Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

hurricane hugo

3 hours ago, CEB said:

Everyone must get one.  B’s Music has a YouTube demo vid but the guy talks too much.  

I already have two of the vintage originals, I don't need a pedal for that...

CHKUvA3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

11 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

We’ll, NOW we as a community need to start a GoFundMe to get one* to send to Winston, because he already has a Korg Miku stomp.  

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE MIND BOGGLING!

* and maybe a signal splitter 

In a word . . . NO!

Really, thank you, but no, please, I beg you . . .

I made my way maybe a minute or three into the "long-winded" demo, and that was more than enough for me.

This is a "Gimmick Box," at best. I suspect that a few people will buy it for the novelty factor, then quickly grow tired of it. At $200, I think that will be very few.  If it were cheap, like $25 cheap, you might buy it as a prank, spray-paint it black, and sneak it onto a friend's 'board, or pull it out for a laugh every so often.

While I've been able to work within the limitations of the MIKU Stomp to bring Music out of it, I really can't see a serious Musical application for this thing? Sure, it's funny, for a few minutes, but beyond that, it's annoying, and not quite in tune.

BTW, I already have a 1X4 Splitter Box, a 32-point Patchbay, and a 10-Channel Mixer, so I think I'm good there.

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 3 weeks later...

Time to put some METAL to your pedalboard!

A side note: too often, demos feature players using gear that is not going to be in the budget of the average audience member.  But while this guy’s rig isn’t exactly white bread & butter, the pickups in that guitar are a SD 59 and a Jazz- relatively common stock pickups in guitars aimed at hard rock & metal guitarists.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

HMMMmmm...

I'm trying to create the motorcycle revving sound in Leader Of The Pack, this might do it. Unfortunately the price will keep it out my hands. But it would be a fun pedal to have.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Jennifer S.

28 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

image.gif.db6c35ce0d35b00cb5caafbf46d2937e.gif

My poor wallet!

And

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I'm trying to create the motorcycle revving sound in Leader Of The Pack, this might do it. Unfortunately the price will keep it out my hands. But it would be a fun pedal to have.

Tell me about it... income reduced to little more than a quarter for a few months, medical bills coming in, having to pay for my elected benefits through my job that are usually taken from my gross pay... Not complaining! That all just means a halt on such expenditures for a while!  :D 

• Like 3

Ren & Stimpy would both be wearing Zoom MS-70CDR pedals as ear rings and pressing on with their mission to bring to the world the joy of their nipples. :rocker:

Every child should be issued that pedal at birth. Its a Hulk crammed into a little box.

• Like 2

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

On 10/17/2014 at 9:42 AM, hurricane hugo said:

Figured we could use this as a catch-all for mew effects unit news and discussion...anyway, check this out - a box for acoustic guitars that uses the guitar body itself as the "speaker": http://www.gizmag.com/tonewoodamp-acoustic-guitar-effects/33958/

:D

Using the guitar body as the speaker sounds innovative and unique. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t own an expression pedal of any kind.  I know I could use one, and have slowly been drifting towards getting one.  But this may accelerate the process.*

* because it’s WEIRD and POWERFUL, as am I!

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Boss has a function much like this, or arguably two of them, built into most of their GT-series MFX, the Internal Pedal, and the Wave Pedal.

The Internal Pedal is what's called a "Triggered Event Generator," (say that three times fast); it's essentially a One-Shot control, activate it, and something happens, depending on what Parameters you've assigned it to control, and the range of control.

The Wave Pedal is essentially another internal LFO, with a Rate setting, and a choice of Saw, Triangle, or Sine Waves.

Of course, this video now has me curious about using the Wave Pedal as a MIDI CC for other MIDI addressable FX? Thanks for giving me something to try today!

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

2 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

Bowden Benders rule! I had THREE Bowden-designed Epiphone 'EZ-Benders' on the tailpiece of a Les Paul strung for and tuned to Open-D Tuning, and it rocked! The Bowden branded units are of an even higher quality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Those devices are all pretty cool…but I should absolutely NEVER get any of those.

Idunno, I bet that you'd really enjoy a Bowden Bender, whether on an acoustic or an electric guitar. I just loved hearing Jimmy Page use Benders, that was all I needed to make me have to have one... >Waah~IIIIIRRR... !!<

• Like 2

Although the gadgets are very cool, I would not use any of them on an acoustic guitar.  The demonstrater in the vid did an excellent job and gave his critique of each device.  The benders got in the way of strumming and picking when not in use on an acoustic and the mounting could move and take the strings out of tune if one was not careful.  The tap snare rattled when not in use.  The headstock device was not made for the tuners and needed a pad to protect the headstock when modified (it's also a good way to break strings above the nut).  The large reverb springs device was held on by magents mounted under the sound board and would alter the acoustic vibration IMHO.  I think there are many effect pedals, amps, PA's, etc., for adding reverb to acoustic guitars these days...  

All of these gadgets would be fun to have and play around with, but I would only use them on a cheaper acoustic with inexpensive tops. I think the benders would be more secure and work well on electric guitars.  I love B Benders and the steel guitar effects many country Tele players get out of them.  😎

• Like 4
Take care, Larryz

26 minutes ago, Larryz said:

Although the gadgets are very cool, I would not use any of them on an acoustic guitar.

Most of those would not interest me.

I might consider the de-tuners- maybe- and the Bowden Benders.

One of the great things about those Bowden Benders is how they require no modification of the guitar at all, and are easily removed.

=IF= I had more than one acoustic flat-top, and =IF= I was frequently recording (especially like a real session player would), I'd be even more likely to have some Bowden Benders on a flat-top acoustic.

• Like 3

The Samjam guitar snare is pretty cool and not that expensive, but I try not to spend my limited resources on gadgets. I would also be leary of putting anything with adhesives on my guitar, especially, in high humidity. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

The Tap Snare is a variation on an old Flamenco technique of using the Guitar body itself as Percussion Instrument.

Tap plates for Flamenco Guitar

As mods go, Tap Plates are pretty cheap, but most of us will never need or want them.

The sound of the Snare didn't grab me at all - neither did the "Spring Reverb." I can easily see someone losing the little magnets and some kid or dog swallowing them. No thanks.

The other gadgets made me think "A Floyd Rose rig for Acoustic." It was not a happy thought.

Then, there's always THIS . . .

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Then, there's always THIS . . .

Even in the die hard world of the Gretsch Forum where just about anything Gretschy is revered, this is met with guffaws. Who actually plays this model?

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

@Caevan O’Shite, Here's a short video that demonstrates the sound you could get using a B Bender on an acoustic guitar. I can see why you would want one, especially if you were into blue grass and country.  This is a built-in custom job:

🤠👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

12 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

The other gadgets made me think "A Floyd Rose rig for Acoustic." It was not a happy thought.

Except that they're not.

The de-tuners just tune the pitch of a given string down by a preset amount for alternate tunings and back up, the way some banjo tuners and other similar de-tuner devices do (Hipshot, etc.).

And the Bowden Benders are not vibrato/'tremolo" devices like a Floyd Rose or Bigsby, they're single-string benders for pedal-steel like effects where a string's pitch is smoothly bent up by a preset amount and back down, like the famed Parsons/White B-Bender. This can be done within a chord, for example, and/or while playing slide.

I had three Bowden-designed Epiphone E-Z Benders mounted on the tailpiece of a Les Paul that was strung for and tuned to Open-D Tuning, and it was GLORIOUS.

The Bowden-branded units are higher quality than the licensed Epiphone-branded ones, and as seen here, they come in a wide variety of models to fit many different types of electric and acoustic guitars without any modifications.

• Like 2

@Caevan O’Shite - Thank you for the clarification.

Maybe it was the way the guy presented the products that turned me off? In fairness, I should say that I'm one of those players who avoids Tremolo systems, whenever possible, so this kind of product isn't aimed at people like me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, desertbluesman said:

I solid blocked Tremolo systems on any guitar that I ever owned that had a stock tremolo. I never used one for long before I blocked them solid.

That's cool. Though these various Bender devices are specifically for bending up the pitch of one string like a pedal steel player does, even within a chord. Many are activated from the strap-button being pulled against; some, like the one above, are palm-levers, and even other designs. It's a blast and a great effect! I fell in love with the way Jimmy Page used a Bender in some Led Zeppelin songs. I had three Benders on the tailpiece of a Les Paul, that was also strung for and tuned to Open-D (D A D F# A D.

• Like 3

This definitely got my attention:

Of course, anything that Bill Ruppert demos sounds unbelievably great. But this box seems to combine what I currently use 4 different multi-effects boxes for, into one pretty cool box.

• Like 6
Scott Fraser