Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Home Studio / Synth Set-Up

Adam C.

To celebrate the arrival of my 'new' (to me anyway) YAMAHA S08, (Hooray! 88-weighted keys again!) I thought that I'd post some pictures of my home keyboard set-up in it's current incarnation, (just for posterity's sake.) Hey, there's no such thing as too many synth pics in a keyboard forum, right? ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--d9N3q57B-A/U-rJSvd95kI/AAAAAAAABog/cWzNMUjKkbA/s1600/1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4l9_P0LoIPk/U-rJSluZaRI/AAAAAAAABok/XkPzghxJVW0/s1600/2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-78BDGiZsAgs/U-rJSmmmVQI/AAAAAAAABoc/6ojPvC8rw30/s1600/3.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kKR9wFL29ak/U-rJT4xbuBI/AAAAAAAABos/5lxSi4XipiU/s1600/4.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E0mNTZyiKos/U-rJUMgoYRI/AAAAAAAABo8/hL5MxGw6z_k/s1600/5.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZVesKpnzVmE/U-rJUVt1zGI/AAAAAAAABo0/0QKlyk-oNkk/s1600/6.jpg

Here's most of them set-up back in June for the show that I played in.-----> ('80's Retro Set-up) (I'm really looking forward to playing out again at the next one in October! It's great to have an opportunity to get 'em out of the house once in a while. Even if it is only twice a year.) :thu:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two Invisible stands? :cry:

I hate you. :hitt:

;)

Actually, it's four, but don't tell anybody! :whistle: I've got two others in my storage-shed for future use as my keyboard collection 'expands'. (And I'm always on the look-out for more of them if anybody has any in good condition that they are willing to part with! I'll buy extra brackets and 'T'-brackets too if anyone has any that they want to sell! Just PM me and let me know what you have, and how much you're looking to sell it for, and I'll get right back to you ASAP.)

Two Invisible stands? :cry:

I hate you. :hitt:

;)

Actually, it's four, but don't tell anybody! :whistle: I've got two others in my storage-shed for future use as my keyboard collection 'expands'. (And I'm always on the look-out for more of them if anybody has any in good condition that they are willing to part with! I'll buy extra brackets and 'T'-brackets too if anyone has any that they want to sell! Just PM me and let me know what you have, and how much you're looking to sell it for, and I'll get right back to you ASAP.)

FOUR! I can't believe I actually threw mine in the trash about 15 years ago. I'm such an idiot. :mad:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Not only two Invisible Stands, but two THREE-TIER Invisible Stands. I'm tying to find a second two-tier just so I can reclaim a little space in my living room.

Can you feel the overwhelming wave of hatred emanating towards you from the forum???

:laugh:

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Every once in a while, an Invisible Stand appears on eBay. I just got one for $70 plus shipping...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Adam C., that is an awesome set-up mayne. :thu:

As a teenager, I envisioned having a music room like that in my house as an adult.

Well, fast forward to present and while I have more than enough space for KBs, all I've got is a single Motif ES8. :laugh:

Funny how things change over time. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

looks like an ESQ or an SQ-80

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Okay, I see a lot of (good looking) keyboards, but where is all the stuff that puts everything together? Do you have a mixer, do you have any modules, how do you jam (e.g. with a laptop or with a multitracker or with a looper or whatever). What does the keytar control? That's what would interest me. 10 or so keyboard "with no glue" is about as interesting as 2 keyboards. Do you have any external effects?
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

Not bad but, nothing by Dave Smith Instruments? No Prophet??

Blasphemy! :hitt:

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah, some people have no taste. :cool:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Korg Krome in the pic...

I'll just quote my post again so you can try actually reading it this time. :thu:

Mike, he's only got one piece of gear in that photo that was made since dsi was formed... I wouldn't be expecting much if I were you. ;)

We'll wait for you to catch up. :snax::2thu:

FOUR! I can't believe I actually threw mine ('Invisible Stand') in the trash about 15 years ago. I'm such an idiot. :mad:

Nooooooo! :cry: Don't tell me stuff like that, Bill! It breaks my heart! (And makes me want to go scrounging at the local dump. You know. Just in case...) :whistle:

Wow! Those invisible stands freak me out a bit, I'm sure they defy a few laws of physics...

They are as rock-solid as they come. The more weight you put on them, the sturdier they get. As far as I'm concerned, they should be listed as one of the 'Seven Wonders of the World'. (Too much? Sorry. I guess I get 'overly passionate' when it comes to Invisible Stands.) :D

Gorgeous studio!

Thank-you, brotha'! :cheers:

Not only two Invisible Stands, but two THREE-TIER Invisible Stands. I'm tying to find a second two-tier just so I can reclaim a little space in my living room.

Can you feel the overwhelming wave of hatred emanating towards you from the forum??? :laugh: ..Joe

Well...maybe not exactly full-blown "hatred" yet, but I'm definitely starting to look over my shoulder a lot more.

Very nice.I see that D-50 and smack myself in the head for selling mine.

The ROLAND D-50 has been with me (in one form or another) for the last 25+ years. It's always been the one 'constant' in my ever-changing keyboard set-up. I don't think I'll ever be without one.

Every once in a while, an Invisible Stand appears on eBay. I just got one for $70 plus shipping...

You got a great deal on that, Joe! (If you're ever lookin' to sell it, just let me know.) ;)

Adam C., that is an awesome set-up mayne. :thu:

As a teenager, I envisioned having a music room like that in my house as an adult.

Well, fast forward to present and while I have more than enough space for KBs, all I've got is a single Motif ES8. :laugh:

Funny how things change over time. :cool:

Thanks, man...and I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for my 'all-too-generous' wife indulging my various...well...shall we say "eccentricities"? :)

Man, I still love the look of the D-50! Especially the shape from the back....guess I'm an ass man.

I whole-heartedly agree. (On both counts!) :cool:

AWESOME! What's between the DX7 and the Karma?

Totally Awesome! Looks like an Ensoniq VFX.

looks like an ESQ or an SQ-80

"It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's SUPER-synth!" Thanks guys. It's a (fully-functional! :o ) Ensoniq VFX-SD. (Shocking, I know...) ;)

Okay, I see a lot of (good looking) keyboards, but where is all the stuff that puts everything together? Do you have a mixer, do you have any modules, how do you jam (e.g. with a laptop or with a multitracker or with a looper or whatever). What does the keytar control? That's what would interest me. 10 or so keyboard "with no glue" is about as interesting as 2 keyboards. Do you have any external effects?

Basically, if I'm just jamming (or working on songs for playing live), I use the programmable drum-machine that's built into the KORG KROME. (It's got hundreds of different rhythms and drum-kits, and more than meets my needs in that regard.) Also, my wife plays the Bass, so I've got that going for me, too. The ROLAND AXIS is currently MIDI'ed to my KORG KARMA, (but I can always change that on a whim if I want to.) As far as the sound system end of things, it's pretty 'bare-bones' at the moment, (just because I'm not a super-rich 'mega-tycoon', basically.) I'm using a YAMAHA STAGEPAS 300 set of powered speakers with a built-in amp and mixer. One of the next items on the agenda in the near future would be a 16-Channel Mixer that would give me more inputs, as well as a built-in digital-effects processor. Probably something a lot like the YAMAHA MG16XU. I'll get there eventually. (Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?) ;)

Nice. Quite literally a keyboard corner.

Whoa! Man, you just blew my mind... :freak:

Not bad but, nothing by Dave Smith Instruments? No Prophet?? Blasphemy! :hitt: Cheers! Mike T.

Hey! It's not because I don't want one, believe me! (NOTE: See the above statement regarding my not being a super-rich 'mega-tycoon'.) I'm workin' on it! I'm workin' on it! I currently own keyboards from six different manufacturers so, the way I see it, it's inevitable that I'll own something from Dave Smith eventually! (I'm always open to accepting donations though, if you guys want to help to 'speed-up the process' for me.)

Mike, he's only got one piece of gear in that photo that was made since dsi was formed... I wouldn't be expecting much if I were you. ;)

What can I say, Sven? I've got a soft-spot for the 'classics'! :D Mostly though, it's simply a case of "NEW = Expensive" and "OLD = Cheap(er)". Like I said, if I live long enough, I'm bound to own something from DSI eventually! (And MOOG, and HAMMOND, and OBERHEIM, and...and...dear God I need a second job! Or possibly a dead, rich uncle...) :thu:

Can someone tell me how an invisible stand compares to something like the K&M 18880? I'm thinking about maybe getting an invisible stand now.

Also, that's one really nice setup!

Thanks, Kenny. And as far as the K&M 18880 stand goes, I just looked up some pictures of it on-line and they look pretty cool to me. (Hopefully, someone who's actually owned one might chime-in.) The biggest problem with the stupid 'Invisibles' is their scarcity. That's the real issue. Even if you did find one for sale, it's a crap-shoot as to what "parts" you might actually get with it. You could find a stand that's in really great shape, and at a fair price, but if it only has one set of brackets to hold a single keyboard, then you're back to square-one. (Some of the stands that I currently have are ones that I've owned for over 20+ years, and I've been collecting various 'extra brackets' and other 'add-ons' for them for nearly as long.) They really are an amazing product. It's just a shame that they went out if business. :(

You don't expect him to actually play all that do you? Like all us keyboard junkies, it's just for show!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Ah. You were the one that snagged that. I was wondering if it were one of us here I was bidding against.

We need to start a thread when one comes up for sale so that we work out who gets that particular stand at that particular time; maybe a lottery or something! :)

..Joe

You don't expect him to actually play all that do you? Like all us keyboard junkies, it's just for show! ..Joe

Hey! I've only got two hands, right? :D It kinda reminds me of this 'PackRat' cartoon.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-73pDn2IgIM0/UoW58-ZvKCI/AAAAAAAHw9c/sBKrzEkKXlE/s1600/1456643_615494135177358_253889950_n.jpg

We need to start a thread when one comes up for sale so that we work out who gets that particular stand at that particular time; maybe a lottery or something! :) ..Joe

I second the nomination for that idea! That's using the ol' noggin', Joe! :thu:

Ah. You were the one that snagged that. I was wondering if it were one of us here I was bidding against.

We need to start a thread when one comes up for sale so that we work out who gets that particular stand at that particular time; maybe a lottery or something! :)

..Joe

Heh - except I didn't seem to be bidding against anyone in that particular auction. I waited until the last minute so as to not push up the price, and I won with what I think was the only bid. I did bid on another one a week or two prior to that but I didn't get that one.

I'll be honest, I only checked with other owners who are already stocked up on Invisibles because I didn't want you lot outbidding me. :D Now that I have one, I think your thread idea is a good one. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Need to snag one of those rare, two tiered, Invisible stands. In the mid to late 80's I had one; best stand I've ever owned. Tossed it during a 1992 move - :blush: - because the silver finish had flaked off several times, cutting my hands in the process (those pieces were like mini, razor blades); figured I could get another one, in black, if needed. Wrong....

If I found one of those silver stands now, I'd just strip it and re-paint it black. Those things were light, tight, and they worked :2thu: .

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Need to snag one of those rare, two tiered, Invisible stands. In the mid to late 80's I had one; best stand I've ever owned. Tossed it during a 1992 move - :blush: - because the silver finish had flaked off several times, cutting my hands in the process (those pieces were like mini, razor blades); figured I could get another one, in black, if needed. Wrong....

If I found one of those silver stands now, I'd just strip it and re-paint it black. Those things were light, tight, and they worked :2thu: .

We could have made a swap. ;)

Archived