Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

#1 Pop Hit in the world now ("Happy" - Pharrell Williams)

Jazz+

For pop I think this stuff is cool. Interesting thread I'm diggin it, thanks for the vids. I really like Tightrope and Get Lucky. If I was in a modern dance band I'd do those two in a heartbeat. I agree Happy is bubblegum'ish but hey, they're happy and I would rather my kids listen to this than rap about bitches and ho's.

Bob

Can't argue with that.

My kid actually digs "Happy" - but only in small doses. I recently turned him on to early Radiohead - he really likes somber, depressing stuff - and he became an instant fan.

I have hope for the future... :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I am gonna play 'The Jody Grind' for the Verses (not 'In Crowd' or 'Compared To What') and use the 'Happy' Chorus and Bridge

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Was driving around SoCal yesterday, pulled up 94.7 The Wave and within a minute I'm Happy. It sounded pretty good on the radio actually. I was listening to the vocal harmonies, someone knows what they're doing with that.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Actually I am gonna play 'The Jody Grind' for the Verses (not 'In Crowd' or 'Compared To What') and use the 'Happy' Chorus and Bridge

With the right seque/transition, play all of them as a remix/mash-up. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Pharrell Williams is incredibly successful(income wise at least) , only 41 y.o and already worth $80 MILLION net they reckon.

Brett

Yep. As a music producer (1/2 of The Neptunes production team), Pharrell has been cranking out records for quite some time. He's made a considerable bag of money prior to making the world "Happy" as a solo artist. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 months later...
it inspires an urge to turn the station in me. i accept i'm in the minority, not my first time flying solo on the taste train.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Just watched the video and it is the first time I have heard it from beginning to end. Never listen to radio but a lot of local TV commercials use parts of the song.

I expect to hear a lot of bands covering it badly with too much guitar and not enough backing harmonies.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Damn, Philip. DAMN.

Ditto. That remix is sick. Close this thread and shut the front the door. :laugh::cool:

PD

• 3 weeks later...
another take from Al.

Tacky

I love that building.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Now learning the song that knocked Happy off the #1 spot.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Now learning the song that knocked Happy off the #1 spot.

[video:youtube]

I keep getting requests for this. Damn you, John Legend.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived