Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hadn't seen this Zawinul "Mercy Mercy Mercy" video

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Sample's piano solo! in F

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Nice. :thu:

Two completely different takes on the same song.

As anyone who has participated in the last two or three Richmond area meet ups knows, this has been my song of choice to play with the guys.

Wishing everyone here a fun, and safe, Thanksgiving holiday!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I love Joe Sample but Sample's playing here is really too much. The song doesn't call for it. The first clip is more visceral.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I do think the Zawinul cut needed a couple of percussive accents - one towards the beginning and another one at the end - with someone bitch slapping the annoying German broad who was jabbering over the music.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

On this live date, Kevin Eubanks is joined by pianist James Williams and bassist Robert Hurst playing "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy".

Interesting, I saw Joe play this song several months back at the Blue Note in NYC with a few original members of the Crusaders. They played it much more like the Zawinul version.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I thought that Joe Sample's solo was excellent. What makes Joe Sample great is that he is so soulful and musical. Zawinul's solo seemed somewhat collegiate in comparison.

Surely you are joking?

I don't care for either version's solos. Mostly due to the original, which the club atmosphere with people egging on Joe to "get down," and that the Wurlizter is immortalized, IMO, as the piano of choice when playing that tune. Sample's version needed to use the form of the song. IMO, you shouldn't stray away the form. That's what gives the solo its quality, when you bring in sections.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Surely you are joking?

Joe's whole approach to this song, both in the head melody and the solo, is defined by the use of "2 note with hammer ons". This is also definitional of the "Floyd Cramer" style of Country piano playing.

I'm making no other comparison other than to notice that it's amusing when two musicians so vastly apart in all a other respects, both use so similar a technique in this one case.

Not joking.

Oh I see your pointy now, thanks.

I'm laughing my butt off, I thought the exact same thing Steve. Good grief he's playing this like Floyd Cramer. His Cannonball version solo is not quite so obvious.

Actually, I'm listening to this again and it's really in there isn't it? Quite a bit of Floydisms.

And I loved the Crusaders version.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived