Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band broke up

Six-string-man

Well, our band broke up last night. Things have been a bit rocky for a while, as our lead guitarist plays with another (newer) band, and has been accepting more and more gigs with them, to our detriment.

Things came to a head, and our lead singer/band leader has refused to step on the same stage as the lead guitarist again. It's difficult to just get a replacement guitarist, because the type of music we do is a bit out of left field (Paul Rodgers Tribute).

The problem is, we have a dozen gigs between now and the end of the year which will have to be cancelled. I tried to talk them into honouring these gigs, but the band leader is adamant. I feel it's very unprofessional.

I feel really sorry for our drummer, who has invested a couple of thousand into a new mixing desk, but it's even worse for our bass player, who is unemployed. The band is his only source of income.

Oh well, six good years have come to an end.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that SSM, that sucks. Do you have other work/bands elsewhere?

You're right though, you'd at least think that your bandmates would be able to bite the bullet and honour the commitments they made until the end of the year before calling it quits. Fair enough if it was 2 or 3, but cancelling a dozen gigs is a damn shame. Especially for that bass player!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Give it one more try, SSM.

It looks like you all have a lot at stake here. Plus, one member is otherwise unemployed.

Perhaps you can at least talk them into playing the remaining gigs.

It's worth a shot.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Nadroj, I don't have anything else, but it's not so bad for me, as I took early retirement nearly two years ago.

Tom, I'm seeing the band leader tonight, but I don't hold out too much hope, as this has been coming for a while, and he just snapped.

It's a pity, as I am good friends with them all.

The band leader has another band, so maybe they will be able to step in and cover some of the gigs. Doesn't help the bass player though!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Have you tried advertising on Dep musicians in the UK or Uk musicians for gigs (Facebook)? I would have thought that as there are 12 gigs on offer, you should be able to find someone. Indeed I might even know someone, depending on where you are located....
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Sad when this happens, if only reason is the issue with guitarist then look for a dep or replacement, a Paul Rodgers tribute is all about the singer, (spooky I was listening to the Royal Sessions today) .

Sometimes though the latest issue can be last straw. If that is case it may not be practical to move on with a replacement guitarist.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

It's a shame when people can't be professional about things. Even if it were impossible to reconcile enough to finish out the calendar, the whole, "refused to step on the stage as the lead guitarist again" thing is such crap. No matter whose fault it may be.

What's done is done. Too bad you guys were too specific to put together something temporarily to play those gigs. Maybe you can come up with another idea if the venues are willing.

Best wishes on whatever you do next. You, the drummer, and the bass player can probably come up with something cool.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's progress.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I agree with xK... with 12 confirmed gigs, you should be able to find a replacement. There are professionals out there to be hired.

Also, you mention that the band leader has another band, and may try to fill the gigs that way. Maybe the guitarist from that band could do it. Even if he's not really into it, or not of the calibre you'd like, maybe it would be manageable just to fill out the 12 gigs?

Personally, I would try to do everything possible to honor the commitments the band has... and then get out. Because I wouldn't want to be in a band if the bandleader was that unprofessional that he's so willing to blow off confirmed gigs, which is disrespectful to the other musicians as well as to the people who hired you. It's one thing to say you're not going to book any more gigs, it's something else to walk on the commitments you've already made. Music history is full of people who played on stage who sometimes hated each other. Being a professional is more than just knowing your parts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree with xK... with 12 confirmed gigs, you should be able to find a replacement. There are professionals out there to be hired.

Also, you mention that the band leader has another band, and may try to fill the gigs that way. Maybe the guitarist from that band could do it. Even if he's not really into it, or not of the calibre you'd like, maybe it would be manageable just to fill out the 12 gigs?

Personally, I would try to do everything possible to honor the commitments the band has... and then get out. Because I wouldn't want to be in a band if the bandleader was that unprofessional that he's so willing to blow off confirmed gigs, which is disrespectful to the other musicians as well as to the people who hired you. It's one thing to say you're not going to book any more gigs, it's something else to walk on the commitments you've already made. Music history is full of people who played on stage who sometimes hated each other. Being a professional is more than just knowing your parts.

+1

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

6 years is a long run for a band. Sorry to hear that. Certainly been there.

I dont think its over though. Who else can sing? Anyone willing to try? Downsizing has been a successful avenue for me in the past. Looking back it was a positive thing most of the time.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

It's difficult to just get a replacement guitarist, because the type of music we do is a bit out of left field (Paul Rodgers Tribute).

If you've got a guy who can convincingly cover Paul Rodgers (one of the best rock singers ever out of the UK)... wow! It shouldn't be difficult to find a guitar player who can cover Mick Ralphs and Paul Kossoff (who honestly weren't all that proficient technically).

You know the dynamics of your band though. If it's time to hang it up, it's time. But I'm with the consensus here - I'd try to keep it together somehow.

Our lead singer sounds more like Paul Rodgers than Paul Rodgers does! He would be impossible to replace .

It pains me to say this, as they are all my friends, but if I was going to point the finger at anyone, it would be the lead guitarist. His attitude has been getting on everyone's nerves for a while, and he's made it plain that his other band is his priority.

I have just come off the phone with the singer/bandleader, and he has made arrangements with most of the venues to cover with his other band, so at least the pubs/clubs are not being let down. a couple of places have "first call" dep bands on their books, so they are covered too.

We can't hire another guitarist at short notice, because a lot of the songs we do are from early Free and Bad Company albums, and most guitarists just don't know the tunes.

We are going to have another meeting, to see if we can form a band that goes in a different direction, and hire a new lead guitarist, as everyone else gets on fine with each other. Time will tell.

SSM

It shouldn't be difficult to find a guitar player who can cover Mick Ralphs and Paul Kossoff (who honestly weren't all that proficient technically).

Didn't you know Bill, it's written on a wall somewhere in London, that Kossoff is God? The only thing is, the guy who wrote it was illiterate, and he spelt it C L A P T O N. :laugh:

SSM

We can't hire another guitarist at short notice, because a lot of the songs we do are from early Free and Bad Company albums, and most guitarists just don't know the tunes.

For a guaranteed 12 gigs over the next two months, you might well find someone willing to woodshed and learn them fast. Heck, Alan White learned most of the Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge in 3 days. At least you're not a Yes tribute band. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For a guaranteed 12 gigs over the next two months, you might well find someone willing to woodshed and learn them fast. Heck, Alan White learned most of the Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge in 3 days. At least you're not a Yes tribute band. ;-)

It's a b****y good job too, Rick Wakeman i am not!!!

Anyway Scott, things are sorted for the moment, the gigs are covered, and it might do everyone some good to calm down for a week or two. Then we can meet up, and see if theres a future, or maybe after six years, people might want to go off and do something else.

Musicians!!

SSM

things are sorted for the moment, the gigs are covered, and it might do everyone some good to calm down for a week or two. Then we can meet up, and see if theres a future, or maybe after six years, people might want to go off and do something else.

well, that was a lot of ground covered in a few hours. :thu:

keep us posted, SSM.

:nopity:

In situations like these, member the immortal words of Del Paxton.
+ 1,000,000

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

We are talking about a guitar player, right? You can't find a replacement guitar player? There are 16 year olds who can cover that stuff!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I know the feeling, ours shut down after 8 years in July.

Bands are like marriages... 8 years? That's pretty good!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This was my initial thought, as well. Sort of a spin on the "Field of Dreams" thing. Have gigs, musicians will come....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

i know all that bad co stuff on guitar. You want to fly me out from ohio?

FunMachine.

Thanks for the offer Kas, :laugh: but the gigs are covered, and the band is no more.

I went out with the band leader last night, and we spoke about forming a new band, doing covers rather than going down the tribute road again. We agreed that we needed to do something outside the norm, but still covering well known songs, just to set us apart from the 20 other bands around here that seem to do standard stuff.

Whether anything will come of it, we'll have to see what the rest of the remaining band members think.

SSM

Archived