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never used any of the Nord uprights when I owned the the NP88/2 but this is definitely a nice warm, mellow sound that I could see being effective in certain situations. Curious as to how it would sound through gigging speakers/monitors. Unless they were highly detailed, I could see it sounding too boxy and too mellow to use live.

In any case, kudos for continuing to release new stuff. Still a huge fan here and certainly do miss my NP2. I hope you are still digging it Michelle.. :)

And will defintley be "pouncing" again if they can somehow incorporate the Fatar Wood action in a new NP3 release....hoping...hoping... ;)

Very nice...wonder what I'm going to cache out in the old Nord shuffle.

Yup. My NE3HP could use more storage.

I wonder how much Nord will include on the NE5HP? :cool:

Here is what is installed today:

Pianos

Grand Imperial Bösendorfer Large 89.3 MB

Grand Upright YAU3 Small 42.8 MB

Sparkletop Vintage 1967 12.2 MB

Wurlitzer 2 Amped XL 24.0 MB

Clavinet D6 5.7 MB

USED: 173.9 MB

FREE: 11.5 MB

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Great stuff! Something warm and mellow, just in time for the cold winter. Fingers crossed there will be some more Swedish sample goodness released for Christmas too. ;)

NS3 to be launched at NAMM 2015?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Demo sounds are nice. I always get real excited when one of these comes out, and download it into my E3 61. I even try triggering them w/a weighted keyboard, but for some reason in my rig the Nord pianos always underwhelm me. I probably need to hire a better player....

I have a light touch. So I always experiment with the Dynamics control on my NE3HP. It makes a lot of difference for me.

I've found that some sounds need a little more, some a little less. It's really nice that Nord has made this option handy on the front panel without lots of menu-diving. It's either OFF or you can select three different velocity curves on the fly. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Demo sounds are nice. I always get real excited when one of these comes out, and download it into my E3 61. I even try triggering them w/a weighted keyboard, but for some reason in my rig the Nord pianos always underwhelm me. I probably need to hire a better player....

What monitors are you using? Stereo or mono? That's where the difference lies...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I listen in stereo at home, either thru a pair of ADAM nearfields or Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, so I don't think its my monitoring. My main problem with the Nord pianos is all of them that I've tried sound rather thin on top, and there's something funny about the decay, especially in the middle register to me that just doesn't sound like a piano. As I said, I trigger the sounds via a weighted keyboard, so it's not an issue with the E3's unweighted action. As I've said, any time I hear a demo of the sounds online I think they sound GREAT, I just can't seem to connect with them while playing them myself.....

I listen in stereo at home, either thru a pair of ADAM nearfields or Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, so I don't think its my monitoring. My main problem with the Nord pianos is all of them that I've tried sound rather thin on top, and there's something funny about the decay, especially in the middle register to me that just doesn't sound like a piano. As I said, I trigger the sounds via a weighted keyboard, so it's not an issue with the E3's unweighted action. As I've said, any time I hear a demo of the sounds online I think they sound GREAT, I just can't seem to connect with them while playing them myself.....
+1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I downloaded it this morning. Really beautiful tone, particularly in the soloing region of the keyboard. Even though the overtone structure is subtle, the overall sound is still very rich. I can see this being very useful for cocktail piano or a small jazz combo.

Unfortunately, the paltry memory in my E3HP prevents me from keeping it loaded.

Archived