Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

On 12/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, hurricane hugo said:

A long time ago, I started a DI box thread over at the bass forum. I have just found out that that thread's been archived and I can't post in it anymore, so I guess I'm dropping this here:

Nice demo for that pedal.

I should note the player’s expressions were concerning.  At first, I thought his bass smelled funny.  But I noticed that his expressions were consistent as he switched instruments.  The smell must be in the room!

Surströmming, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 11/30/2023 at 9:39 PM, hurricane hugo said:

Like they mentioned, this looks like a PERFECT practice tool.

And if you’re the kind of player with an arsenal of amps, this could help you narrow down WHAT amp & cab options work best for a set list or new composition.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I should probably get an EQ pedal, but that’s like getting a Formula 1 racer for someone who barely passed their driving test in a used Kia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/3/2023 at 1:03 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Like they mentioned, this looks like a PERFECT practice tool.

What with the headphones-output and effects-loop (its 'loop is pre-'phones, correct?) and the capability of being very likely to closely match the desired tones and effects intended for rehearsal/gigs/recording, keeping one enthused and even inspired, it would be great for practicing!

I use my Iridium A LOT for playing through headphones- for being silent in the house, getting thoroughly enjoyable tone and feel, and NOT wearing down the tubes in my 'real' amps.

This Boss IR-2 is less expensive than the Iridium, and has some more features and options. I don't think I'd want to replace my Iridium with one (and there are also the UA Ruby and Dream to compare it to), but if I needed another such modeler/IR DI and headphones device in a pedal format, the IR-2 would be a cost-effective choice that I would feel more at ease with if banging around and/or letting someone else use on the fly at a gig or jam or whatnot.

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I should probably get an EQ pedal, but that’s like getting a Formula 1 racer for someone who barely passed their driving test in a used Kia.

Naaa. Not in general- I'd bet that you'd get a lot of good, enjoyable use out of an EQ pedal. You might not need anything exceedingly 'fancy' and expensive, but some new tires for your Kia could improve your ride... !

Though, personally, I try to get all I can out of my guitars, pedals, amps, etc. without added EQ or Noise Suppression...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

21 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Not in general- I'd bet that you'd get a lot of good, enjoyable use out of an EQ pedal. You might not need anything exceedingly 'fancy' and expensive, but some new tires for your Kia could improve your ride... !

Sorry for my imprecision: I meant THAT EQ pedal would be an F1 racer compared to my actual needs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Sorry for my imprecision: I meant THAT EQ pedal would be an F1 racer compared to my actual needs!

Haahhaahh! Me, too. At least, I think.

The closest I come is with a vintage-based germanium Treble Booster pedal, and pedals that have their own EQ controls and/or inherent mid-boost/"mid-hump"...

Maybe if I dipped my toe into extensive EQ sculpting, though, especially with programmable memory slots and all that, I just might tumble right down that rabbit-hole... !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

...I guess Leslie's making effects pedals now:

That has some great features; a feature-set similar to that of my old Boss RT-20, and the Neo Ventilator II.

While I could tell a LOT more if I had the opportunity to test-drive it in person and twiddle some knobs, judging just by this demo video, I think that I may actually prefer the sound of my venerable Boss RT-20! I'd have to try the different Cab Modes, the Distance, and Mix to find whether or not I could get it to sound a little more to my liking. I'd also have to compare it to the Neo Vent II, which is currently what I'm looking to as a potential upgrade from the RT-20.

Hearing these in stereo operation would be very, very important to me. While many fantastic, classic recordings and live performances have been in mono, I really enjoy a stereo Leslie-sim effect when playing live. The perceived rotating motion greatly improves the realisticness of the sim.

The Overdrive character of the Leslie Cream and the Neo Vent II would be another major deal making or breaking point; I already know that I don't like my RT-20's Overdrive... ! It would have been nice if the Overdrive- and the Distance, Mix, and various Cab Models had been explored in the deo-vid...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.surfyindustries.com/store#!/SurfyBear-Classic-Black-with-SurfyPan/p/364978285/category=40852028

I discovered this company (a somewhat new one) last night while looking into whether anyone still makes Spring Reverbs now that Fender stopped production and their formerly $650 units now go regularly for $2400 or higher on the used market.

I first discovered some large effects pedals that have actual springs in them (a tiny handful of manufacturers) but then found my way to this Swedish company that debuted a few years ago with FET based solid state boards that use four long springs like the old Fender Reverb Tanks.

As most people know, the so-called “reverb” in the Deluxe Reverb amp is a Vibrato, not a Fender Spring Reverb Tank, but the current models that include actual reverb tanks (Super Reverb — super expensive — and Blues Jr) are not to my liking and anyway I’d want to use it with the Deluxe Reverb amp.

I don’t use surf sounds all that much in my music, but I sure do use a lot of spring reverb in anything that is reggae influenced, so I am glad to be able to do that while playing rather than guess what it will sound like later and do it in production with audio plugins.

I don’t care for other types of reverb, except for Plate Reverb, which is similar in some ways to Spring Reverb, only way larger. Some people build their own, but you gotta have the room. Not worth it! Unlike Spring Reverb, Plate Reverb is pretty good in audio plugins and it doesn’t really much affect how you play or phrase while doing a take.

Anyway, I got lucky with the New Year sale as this reverb tank is usually $450, and as the effect pedals that have springs are more expensive as well.

I’ll sit this atop the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb.

They have a metal version with True Bypass but I don’t think it sounds quite as good; it’s a bit dark sounding. It was a tough choice though. It would be more practical for live use, of course, but I rarely play guitar live, even though I play it almost daily at home. I decided years ago that my live life would mostly be bass, woodwinds, keyboards.

• Like 6

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

The SurfyBear Classic is magnificent! Way better than I expected, given the solid state approach vs. tubes. A very classic vintage sound. Those wanting a more modern sound will want to go for the black metal version, or the new rack version.

It doesn't have a user manual, so I'm a bit confused about whether I need the SurfyDrip switch and what it would do:

https://www.surfyindustries.com/store#!/SurfyDrip-Switch-V1-1/p/177605542/category=40847028

I bought a CIOKS expander for my pedalboard and plan to connect directly to that for voltage and current requirements vs. the supplied AC adapter.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 1/13/2024 at 5:31 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

The SurfyBear Classic is magnificent! Way better than I expected, given the solid state approach vs. tubes. A very classic vintage sound.

Awesome! Glad to hear it. SurfyBear seems to have a great rep, going by what I've read from very satisfied owners.

Which pan is in yours? The 'regular' Accutronics pan, or the Surfy Pan version (made by Accutronics) that better emulates the vintage stand-alone Fender Reverb units?

On 1/13/2024 at 5:31 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

...I'm a bit confused about whether I need the SurfyDrip switch and what it would do...

I think that the SurfyDrip Switch allows you to set your SurfyBear Reverb unit for the highest amount of reverb-mix that you'd want, and then set the SurfyDrip Switch for a lower amount to switch to with the tap of a foot.

• Like 2

Yep, you're right about the purpose of the SurfyDrip switch; it is more than an on/off switch. I found a description elsewhere that is close to your wording. I won't be using this live as I rarely play guitar in concert; just bass, woodwinds, and keyboards. So, I've decided not to bother, as it needs a battery for its LED to work (no pedal power possible).

Mine has the modified Surfy Pan version of the spring pan made by Accutronics. It definitely sounds like the original Fender reverb tanks to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I like the Jam pedals Outaurus, but at $419., my EHX Lizard Queen for $99. does just as good.

Likewise, that Cunningham Zonk/MK1 Fuzz sounded FANTASTIC, ESPECIALLY set to its (Tonebender) MK1 Mode. But originally listed for $499, and used specimens- IF you can find one for sale- very likely priced for hundreds more... ?! Hard pass.

Conversely, that JHS/ROSS Fuzz was a surprise there, I wouldn't have expected to like it as much (for being a YT Vid demo, as opposed to actually playing through one). I see that used specimens can be had for pretty reasonable prices; it SOUNDS (in this video) like 'more money'.

All this said while I'm very unlikely to be considering buying any fuzz pedals, with very few, very specific exceptions...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Keeley continues to evolve the Blues Driver circuit:

Indeed he does. I'm very pleased with my 'Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod', which seems to be a more aggressive and bigger, fatter, less refined (more brattitude, less capable of 'cleaning-up') cousin of this new Muse Driver pedal...  My RSGPM has a fuzzier edge melded in, and is almost a distortion pedal without sounding like 'Metal distortion'.  This new Muse Driver evokes 'Jeff Beck Tone in a Box', to as much a degree as that could be- that is, Jeff himself would probably have enjoyed this pedal, I think it would have fit in with his approach very well... 

• Like 3

I love my Keeley Katana Blues- one of the earlier BD pedals RK made for his own company, but I can’t help but think something like the Muse and the RSGPM could work side by side on the same board, almost like a subtler version of that common BD-TS pairing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I love my Keeley Katana Blues- one of the earlier BD pedals RK made for his own company, but I can’t help but think something like the Muse and the RSGPM could work side by side on the same board, almost like a subtler version of that common BD-TS pairing.

I really enjoy having my Keeley RSGPM and my Fulltone CS Ranger (germanium Rangemaster Treble Booster type) together, to alternate between BIG, FAT overdrive with generous amounts of distortion and fuzz shoveled in with a LOT of bass and mids, and 'Karate chop' tone emphasizing mids and upper-mids, between those two pedals, respectively. I do NOT stack them one into the other, however- the RSGPM is too gainy and aggressive for that, it gets carried away and prone to unpleasant noises. Oddly, in spite of its HUGE lows and mids boost and being somewhat uncooperative with 'cleaning-up', it somehow manages to evoke a feel and character kinda sorta like a Treble Booster in a way. They make a great tag-team.

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

...that common BD-TS pairing.

Speaking of THAT, my fantabulous TS-flavored Origin Effects Halcyon Green Overdrive and (soon to be mine) equally fantabulous Klon-flavored OE Halcyon Gold OD make an incredible 'one/two/both stacked' pairing!

I would love to compare the Muse Driver and the Halcyon Gold; I suspect that the H Gold will win out for me, personally, though I expect that I'd love the Muse, as well. I just might have to obtain a MD to compare with the HGOD, just for the fun of it; and then I might have to find a good home for the Muse...

• Like 4

@Dannyalcatraz and @Caevan O’Shite, +1 Keeley makes some great quality pedals.  I have a Keeley Memphis Sun that I would run on a pedal board with my MXR Carbon Copy Delay and this new Keeley Muse (if I had one) even though I wouldn't necessarily run them at the same time and use more of the "tag team" concept.  Nothing wrong with running duplicate stomp pedals that you love with different settings even though they do similar things.  Multi-Effects guys may set up a bank of 3 or more pedal patches using the same concept.  I used to run an MXR Comp and an MXR Dyna Comp using different settings for different reasons on the same board "paring" them with other pedals like the Boss Blues Driver and Boss Distortion (but not using the two comps at the same time).  The Muse sounds like it would work perfectly with the Fender reverb amps I see in shown and I think played in the video.  😎 

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

On 1/25/2024 at 3:00 PM, surfergirl said:

Here is a Arcane Analog Rangemaster I've been looking at for the future, maybe. I couldn't find a video. There is a price range, depending on the transistor.

https://arcaneanalog.bigcartel.com/product/arcane-analog-rangemaster-classic-germanium-boost

Just curious, Jenny- Would you be using a 'Treble Booster' type more for rhythms, chords, riffs 'n fills- or, more for leads and such? Or, fairly equally for both?

• Like 1

They've just intrigued me. I'm not really sure what the difference between a boost and a treble boost pedal are. I'm not buying any more pedals for now. Unless I decide to get something weird for under $60.

fvwf6ywpnr0gj81pffch.thumb.jpg.52d1da2b61d1575b9c70e7306deec524.jpg

• Like 1

Jennifer S.

5 hours ago, surfergirl said:

They've just intrigued me. I'm not really sure what the difference between a boost and a treble boost pedal are. I'm not buying any more pedals for now. Unless I decide to get something weird for under $60.

fvwf6ywpnr0gj81pffch.thumb.jpg.52d1da2b61d1575b9c70e7306deec524.jpg

I’ve seen those on Reverb, plus a couple others they make.  You know anything about them?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, surfergirl said:

They've just intrigued me. I'm not really sure what the difference between a boost and a treble boost pedal are.

In general, a Boost Pedal should give your signal a boost across all frequency bands; think of it as a "MORE" or even a "LOUDER" pedal. While adding a Boost Pedal to your signal chain might also increase compression or even signal clipping, a Boost Pedal in and of itself shouldn't add any Distortion or tone coloration.

Treble Boosts do pretty much what the name describes, adding a distinctive High Frequency Boost to your Guitar signal. Treble Boosts were very popular among 70's British Prog Guitarists, like Steve Howe, for cutting through dense Synth & KB tones. Since Guitars and Synths occupy much of the same frequency range, they can wind up stepping on one another in the mix. (FWIW, many of those Prog Guitarists were also using Gibson Guitars with HB's, instead of SC's, like your Strats, and some players feel that HB's can 'muddy" your tone.)

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Doing a quick search on those Boulevard Pedals, they only seem to have a presence on Reverb(?), and they only seem to have 4 pedals. I suspect that the Darkship and the smaller Airship are using the same Delay chip, as they both max out at 1300 ms.

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

8 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I'm not really sure what the difference between a boost and a treble boost pedal are.

Brother Winston said it well above.

Furthermore, vintage/Rangemaster-based pedals are really more of a 'mids/upper-mids' boost, that cut-off much of the low and low-mid frequencies. They tightened up the flub and reduced the mud of cranked-up early tube-amps. And they oftten DO contribute some or even a lot of quasi-fuzzy grit, dirt and bite, depending on their transistors, and control-settings. Many often also contribute as part pf the 'clean-up' process when using the guitar's volume-knob(s) and ones picking-attack "touch", in turn being part of the ''dirtying-up' when the guitar's volume-knob(s) are turned up and picking-attack is stronger, as they can boost the input to the amp and add some of their own dirt.

It's never been confirmed for sure, but some of Clapton's tracks on the classic "Beano" album with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers may have been done with a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster. (Humbuckers.)

Tony Iomi used a treble-booster of one type or another quite a bit on a lot of classic Black Sabbath recordings (and concerts?). (P-90's and Humbuckers.)

Brian May famously used a preamp/treble-booster device made by his friend and Queen bassist, John Deacon. (Single-coils with a wide array of series/parallel/phase options.)

Rory Gallagher often used treble-booster pedals. (Single-coils.)

I favor very vintage-y germanium-transistor treble Booster types; mine can be clean or dirty in and of itself, can add a bit of chime and compression of its own along with pushing the amp harder for that, and also can be a full-range boost as well as having five different cot-off frequency points to choose from, two of which are the same as those classic Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster boxes. I like it for what I think of as a sort of a 'karate-chop' overdrive tone for chords, riffs, and fills, that can also clean-up very nicely. It's especially fantastic with Marshall and Vox voiced amps! I like to alternate that with fatter, fuller overdrive tones for leads.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about Boulevard pedals other than what I've read on reverb. Mostly they replace something I already have, so probably a pass. 

I like things on the bright/treble side. My pickups are alnico ll, on the warm side. I'm using a Boss Street Cube ll and a Vox VT 40+, both on the bright side, they offset each other.  So I'm thinking a MXR Micro Amp+ or the full size TC Spark which have an eq would be a compromise.

Back to Boulevard pedals. I'm in a quandary about cheap pedals. I like things that cheap, at the same time I don't like under cutting. I look for sales, returns or blemished from companies I know.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.