Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

The Ebtech didn't solve the noise in my SSv3, which is higher frequency and increases with volume in the side speaker. I suspect the source is a dimmer switch, and not a ground issue. But it's just audible in the SSv3, none of the other amps/speakers.
Does the noise vary with the dimming level?

The Ebtech didn't solve the noise in my SSv3, which is higher frequency and increases with volume in the side speaker. I suspect the source is a dimmer switch, and not a ground issue. But it's just audible in the SSv3, none of the other amps/speakers.
Does the noise vary with the dimming level?

Did you try changing your instrument cables? A bad 20' cable caused a similar hum with my SS.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I hear the noise in the speaker with no cable attached. I'll check to see if I hear any change with the dimmer activated. But the noise is present with the dimmer off.

I have the hum also, but only at home. I live in a condo and there are dimmers all over. I've had the SS for 7 months now and have experienced no hum at any of my gigs. Ray

PS. I can't hear the hum when I play any of my keyboards.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Are you guys using surge protectors or any power conditioners at all? I use one and the dimmers in my house cause no noise at all. Good luck.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I hear the noise in the speaker with no cable attached. I'll check to see if I hear any change with the dimmer activated. But the noise is present with the dimmer off.

This sounds more like AC noise, which is is very common in home environments. The newer generation flat screen TVs and modern Class D audio amps seem to be more sensitive to this EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and RF (radio Frequency) noise that quite often comes in on the AC line (SS3 had 4 Class D amps).

But the good news is there are a bunch of low cost EMI and RF "noise filters" for sale CHEAP at the mega stores like Best Buy. Here's a few suggestions:

At $30, Best Buy sells this Rocketfish 8 outlet power surge strip w/ 58dB EMI/RFI noise filtering: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-8-outlet-surge-protector-black/5709663.p?id=1218686499486&skuId=5709663

Or the also have q $10 Rocketfish 2 outlet (on sale now) w/43dB noise filtering": http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-2-outlet-flat-panel-surge-protector/1879296.p?id=1218299151670&skuId=1879296

Best Buy has several in between, I just picked up a new model Rocketfish 4 outlet w/ 47 dB filtering for $20.

Many homes have "add on" hum; a basement or addition taken off the same panel (or worse a new panel with little or no grounding (NOTE: water pipe grounding is NOT perfect!)

So when outlets have a poor ground potential, they are like antennas for EMI and RF fields. So these different doggy ground potentials with stray currents can/will cause hum in Class D switching amps (different that most SS amps which are less sensitive to these higher frequency noises).

So AC ground noise in the home wiring have popped up from time to time...but these seem to be room specific (hums in the basement add on, but not in the living room). So to test this out, try it in different rooms and see if it hums the same.

The SS3 has 4 Class D (HF switching circuitry) amps and extended FR too, so these designs are more sensitive than your average audio amp.

Best thing is to try the amp out at a rehearsal hall or on the gig where the wiring meets commercial codes and tends to be more stable.

If the SS3 still hums or has AC hash noise, and the AC filters I mentioned do not reduce it...then we'll talk about an advance replacement directly from me (it's just easier and much faster that way. Please PM me if the hum reducers and such don't help. \I'll take care of you, the SS3 is not a noisey amp...and you should be 100% happy (or I will be 100% miserable!)

FYI, we have very low return rate, under 1%. But when we do get an amp back, about half the time they are are quiet and function perfectly normal. I check these out and usually resell them at a discount as a "refurbished" amp for, and have had zero complaints about any of those.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

I've tried the SSv3 through several different power strips, the EBtech and currently use a Tripp Lite ECO850LCD. I've run it off the battery side and the power stablizer side. It reduced the noise, but it did not go away. And it's mid-range noise, not hum, audible at three feet or so.

My point in the original post was that there isn't a silver bullet that solves all electrical interference. But it's no big deal to pick up all of the strips suggested and keep the one that works.

This may be a little like Clark Griswold's Christmas lights. Maybe someone will turn something off and my noise goes away.

Hammond A3 . Leslie 3300w . MODX

I've tried the SSv3 through several different power strips, the EBtech and currently use a Tripp Lite ECO850LCD. I've run it off the battery side and the power stablizer side. It reduced the noise, but it did not go away. And it's mid-range noise, not hum, audible at three feet or so.

This may be a little like Clark Griswold's Christmas lights. Maybe someone will turn something off and my noise goes away.

John still don't know if this is just happening at your home, or does it make noise elsewhere...like on a gig?

Regardless, I want to help. So let's not wait for Christmas....let's make you happy right now. I have just PM you with an action plan.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Update. I changed out the extension cord I was running to the Tripp Lite and you have to stick your ear right up to SSv3 to hear any noise. Quite acceptable. Now using it primarily for Extra Voices on the Sk2 and it is really nice, as you all know.

Hammond A3 . Leslie 3300w . MODX

It's getting kind of redundant I know but here's the latest with me. I got a call from a bassist I hadn't heard from in about 4 years. Went over to his house for a rehearsal to resurrect some fairly complex jazz funk we used to do. I'm sitting in his small den/music room with a drum kit, an upright piano and lots of clutter. The SS is just a foot or so behind me a few inches out from the wall and maybe a foot from the bottom of the upright against the other wall and I'm using my SK1. After the first run through of the first tune he asks what amp is that and begins to gush about how killer it sounds with the organ. Then we did an acoustic piano tune and he said the grand piano patch sounded like the piano was in the room. He was very impressed.

On the gig we were in a typical cramped space in the corner of a restaurant and I was sitting next to a 4X4 foot table jammed in the corner that we were allowed use so I had the SS sitting on a small riser under the table and in the corner. Talk about projecting, the amp never sounded so good and the guitarist who I had not met before said the same thing. Several tunes I used the Rhodes patch and turned on the stereo tremolo effect and wow, with the amp in the corner and under a table it sounded like we were completely surrounded by that Rhodes. On the first break he's checking it out, asking me who CPS was and saying how killer it sounded. As soon as I said Aspen's the guy who had Groove Tubes he knew exactly who he is. That's obviously a big deal with guitarists.

It's now been 10 months since I got it and I haven't had a a gig yet where I wished I was using something else. I've now had 3 big band gigs, a bunch of classic rock gigs and a few jazz gigs and this thing is literally the best stage amp I've ever had and second place isn't even close.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Sorry, we can't stop posting to this thread until we break the record of 4079 for the 2007-2008 NFL thread.
In that case, here's another gig story... Fri. night I played a trio performance in a barn for about 100 people. A musician sitting up front said it sounded perfect, but he "doubts it's loud enough for the back of the room." Later, he walked to the back and said it sounded "exactly the same" back there. And someone outside in a gazebo over 100 ft. away from the barn said it sounded great out there.

This system was like voodoo for the listeners.

Guys, as we approach page 133, 600,000 views, and 4,000 posts...many of these gig reports...I am BLOWN AWAY and so grateful to ALL of you for your sharing and participation in this epic thread for one small amp. I have never been a part of something like this, and can't imagine anything will ever top this for me.

It's hard to believe this amp has only been in the market for about 10 months (and most of those months it was back ordered and in short supply). Again, I am humbled and so grateful to the hundreds of musicians who bought a CPS Spacestation v.3 based solely on the many rave reviews posted here, and on a few other internet sites.

The Spacestation v.3 has been an amazing success story, especially when you consider nearly all our sales have been sight unseen (or maybe sound unheard), but based on a leap of faith alone born out a desire for a truly game changing amp that could produce a 3D stereo image in a live venue....and not break your back, or your bank.

We did no advertising, paid no rock stars for their endorsements, and decided to go without any brick & Mortar stores carrying it for an in store demonstration. So, the only way to hear one was to buy one!

But that may change, starting this next week.

I have often regretted musicians have not been able to hear CPS before they risk their money on this crazy little amp. So lately I have been working on a solution. I am going to roll this idea out next week, but I thought I'd give you guys a first peek; I call it the "CPS Rental Rebate Program. And, I'd appreciate your thought and comments...maybe I am crazy. (no, not maybe!)

The concept is simple; rent one from a participating rental house in your area for a gig or a rehearsal and I'll rebate that expense (up to $50) on a purchase of a SS3 from our website at Aspen & Associates.

We have started this program with just a few key rental companies in Southern and Central California, and also another in Nashville. They each now have a SS3 in stock and are ready to rent you one to try CPS out on your next gig or rehearsal.

(NOTE: We want to add more rental rebate partners. So if you have a favorite backline rental company in your area, please be sure to have them give me a call and I'll them set up....there is no up front investment for them to participate, I am loaning them an SS3 amp on a 90 day rotating loaner program.)

My very first participating rental companies are:

SST - Synthesizer Systems Tech

(Michael Boddickers world reknown keyboard rental company)

10907 Magnolia Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91601

Phone:(818) 907-7780

Speeda Sound

4740 N Sonora Ln, Fresno, CA 93722

Phone:(559) 275-7197

Backline Nashville

Contact Mark Thompson

2127 Utopia Ave, Nashville, TN 37211

Phone:(615) 210-2120

Because each participating rental partner has their own rates and terms, which we do not want to circumvent, we can not set a precise rental rate for this program.

For example;

Backline Nashville will rent a SS3 for $25 per day, then offer 50% rate for day 2 and/or $75 for a whole week.

Speeda Sound in Fresno will rent theirs for $50 a day which is what they charge for an equivalent Roland KB amp.

SST will charge $35 per day.

So $50 could cover one day, or several just depending on their rental rate. As we add more cities (hopefully soon!), the rates will vary but we are pretty sure our $50 rebate will cover you for one gig or rehearsal no matter where you live.

So if/when you rent a SS3, then later decide to buy one from us, just save that receipt and we will apply that to your purchase (up to $50).

Aspen, I think that's a great idea on many levels. Hearing is believing. And not everyone will buy one unheard, even with Sweetwater's liberal return privileges.

The only thought is that most of us had a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to place it properly, dial it in, use good cables, etc. If someone rents one to take home and evaluate, great. But in the heat of a gig, not the best time to learn a new piece of equipment.

I still have occasional trouble dialing mine in, as I'm used to calibrating levels with standard amplification gear. Tonight was no exception. For the first set, I thought it sounded good to me, but it turns out I was blasting everyone else. The band leader came over at the break and said "turn that little monster down, will you?" Oooops. He still can't believe how much sound it pumps out.

For one gig, I used longer cables and placed the amp at the other side of the stage so I could hear what everyone else was hearing. OMG, distance matters. I wish I could do that all the time.

BTW, I lost one of the knobs on the back. The amp is getting a ton of hard use. No biggie, but now I'd like to find a replacement.

Any pointers?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The band leader came over at the break and said "turn that little monster down, will you?" Oooops. He still can't believe how much sound it pumps out.

For one gig, I used longer cables and placed the amp at the other side of the stage so I could hear what everyone else was hearing. OMG, distance matters. I wish I could do that all the time.

BTW, I lost one of the knobs on the back. The amp is getting a ton of hard use. No biggie, but now I'd like to find a replacement.

Any pointers?

CP, yes, being the first on your block with color TV creates "gear envy". Better them, than you!

And with regard to CPS imaging, yes...it's true; as the old saying goes; distance makes the heart grow fonder. And so it is with CPS. The SS3 is deceptively "big", which is a positive when you consider YOU are the entertainer, and THEY are the audience.

When you placed it away from you on that gig, that was an optimum position to judge your mix. Again, I say; you have a light bulb, and everyone else is using flashlights. It may take months (years ?) until everyone else in the band is mutually "enlightened?, as you have become. But don't let that worry you too much, they will come around (NOTE: they already say they can finally hear you like never before, which will only make them better musicians too!)

So this is a good thing, but takes some adjustment until the rest of the band catches up to you. "Be patient grasshopper; wax on, wax off".

Regarding loss of limb (knob)...rest assured...a PM to me here w/ your direct address will result in a new knob in your mailbox before the week is over...along with a surprise for your birthday, whenever that is. FYI, mine is tomorrow...and I am a great believer in giving others a gift on your birthday, heck, who would have believed I'd make it to 67 and have a hit product on my hands!

You guys on this thread are the best present a guy could ever have. So THANK YOU (again) CP for your candor on this thread, for 133 pages and for joining the CPS family. Your support, and that of your many colleges here, has not gone noticed, thank you again....from the bottom of my heart!

Great idea about the rental program. You might try Long & McQuade in Toronto (where I reside). I have SSv3 and live down the street from them if they want to hear it first.

Thanks, can you find me the right guy to speak with? I would love to get L&M on board for Canada, I was friends with Jack Long in the old days, and spent more than a few days training in their shops...it's a great company.

Great idea about the rental program. You might try Long & McQuade in Toronto (where I reside). I have SSv3 and live down the street from them if they want to hear it first.

Thanks, can you find me the right guy to speak with? I would love to get L&M on board for Canada, I was friends with Jack Long in the old days, and spent more than a few days training in their shops...it's a great company.

I live in Calgary and know a number of people at the main Long & McQuade store here. I'd be willing to demonstrate the SSv3 to them locally if that would help. I could get you in touch with the store manager if that would help - because they're a national chain I don't know how much sway he would have regarding buying, etc.. Regardless, PM me if I can help.

Jamie

Happy Cake Day My Friend!!! :cheers: (water,root beer, etc)

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Happy Birthday Aspen! You've made a lot of my Birthdays happy...Thanks!

Tim

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Mr Aspen,

I am 63 years young, I have played music since I was 8 years old.

I have opened up for country stars in various venues

backed up some soul artists

played for mardi gras tableus, and real dives and everything in between

but you know whats on my bucket list??

I would love to meet you in person and hang with you for a while, it may never happen, but to meet the man in person that changed my audio sensation and made playing a joy again by his one product, well that's my nirvana

who knows maybe one trade show or trip we may meet, till then good luck with your lifes journey

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage