Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I found the best way to tune my SSv3 was to play out in the backyard with no reflections.

It sounds so quiet like that, but my brothers house is 100 yards across the street and he said it sounds good.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

My SS3 was bought solely on the strength of the reviews on here - yes, after years of lurking I've begun to trust you people.

I've only used it at home so far and for solo playing it definitely lacks bass. Drums and piano lack that satisfying body and so I'm about to buy a sub but don't know which.

I'm looking forward to trying the SS3 on a gig in a band situation but these only turn up 3-4 times per year nowadays.

Throughout the 153 pages of this thread (yes, I've been here for them all) I've had in mind....

Six Phases of a Project

1. Enthusiasm.

2. Disillusionment.

3. Panic.

4. Search for the Guilty.

5. Punishment of the Innocent.

6. Praise and Honors for the Non-Participants.

It's to SS3's and Aspen's credit that we are only just beginning to explore the cusp of 1&2.

BTW hardware, people have said I sound good from 100 yards away as well.

My SS3 was bought solely on the strength of the reviews on here - yes, after years of lurking I've begun to trust you people.

I've only used it at home so far and for solo playing it definitely lacks bass. Drums and piano lack that satisfying body and so I'm about to buy a sub but don't know which.

I'm looking forward to trying the SS3 on a gig in a band situation but these only turn up 3-4 times per year nowadays.

Throughout the 153 pages of this thread (yes, I've been here for them all) I've had in mind....

Six Phases of a Project

1. Enthusiasm.

2. Disillusionment.

3. Panic.

4. Search for the Guilty.

5. Punishment of the Innocent.

6. Praise and Honors for the Non-Participants.

It's to SS3's and Aspen's credit that we are only just beginning to explore the cusp of 1&2.

BTW hardware, people have said I sound good from 100 yards away as well.

Are you running your keyboard straight into the SSV3? I run my PX5s through a small mixer and I can get more bass than I need.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Played a luncheon today at a hospital. Low volume, stuck in the corner of a nondescript room - exactly the type of gig I bought the SSv3 for, and it was perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/59XWbfY.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Anyone have a schematic of the SS3 they can email to me asap? Thanks! Jazzooo @ aol dot com

Top secret, I think.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

My SS3 has developed a rattle at mostly low pitches. Oddly enough if I tilt it more than 30 degrees rt or lt the rattle gets better - tilting forward or backward makes no difference. I checked that the screws were tight on the front & side speaker covers & the ones on the side speaker itself. The only thing I didn't do was take off the front speaker cover & check the screws on the woofer. Has anyone else experienced this & what ended up curing it? Thanks.

Mine has a rattle at certain low frequencies as well. Been thinking about checking screw tightness as mentioned but haven't dug into that yet. Just hoping it's not a bad speaker.
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

My SS3 has developed a rattle at mostly low pitches. Oddly enough if I tilt it more than 30 degrees rt or lt the rattle gets better - tilting forward or backward makes no difference. I checked that the screws were tight on the front & side speaker covers & the ones on the side speaker itself. The only thing I didn't do was take off the front speaker cover & check the screws on the woofer. Has anyone else experienced this & what ended up curing it? Thanks.

I had the same issue not too long ago and after speaking to Aspen (who was very helpful and offered to have me send him the speaker on his dime if it was indeed bad even though it was out of warranty) I removed all the screws on the front of the SS3 and popped out the main center woofer speaker and there was a metal cap thingy that had broken loose from inside somewhere and stuck itself to the big magnet - I showed Aspen and he said it doesn't have any effect on anything and if I wanted to I could just glue it back on to where it came off, which I did and everything has been fine ever since ... It probably just came off when I was transporting it back and forth to gigs ... here's a couple pics of the part and maybe it's the same for you:

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1939_1024.jpg

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1940_1024.jpg

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1941_1024.jpg

Hope that helps ...

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

Played a luncheon today at a hospital. Low volume, stuck in the corner of a nondescript room - exactly the type of gig I bought the SSv3 for, and it was perfect.

The SS3 looks lonely and forlorn in that pic.

thats exactly what I thought when I saw this pic. i kinda felt sorry for the lil guy ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I realize Synthaholic was happy with the sound at the gig but with all the talk of not enough bass I'm assuming there was no corner on the other side of the keyboard to park the SS3. Or why he didn't at least angle it up for some presence?

Here for the gear.

I do mostly small to medium venues. Most of my gigs are solo using BIAB or iRealPro for bass and drums. The SSV3 has more than enough bass for me. I play jazz and standards. My PX5s sounds great through the SSV3.
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

You should have seen ME! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/yikes.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I realize Synthaholic was happy with the sound at the gig but with all the talk of not enough bass I'm assuming there was no corner on the other side of the keyboard to park the SS3. Or why he didn't at least angle it up for some presence?

There was plenty of bass for that background music gig.

I'm trying to keep the SSv3 at least 5 feet away from me.

I find that I have to have the SSv3 to my right so that I hear some of the 6.5" speaker.

I had the same issue not too long ago and after speaking to Aspen (who was very helpful and offered to have me send him the speaker on his dime if it was indeed bad even though it was out of warranty) I removed all the screws on the front of the SS3 and popped out the main center woofer speaker and there was a metal cap thingy that had broken loose from inside somewhere and stuck itself to the big magnet - I showed Aspen and he said it doesn't have any effect on anything and if I wanted to I could just glue it back on to where it came off, which I did and everything has been fine ever since ... It probably just came off when I was transporting it back and forth to gigs ... here's a couple pics of the part and maybe it's the same for you:

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1939_1024.jpg

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1940_1024.jpg

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/thumb_IMG_1941_1024.jpg

Hope that helps ...

I just took off the grill & tightened the speaker screws. It still rattled. I then removed the speaker & there was no small cap like in the pics. I held it away from the cabinet & the rattling was gone (relief that the speaker isn't blown). I remounted it & the rattle is still gone. If I had to come up with some wild theory....I have no idea if I put the speaker back in the same orientation as before. It could be that the wires to the speaker were rattling against the cabinet & putting it back in a different position moved the wires to where they aren't touching. Whatever it is, I'll take it!

I got my Spacestation last week. I do feel that I need a sub. The Behringer B1200 seems to be an overkill for me. I was looking at the Mackie MR10Smk3. Mostly I play in a small place upto 100 people. Has any used the MR10Smk3 with the Spacestation?

Thanks

I got my Spacestation last week. I do feel that I need a sub. The Behringer B1200 seems to be an overkill for me. I was looking at the Mackie MR10Smk3. Mostly I play in a small place upto 100 people. Has any used the MR10Smk3 with the Spacestation?

Thanks

That's a studio sub -- not sure how well it will work in a live application.

Have you checked out the Seismic Audio Really Mini Tremor? It's only mono, so it has to be connected post-SS3, from the SS3's sub output. I'm pretty happy with it -- it's just enough, and would probably be perfect for where you play. The place I was gigging at was similar in size, and this combination did the job nicely.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/powered-10-inch-subwoofer-cabinet/p/Really-Mini-Tremor

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Thanks

This looks nice!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/112MBX

Gallien-Krueger 112MBX 1x12" 100-Watt Micro Cabinet

$299

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/112MBX-large.jpg

Oops! That one is passive. Sorry.

The GK powered ones are on this page:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c579--Bass_Guitar_Combo_Amps

There are a lot of good choices for low power, lightweight bass amps.

Have you checked out the Seismic Audio Really Mini Tremor? It's only mono, so it has to be connected post-SS3, from the SS3's sub output. I'm pretty happy with it -- it's just enough, and would probably be perfect for where you play. The place I was gigging at was similar in size, and this combination did the job nicely.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/powered-10-inch-subwoofer-cabinet/p/Really-Mini-Tremor

An enthusiastic +1. I was an early (if not 1st) adopter of the B1200, but I only use it outside now. Very rarely. The Mini Tremor is a perfect match for 95% of what I do. Small, light, and easy.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Thank you all for your replies. I will probably go with the Mini. I guess I really don't need the fancy and probably weak studio sub anyway. I like its flexible connections, though.

I ran another test just now and compared the SS3 with a Roland stereo amp. The Roland sounded so "2 dimensional." Talk about flat! When I switched back to the SS3, all of a sudden there was a large acoustric expanse. It was as if the instruments had enough space between them, not croweded That was pretty pleasing.

Man, it's hard to go backmy SS3 has developed a terrible distortion--could be a blown speaker, could be electronic. I'm talking with Aspen about it but at the moment I have to go back to using my little Fender Passport, which I always thought sounded good. Last night was like someone threw water in my face--I couldn't find the right place to put both speakers so that the band, the audience and I could all hear my SK1 perfectly. In the end, I had little doubt that it sounded good to the audience; I think the band could hear me ok, at least one speaker's worth. But I kept feeling like I had to crank it up louder to get the satisfying experience of really hearing what I was playing. I'm so spoiled by having the SS3 behind me, and everyone hearing me well.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Man, it's hard to go backmy SS3 has developed a terrible distortion--could be a blown speaker, could be electronic. I'm talking with Aspen about it but at the moment I have to go back to using my little Fender Passport, which I always thought sounded good. Last night was like someone threw water in my face--I couldn't find the right place to put both speakers so that the band, the audience and I could all hear my SK1 perfectly. In the end, I had little doubt that it sounded good to the audience; I think the band could hear me ok, at least one speaker's worth. But I kept feeling like I had to crank it up louder to get the satisfying experience of really hearing what I was playing. I'm so spoiled by having the SS3 behind me, and everyone hearing me well.

Try taking the speaker out. Hopefully the problem will be one that either ChrisDespo or myself went through & it will work out.