Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Sub 37 Tribute

[

They are still available --- my wife just ordered one for me.

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/dancing/smileys-dancing-176278.gif

Congrats !!! Wow, what a cool wife !!!

Now, does she have a sister who´s single? :drool:

Well, kinda. I mean her sister is adopted so they really are nothing alike, but if you like what you see I can arrange a date:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Iu0cg9oIfo8/SOeGFMsEmvI/AAAAAAAAA_4/G-850p1TQXQ/s400/you-cant-afford-me.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Picked up a used Sub Phatty not long ago and I really like it.

The only "negatives" IMO are a bit too stable oscillators and the pink noise which is unusable to me. Anyone knows if it´s possible to mod pink noise to white?

No AFAIK, because it's analog.

One option is to use digital samples and filters to dial in a precise "color of noise" to go into the audio input of a Moog. White, pink, blue, it's up to you.

For the problem of "stable" oscillators, a very low volume of high-pass-filtered white noise going into the pitch CV does a wonderful job of making modern oscillators more jittery and "vintage." Doesn't create the unavoidable drift of say 901 modules, ... but adds a degree of interest. Add a touch of detuning, and you have two-thirds of the character. Still not quite there but closer. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my Sub 37 for a couple weeks and thought I would chime in with some random thoughts.

First of all, the fun factor on this unit is beyond anything I've purchased recently, maybe the most fun I've had since I bought a 59' C3 when I was in high school. When I turn on my rig now, it's the first thing I reach for.

It hits a sweet spot for me:

- knobs for almost everything

- nice pressure-sensitive keyboard

- good-sounding basic elements (oscillators, filter)

- enough modulation capabilities to keep the sound moving

- logical panel layout

In short, it has the right mix of immediacy and complexity. Unlike some synths, it is not a chore to create a patch that sounds good.

Also it feels like something I'll keep forever. For example: I love my MOXF; it is light weight and gives me access to ton of good sounds in a lightweight package. Great tool for playing covers. But in a few years, I will buy a unit that is a better sounding, cheaper, lighter version of the same thing. The sub 37 is an entirely different experience; I think I can settle down with this one :-)

One thing I appreciate a lot more than I anticipated: the paraphonic duo mode. I viewed it as a poor man's polyphony, but now see it more as a distinctive feature of a monophonic synth. The fact that it doesn't re-trigger the envelopes gives it a unique character that wouldn't be the same with a pure duophonic synth.

My only (reasonable) wish at this point is a firmware update that will show current parameter values on the screen by pressing a shift button and adjusting the parameter you are interested in.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I've already said it, and i say it again: With a third audio oscillator and exactly the same other features, for about $2000, this thing could be the Voyager Destroyer. But even as it is, my ears tell me that it's the best Moog of the modern era. The ideal balance between 'old' and 'new' sound. I think of it as a Source for the modern times - with a MUCH better panel.

*If* I had some money to spend, I would have pre-ordered it already..

I own one and what Brother Marino said is the truth--especially with some complementary moogerfoogers. The future is here. In fact sold my Voyager once I scored this synth.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I own one and what Brother Marino said is the truth--especially with some complementary moogerfoogers. The future is here. In fact sold my Voyager once I scored this synth.

Steve: what moogerfoogers are you using? At this point, I don't really have room for more keyboards and no money budgeted...but I need to steer my next bout of GAS towards something that doesn't take up much room :cool:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

• 2 years later...

CDM takes a close look at the new Sub 37:

"Heres a closer look at Moogs new Subsequent 37

The folks at Moog are nothing if not persistently obsessive. Theyve upgraded the original Sub 37 for improved sound and playability. Meet the Subsequent 37.

Basically, the Subsequent 37 isnt a new synth it is a Sub 37, only what Moog say is a better Sub 37. (And someone must have given themselves a well-deserved pat on the back when they thought of the name.) So, its the same two-note paraphonic (erm, duophonic actually, lets not get into that debate) two-note synth that you know from before.

Only now it sounds better, and you get some extras.

Whats updated:

Link to article and photos.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 8 months later...

The Subsequent 37 is marked down by $300, until tomorrow (maybe Monday, depending on time zone), as a short-term special, at all vendors (Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc.).

The CV edition, and Sub37 Tribute, appear to not be part of this sale. As far as I can tell, the only difference of the CV vs. the regular Subsequent 37 is that it has a metal chassis -- I think the regular edition has the same CV ins/outs. And a Sub37 can be retrofitted/upgraded to a Subsequent 37.

This is just posted for those who might be interested; I decided against the Subsequent 37 after comparing to my Voyager today (GC had one in stock). The stuff that it can do that the Voyager can't, doesn't appeal to me, and I prefer the smoother sound and clearer separation of oscillators as it sits better with other sounds in a mix (to my ears).

As for an unresolved earlier question, the cases are the same as for the Little Phatty. The ATA road case is only $50 to $70 more than the molded plastic case. Based on my experience with the Voyager's molded plastic case (not calibrated very well in terms of the pieces securing without bulges or gaps), I'd probably recommend the ATA case.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Has anyone done the Sub 37 -> Subsequent 37 upgrade? Is it worth the $350?

www.stickmanor.com

Archived