Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inxs. Don't change

Rockitman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Shabooh Shoobah (early 80's), I believe Andrew Farriss was using Juno 60, Prophet 5 and DX7, at least in his live rig.

I'm guessing the opening sound with the slow filter sweep is either the Roland or Prophet, my first guess would be the Juno.

In the studio, I thought he started using PPG, and eventually started touring an Emulator. But that sound on the studio recording sounds like analog with gently swept filter over a standard pad.

I had a hard time replicating that patch. Kind of a nasally, synthy, sweepy, French horny thing. Failed miserably until I got my Jupiter 80....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

This just doesn't strike me as a tough sound to get. I don't understand what part of it is difficult. Saw, filter sweep, done. Am I missing something? Very, very, very basic.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used to play it with a patch I created on my JX3P in the day and was often told (by drunk club patrons) how much we sounded like the record. :)

A lot of clicks and pops?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

In the video clip he appears to play a different synth. Could be only for the clip of course, I don't know. I also don't recognize the synth. Can be seen at the beginning and more clearly at 2:28.

[video:youtube]

Rudy

I feel like I've improved on that sound when I've played that song (not that I'm a better player or more inspired sound designer or anything)...but I've preferred more of an epic fat layered sound for that part especially if that opens a set (it's great for that). Usually I'll have a low rumble note going as well.

Then again I've never been a "play it like the original" guy either when it comes to sounds or parts unless I consider it a "signature part" that everyone knows.

I put two patches together for this one. One is a fast attacked synth lead and the other is a synth pad on my Kronos. It works pretty well. The two attacks make it imo.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• 3 years later...
In 1984 I was in a band that opened with this every night at our five night a week gigs. I think I mainly played it on a Jupiter 6 at the time. Have been playing the song again recently and noticed some parts I didn't get the first time around. There is a sustaining A with a vocal-like sound that seems to be there through the entire intro. The second time through the opening theme it is doubled an octave lower and maintains this through the rest of the intro. These days I use a Casio WK-3800 holding the vocal sound with the sustain pedal. I play the main theme on a Juno 60 with a bit of filter sweep. On the recording much of the Synth part sounds like it may have been done on a monoSynth.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Anyone know where I can download a sound patch for this that would be compatible for a sound module.

I don't know, but you are much more likely to get a response if you state which synth or module you have.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I guess I'm a "good-enough"-er....lol

I've played this on a couple different keyboards and just dialed up a nice poly synth/synth strings patch...nobody ever complained, sounded great IMO and it rocked.

Not knocking anyone who tries to get patches exact, but if there's one person in the audience who cares, he's a musician from another band sitting in the back by himself, not one of the people hopefully out dancing and having fun :) Actually my biggest problem with this tune is getting my band to play it, it's such a great set-starter IMO....

Not sure i agree, Stokes - there is definitely a law of diminishing returns on degrees of exactness. But general folk respond to authentic sound replication in covers imo. I always get some compliment or other from someone in the audience that noticed how much i sound exactly like the record. Now, they dont know that im not exact - im just really close.

as to OP - I played this song back in the 80s, i recall the main signature line was just a fairly simple slightly detuned saw - standard synth string sound. One of the easier ones to replicate.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

For those people that don't pay attention to these things....

ZOMBIE THREAD!

This is 4 years old, and was resurrected by our new 1-post member providing way too little information for anyone to help him properly, which Dave and I are having some fun with.

As you were.

Well, since it's been raised from the dead, it's timely, as I'm re-learning this (on guitar) for a band for a gig next weekend.

Here's a question though. In the verses, there's a sound that sounds "synth like" but I believe it's guitar.

"I'm standing here, on the ground" and after the word ground (or similar spots in each verse) there's a little line that walks down from A to F#, then, it sort of sometimes gets to an F# an octave higher, but a lot of times right before it goes to "see no evil" there's this slide up from B to C# pretty noticeble-y-er, grammer. Anyhoo. It's pretty obvious.

I think that's guitar because it sounds like a slide, not a pitch-bend or other portamento effect.

What say you?

Well, since it's been raised from the dead, it's timely, as I'm re-learning this (on guitar) for a band for a gig next weekend.

Here's a question though. In the verses, there's a sound that sounds "synth like" but I believe it's guitar.

"I'm standing here, on the ground" and after the word ground (or similar spots in each verse) there's a little line that walks down from A to F#, then, it sort of sometimes gets to an F# an octave higher, but a lot of times right before it goes to "see no evil" there's this slide up from B to C# pretty noticeble-y-er, grammer. Anyhoo. It's pretty obvious.

I think that's guitar because it sounds like a slide, not a pitch-bend or other portamento effect.

What say you?

I've always thought it was a synth but it's commonly played by a guitarist from the versions I've seen.

As an aside, I do an intermittent podcast and interviewed a friend of mine who was involved in the recording of three INXS albums including The Swing and Listen Like Thieves. He had some brilliant INXS anecdotes etc: LINK

Yeah, the original is definitely an SH-7 duophonic synth. They used that back in the day. Also in that album is a Juno-60 and Prophet-5.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Hi All,

I reached out to Andrew Farriss from INXS who writes:

Ive checked the INXS masters and according to ancient history the Synths I used on Dont Change were :

The Roland Sh-7 plus the Juno 60 and my Prophet 5. and I fortunately still have / use all 3 of these keyboards.

And there you have it!

Cheers.

Jon Regen

Editor

KEYBOARD

That is damn cool - though even Farriss is going to respond to the Editor of Keyboard ;)

Hi All,

I reached out to Andrew Farriss from INXS who writes:

Ive checked the INXS masters and according to ancient history the Synths I used on Dont Change were :

The Roland Sh-7 plus the Juno 60 and my Prophet 5. and I fortunately still have / use all 3 of these keyboards.

And there you have it!

Cheers.

Jon Regen

Editor

KEYBOARD

Archived