Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought a MicroBrute!

Seannn

At the price, I couldn't resist. Picked it up on Tuesday. It complements the Korg MS-20 Mini that I bought a few months ago, after suffering from a bout of GAS as a result of craving an analog monophonic synthesizer. If you have some extra cash lying around and want to add to your synth trove, the MicroBrute is an absolute must.

The keys are small, but they don't bother me. They seem a bit bigger than a microKORG's (they certainly feel better), but I could be wrong about the size (I've passionately avoided the microKORG, so I couldn't tell you). The synth is built in a strong metal chasis, and the knobs and slides are big, and feel of good quality.

You can read up about the specs. Basically, you have one VCO, as well as a sub-oscillator that, interestingly, you can tune up a fifth. This is an awesome addition to a synth that's already a rascal. The brute factor is ridiculous. This synth sounds HUGE, despite its size! I really couldn't believe my ears. I think I prefer it to the MS-20 Mini for more of the dubstep-sounding bass sounds. There's also a sequencer and mini patch bay that adds to the fun, and could make this synth a great live addition. Haven't tried it with effects yet, but I imagine that some delay and reverb, and even fuzz, would be welcomed.

I'll leave you with the review below by Sonic State. Have any of you picked this up?

[video:youtube]1feSmaeZ1CY

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats...looks like fun.

One question: on the Solid State video at about 0:56, he mentions that the keyboard transmits velocity over MIDI but doesn't respond to it. So I assume he is talking about USB MIDI since I don't see a MIDI out port on the back. More importantly: is it really true that this doesn't respond to MIDI velocity. Seems very odd to me.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

@Sam, that's a great question! I'm not sure, but I'll look into it. You're correct, there's only a MIDI in port, so I'm not entirely sure what he was referring to. Anyone want to share some insight?

~ Sean

From the manual:

"Velocity corresponds to the dynamics of your playing and can modulate multiple parameters. The MicroBrute will send velocity as a USB controller. It does not have internal velocity routing and does not respond to velocity however."

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

From the manual:

"Velocity corresponds to the dynamics of your playing and can modulate multiple parameters. The MicroBrute will send velocity as a USB controller. It does not have internal velocity routing and does not respond to velocity however."

The Minibrute is also like that, from what I recall.

From the manual:

The Minibrute is also like that, from what I recall.

Here is what the minibrute manual says:

"Velocity corresponds to the dynamics of your playing, and similarly to aftertouch, can modulate multiple parameters."

and later...

"The LEDs brightness depends both on the envelope signal amplitude and on the Velocity signal sent by the keyboard (when the Velocity function has been enabled over USB by the MiniBrute Connection software; see the Software section of this manual)."

and later they talk about velocity curves. So it seems like it is more capable in this area. I find the original description on the MicroBrute confusing...they seem to say that velocity "can modulate multiple parameters." and then says "It does not have internal velocity routing". Am I being dense, or are those statements conflicting? In any case, it seems pretty clear that the MicroBrute does not respond to external MIDI(USB or not) velocity.

www.stickmanor.com

• 3 months later...

Sean (or anyone else who has one).. any updates to this now that you've had it a while? I have never had an analog synth... this looks like a cheap and fun way to give analog a try. Also thinking would be a good for my 9-year old son to learn sound synthesis with.

Hey Scott, sorry for the delayed reply! I think this synth would be awesome for your son! :) It's really hands-on as far as synthesizers go. I get a lot more use out of my Korg MS-20 Mini for leads, but the MicroBrute does bass sounds very well, and is quite versatile. In a word, it's fun.

I've been having some tuning issues with mine, but that could just be an issue of letting the oscillators warm up. The micro-keys are a downer, but if you have a MIDI controller lying around with bigger keys, you/your son will be able to use the MicroBrute to its full potential.

Keep me posted!

~ Sean

I messed around with the 'Brute at NAMM and was impressed. A lot of fun. I've got a few analog synths already, including an MS-20, so I don't feel the need to get one, but the price is really good and it sounds really cool.

Thanks for the update, gents. I am a little disappointed learning the Microbrute can't be powered by batteries or USB, although I 100% understand the reasoning behind it (needs a lot of juice to light up the rails).

Going to make the music store circuit this weekend.. hopefully one of them has one in-stock so I can get my hands and ears on it.

I did end up picking one up as well. My buddy at Guitar Center waited until he finally had one in stock he could set aside for me. What sold me on it was being able to play around with it at GC. I've got several hardware synths with sophisticated preset programming capabilities and such, but man it's so much fun to just fire up this little guy and play with the controls - no menu-diving, what you see is what you get...

This guy did a great series of patch demos - note the use of (Belkin, I think) headphone splitter to increase the patching options - I recognize some pop hits from my youth and maybe someone else will recognize the techno/dance tunes he references:

[video:youtube]

That sounds cool. Is the Micro the same synth as the Mini but with bigger keys? I like the look of the new Mini with the sequencer. It has inspired me to get out my old SH-101.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

As Scott says, not they're not exactly the same but have a certain "in the family" kind of sound. The most obvious differences are the physical size and the little patch bay in the Micro version. The next obvious difference is the Micro has a step sequencer but no arpeggiator while the Mini has an arp but no sequencer, unless you get this new limited edition Mini w/ the wood sides (it has a sequencer).

That sounds cool. Is the Micro the same synth as the Mini but with bigger keys? I like the look of the new Mini with the sequencer. It has inspired me to get out my old SH-101.

+1 in that footage the sequencer sounds bad to the bone! * thinking about how some jazz chords would sound on top of it* ;) I gave up 'normal' a long time ago! :laugh:

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I've had really bad GAS for the MiniBrute for a awhile now. I was hoping it would pass, but it just keeps coming back. I'm quite confident I'll give in to temptation soon.
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

• 3 weeks later...
...and I gave in. There's a MiniBrute sitting on my desk right now. :D
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

• 2 years later...
I played a Minibrute at a jam session once. I don't know about velocity but it did have aftertouch. It applied an insanely big vibrato. During my solo I explored that synth, and as I progressed from simple melodies through filter sweeps and vibrato and pitch bend and finally going nuts on the octave switch buttons, it gave my solo a good "narrative arc".

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I've been having some tuning issues with mine

Minibrute owner here. On a Mini, you need to calibrate the oscillator tuning, using two recessed screws on the back.

From the manual, tt looks like MAYBE the Micro has two similar screws near the fine tune knob.

If the tuning is too loose for you, I would suggest contactng Arturia and asking if there is a PDF on oscillator calibration for the Micro -- there was for the Mini, but the info is not in the manual; Arturia had to email the doc to me.

I did NOT find the process obvious, so I'd suggest getting instructions rather than just flailing around with the tuning screws on your own.

Used to be Youtubes on calbrating a Mini -- I didn't find them just now, might still be there.

Hope this helps.

If anyone needs the technote for tuning the mini (same for micro) PM me with email and I can forward the attachment to you.

Tuning is an easy procedure and something you should be able to do.

I said it before on this forum (ad nauseum). The Microbrute is the best bargain there is in analog synth land. It's a blast.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I said it before on this forum (ad nauseum). The Microbrute is the best bargain there is in analog synth land. It's a blast.

I agree. It gets some flack for only being a one oscillator synth, but it does have some tricks that really fatten up the sound, like being able to mix all 3 waveforms and the sub osc.

• 1 year later...
LMAO.. my wife is reading this over my shoulder...

Her: "Seriously? You want ANOTHER keyboard?"

Me: "But I've never had an analog synth!!!"

Her:

This suddenly came to mind...

http://memeshappen.com/media/created/i-bought-a-new-synth-and-she-says-are-you-gonna-sell-the-old-one-meme-40850.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived