Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS attack: Just bought a Hammond SK1

Curmudgeon

I succumbed to a serious bout of GAS tonight. I've been eyeballing clonewheels for over a year, and started putting some money aside to buy one. Tonight, I pulled the trigger on a B stock Hammond SK1 on eBay for just under $1,500 shipped. Manufacturer refurbished, with a US warranty.

I also considered the VR09, Numa 2, and XK1C, but was put off by the Roland action and Studiologic's history of quality control issues, and I decided I wanted the extra voices.

This is somewhat of an indulgence for me. I don't use Hammond sounds often enough to justify it from a business standpoint, and I already have Mainstage and a controller with sliders. I just really love the sound of a tonewheel organ, and have wanted to dig into that idiom. I expect the SK1 will remove some excuses by eliminating the need to set up Mainstage every time I want to play organ. I may also choose to take it into situations where I normally play acoustic piano, and where I'd like to sometimes use Hammond sounds, but where setup time is limited enough to make me nervous about using my full MIDI rig.

So, I'm pretty excited, and may not sleep tonight.

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funnily enough, I've been meaning to get around to posting about how much I love mine. It's the consummate rehearsal board (5kg and you can backpack it) and for any gigs where space for keys is almost nil (e.g. many UK pubs) it's a real winner. And it sounds great.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

You will enjoys its strengths and what small weaknesses exist you will work around.

I swapped an SK1-73 for and SK2 , and the Extra Voices will usually fill the bill for most of my gigs.

What is most refreshing now is that we can discuss the Hammonds pros AND cons without the constant anti Hammond bashing.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I'm enjoying my SK1-73, haven't yet had it long enough to really get comfortable with it. It is lighter and easier to carry than the PC361 even. The PC361 also makes a good combination with it and lets me play both manuals without splits.

I couldn't really justify the expense either, but I'm glad that I bought it. It doesn't do everything, but the combination does more than I can fully exploit.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I wish there would be a firmware update down the road where a different EVs could be assigned to both manuals (I am thinking a piano/string layer) but I assume the engine has fixed resources and could not accomplish this.

I have loaded the latest Library with the piano/string layer but it just isn't there for me.Also the "horns" especially the campy pro chord patches also, but to me, the tenor sax is passable.

Now I use an accordion patch, and I find the Hammonds patch is really good, although the Kurzweil and Roland Supernatural have more performance controls for bellows and timbre.

I wonder whats around the bend for Hammond. Will we see a new clone? I dont know what they could do other than beef up the EVs.

As others have commented, the SK1s are just too easy to transport and set up and get really nice sounds, plus the keys feel good.Even my SK2 still is easier to shlep than my Artis, although I am not comparing critical sounds between the two.

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Congrats, I had my Nord Electro 3 73 stolen along with an old school Roland RD200. Bought the SK173---it replaces both on gigs. I LOVE it big time. And the additional voices are very good.

2 minor cons: 1) I find editing the sounds kind of a hassle---the editing menus are convoluted to me. I do it, and Im always happy with what I make, but Im always annoyed until I figure it out---very minor gripe.

2) The Rhodes sound is great if you load it up with tremolo, overdrive, etc. But I like the dry as a bone, belly tone, a Mark V-like tone, or dynod. I cant get it on this machine. Any advice?

Again, minor gripe

I actually like how the stereo grand cuts thru on stage.very bright and punchy.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

....... the tenor sax is passable.

I'm on the outside looking in with these latest hammonds. I want the adjustable tonewheels these have but NO PITCHWHEEL? How do you have a saxophone patch and no wheel? That $10.00 part Hammond didn't want to put in the SK1 has stopped me from dropping the $1800.00 or so for one of these. Very bad Hammond, very bad.

FunMachine.

I'm on the outside looking in with these latest hammonds. I want the adjustable tonewheels these have but NO PITCHWHEEL? How do you have a saxophone patch and no wheel? That $10.00 part Hammond didn't want to put in the SK1 has stopped me from dropping the $1800.00 or so for one of these. Very bad Hammond, very bad.

Many people use the SK1 as a second tier keyboard with a controller keyboard on the bottom tier. The SK1 will respond to pitchbend commands so you could use a bottom tier controller with PB and mod wheels to control sax sounds.

To play Devils Advocate.. the SK is primarily a Hammond emulation/real/clone.. the EVs are gratis add ons, if you will..

Having said that, if it emulates a B3, I have yet to find one with a pitch or mod wheel on it(albiet a 3000, which may have had one?)

SpaceStation V3,

To play Devils Advocate.. the SK is primarily a Hammond emulation/real/clone.. the EVs are gratis add ons, if you will..

Having said that, if it emulates a B3, I have yet to find one with a pitch or mod wheel on it(albiet a 3000, which may have had one?)

How many real tone wheels have you seen with a sax patch? If a real B or M organ had a pitch effect Tom Schultz would have used it so I don't apologize for playing a traditional instrument with unusual pitch effects. For some things like blues guitar I'm a purist. But with organ it's a wide open field for me and anything goes if you can make it sound good. I can and do use pitch effects and make them sound good.

FunMachine.

How many real tone wheels have you seen with a sax patch? If a real B or M organ had a pitch effect Tom Schultz would have used it so I don't apologize for playing a traditional instrument with unusual pitch effects. For some things like blues guitar I'm a purist. But with organ it's a wide open field for me and anything goes if you can make it sound good. I can and do use pitch effects and make them sound good.

The probably a vr09 would be perfect for you ,since it has your prerequisite stick.

Look I am all for controllers to augment a performance, foot controllers, aftertouch, wheels, knobs, ribbons, blah blah.

Yes there's no sax on a B3, although its interesting the early registrations were based on orchestra emulations.

So apparently you aren't interested in a very good tone wheel organ emulation and the controls associated with just that.Thats fine and good, that's why we have vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream.

Its all good, Kas, I don't want a conundrum here, its finally quite again.If I want to add pitch or vibrato that bad on my flute voice on my SK2 I will throw my Behringer BN44 on the rig and generate controllers that way.

SpaceStation V3,

@ham. I guess I didn't clearly express what I ultimately want. I got a bit off on a tangent about sax sounds which I would use about once a year. To sum up the perfect clone for me: I want an XK3c but upgrade the sounds to the XK1c . Then get rid of the fake wood and any thing that makes the weight over 20lbs. Keep both wheels. You can ditch the EVs, or not.

FunMachine.

To sum up the perfect clone for me: I want an XK3c but upgrade the sounds to the XK1c . Then get rid of the fake wood and any thing that makes the weight over 20lbs. Keep both wheels. You can ditch the EVs, or not.

Maybe a Numa Organ would work for you as something in the middle. Just a bit over 20 lbs, but you get the wheels and the reverse color lower octave preset keys of the XK3c. The XK3c still has the advantages of a second set of drawbars, the tube, the ability to store and recall MIDI presets, and the optional lower manual, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Numa's preset keys are tempting, especially since they can be used like regular keys over MIDI.

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

Archived