Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I used an X Stand, and lived to tell about it

EscapeRocks

One of my friends has an X-stand which does not have the locking pin, instead, there are teeth that have to mesh together, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PKS20-Double-Braced-Heavy-Keyboard/dp/B002PAW5JW

The Ultimate Support IQ-3000 that I mentioned earlier also has the meshing teeth. Between that and its extremely heavy-duty construction, it's the only X-stand I own that I feel totally comfortable with. I stack my four-space rack and DXR-12 cabinet on it; absolutely solid. But for keyboards it's limited to one - as a second tier isn't made. But for single keyboard gigs it's great.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use an xstand with a strap across the top, and used to actually put one across the bottom too. That way the whole middle could fall apart and the stand would still be standing.

I found the two strap thing a bit over kill, and no longer do both straps - just the one.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

One of my friends has an X-stand which does not have the locking pin, instead, there are teeth that have to mesh together, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PKS20-Double-Braced-Heavy-Keyboard/dp/B002PAW5JW

The Ultimate Support IQ-3000 that I mentioned earlier also has the meshing teeth. Between that and its extremely heavy-duty construction, it's the only X-stand I own that I feel totally comfortable with. I stack my four-space rack and DXR-12 cabinet on it; absolutely solid. But for keyboards it's limited to one - as a second tier isn't made. But for single keyboard gigs it's great.

I actually have a 2nd tier for mine but never use it. I've had it for probably 10 years. The design is awful. One locking screw holds the entire assembly, so when it is loosened, you need 4 hands to hold everything in place. The screw that holds it to the stand is the same way. One screw for attachment, height and angle. Very frustrating. It seems B&H has a picture of the latest model(not available). Mine looked totally different. Great solid, single tier stand, though. Just remember to keep WD40 on the cam teeth so that they mesh properly...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have used a heavily-modified On Stage Heavy Duty Double X 3-tier for about 10 years through light to moderate gigging and practices. I am not concerned about the pin shearing as I am about the failure of the spring that engages it, so I use a safety strap made of 1/2" black nylon rope.

I would like to replace it with something that has a cooler appearance and that works better with pedals, but I have so much time and customization invested in it that it's hard to pull the trigger.

I trust my X-stand because it has a thick, removable steel bolt in it. It's a basic, flimsy double braced stand, but the bolt keeps it secure. So long as the bolt is safe, my board is safe. I've been using the same one for almost 4 years now, with a variety of keyboards, the heaviest being an RD-700 set at the second highest height, and it's always been fine (touch wood...). Though now that I think about that, maybe it's all just divine luck on my behalf. When I first started out I used a worn single braced X-stand to hold two boards, and amazingly, I never had any disasters.

I'm using a Juno-Di now, and since that weighs next to nothing I have nothing to worry about. It's funny though, whenever we play a wedding showcase, the guys from other bands with the "tooth" gripped X-stands always ask to use mines for their lovely Nords, because they seemingly don't trust theirs.

Though now that I've said all this, everything will probably collapse at my next gig...

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I used X-Stands for quite a long time, and very often, with no failures. I just don't prefer them for other reasons - mainly upper tier adjustment relative to lower tier. I've tried V-Stands, Standtastic, A-Frames, you name it...but I keep going back to my trusty Apex. No angle adjustment, but with my current 2 tier rig, I don't really need it.

These keyboards are nice and close - on my old X-stand

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/IMGP2690.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

As for the safety srap, any old piece if string will do; it is to the discression of the user to decide how stout the mechanism should be. For the most adjustable contraption, a small come-along ratchet strap works quite well with a double braced X-stand. Applied to the bottom cross bars, it can help to keep pedals from slipping away, too.

That K&M Omega stand...looks nice in that it must be nearly invisible from the audience view; as much as it costs, I would think those Germans would add small triangular supports to the upper outside corners (box the corners) if wobbling were a problem, eh? Just sayin'

I have a double braced X that I used for years, never had a problem with it. It's the pin type, which I trust more than the kind with the teeth. I still use that stand for rehearsal (I leave it there, one less thing to lug). I've been thinking about breaking it out for gigs again but I have a mic boom attachment that I made for my Standtastic that I couldn't go without.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I too had an double X-stand for several years that did not have the traditional spring lock or tooth type mesh, but instead had a metal bar that was situated at the top across the back, much like the aforementioned safety straps would be. Set up maybe took on second longer because one end of the bar was permanently attached while the other had a row of holes that fit over a small bolt. Height adjustment was determined by which hole was used. Failure proof, but I've not seen anything like it since. I now use a WS550. Reason for abandoning the X was not for failure concerns, but only for pedal and knee space.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived