Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Sub 37 Tribute

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really tempted to go for it, my last hardware synth I owned was in 2000, everything since then has been software. But I don't know if I want to go the hardware route again. An Animoog on an iPad sounds pretty nice, so I'm not sure $1500 for a 2 note analog is worth it. It's also a design limitation for what I do. I'm into space music/ambient pads, a non-polyphonic Moog sound is more for bass lines and leads for dance music.

It sounds great, it's fun to play, it gets many different sounds, it can get weird, it's fat and glorious in a way that only analog can be, and it's not stupid expensive. I love spacey, ambient stuff, and to me, this is a great keyboard.

I'm into space music/ambient pads, a non-polyphonic Moog sound is more for bass lines and leads for dance music.

Seriously? That's like saying a trumpet is more for playing taps at military funerals.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

GAS. It's like a minimoog on steroids, only really good steroids with a high street value. The independent modulation sections are the thing that does it for me, and that you can loop the envelopes on the filter and the amp envelope independently. I feel like this is a great step forward, and an excellent follow-up to the Sub Phatty (which I also really like, even if all it ever did was synthesize drum sounds). I doubt I'll be buying either one any time soon, but if I had the cash and space I wouldn't hesitate.

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

GAS, though I'm waiting on the non-Tribute (Performer?) edition. :)

What do you feel the difference would be? Is it mostly economical? What do you think the difference would be in price? Just curious, thanks!

I'm into space music/ambient pads, a non-polyphonic Moog sound is more for bass lines and leads for dance music.

Seriously? That's like saying a trumpet is more for playing taps at military funerals.

Yes, seriously. Try playing 4+ note chords on it and let me know how you do. Your example reminds me of the trumpet vs monophonic synth analogy that we've heard a thousand times before. Some instruments are just more appropriate for certain circumstances. You wouldn't play taps on a kazoo at a military funeral, would you?

Right. But it's useful for far more than bass lines and leads for dance music, in my opinion.

I just thought I'd point out that it's really useful for these ever-evolving, complex sounds and sweeps and melody lines that are not dance-music-like and can be used for pads and cool textures.

GAS, though I'm waiting on the non-Tribute (Performer?) edition. :)

What do you feel the difference would be? Is it mostly economical? What do you think the difference would be in price? Just curious, thanks!

Well, the Little Phatty was originally introduced as a Tribute edition, with wood sides and a signature plate. The Stage edition was released later without the wood sides and signature for $100 less. Later, the Stage II edition was released with updates over the previous two versions.

So yes, I don't mind waiting for a Sub 37 Stage edition to save some money, maybe even by then there will be updates/upgrades available.

Right. But it's useful for far more than bass lines and leads for dance music, in my opinion.

I use those as examples of what many people seem to use monophonic synths for today. Dance-oriented genres (hip-hop, rap, dubstep, etc.). Not many people still into Emerson/Wakeman prog like there used to be ;-)

I just thought I'd point out that it's really useful for these ever-evolving, complex sounds and sweeps and melody lines that are not dance-music-like and can be used for pads and cool textures.

Having played with pads and other ambience type patches on the Voyager, I agree. Some of these patches have 2 or 3 oscillators tuned to different pitches to create chords. Others have LFO-driven interval ostinatos or even arpeggios. BTW, I recently read that Lyle Mays may have used multitracking to get some of his amazing Oberheim pads.

Of course, adding delay and reverb help tool.

I really liked the Sub 37. But I would rather have a Prophet 12. Even at twice the money, it is more than twice the synth.

Like Dave Smith says, there are some things that analog oscillators just cannot pull off.

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Well, I want both (P12 and Sub37), but figure the Sub37 may go fast and then be unavailable. Hoping for more info soon on whether there's a pre-order limit and then it's gone, sort of like the Taurus pedals.

I use mono synths for sound effects more than anything else, as that's where I'm most likely to want to take advantage of the extra features like the distortion, the sub o/c, and the step sequencer.

This could be awkward to find a case for, unless Moog ends up making or commissioning one for it.

Isn't this the third Sub37 thread already? Did people get bored of the previous ones?

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I can't say I've tried it, but I don't like it more than say a Sub Phatty (what a name) with more keyboard options (why not) some additional signal path options and some more or less trivial accessories (fine).

I don't fall for the look at all, except it's neat enough. And I didn't like the few sound demos I've heard from the tube: if it were that sort of sound I've heard I wouldn't want 1/2 of the sounds if I'd get them for free. I pretty much felt good about and liked the Sub Phatty demos I've seen (like with H. Deutsch): I'd certainly like that sort of Moog as any synth, of course all the more if the modules would also be patchable.

But here's the thing, considering b*atching about sound is also a matter of taste: I think the Moogs were known for a certain sound (as say opposed to a Access Virus or something else tangential), but more importantly: it will normally never turn into much of an ugly sound that would potentially be harmful to listeners. That doesn't come automatically from using analog parts: that's complicated. Also, making certain classes of wave-forms (with for me measurable qualities) is hard, and desirable, and IMO probably missing from this new one.

Also the latest Theremin demos make me think there are loud and ugly mid-range sound components I find not acceptable, if I were a designer or manager at Moog.

Just my impression, end of complaint!

Theo V.

Also the latest Theremin demos make me think there are loud and ugly mid-range sound components I find not acceptable, if I were a designer or manager at Moog.

Just my impression, end of complaint!

Theo V.

Really... Who would use a Theremin? (ducking from Geek Revolt!)

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Yes, seriously. Try playing 4+ note chords on it and let me know how you do.

That's the beauty of multi-tracking. See: Switched on Bach. Or Synergy.

Also, though, even for lead lines... why just for dance music? All kinds of music have lead or monophonic synth lines... even space music.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also, though, even for lead lines... why just for dance music? All kinds of music have lead or monophonic synth lines... even space music.

I don't know. Give me a Farfisa any day...

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQhQeDAMU0E