Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I used an X Stand, and lived to tell about it

EscapeRocks

As part of my "quick change" simple rig, I tried out an x stand I had.

it worked just fine, none of the other pros in the crowd commented on it, and no failure.

Seriously, I had forgotten how easy it is to set up when I'm not hauling my torpedo tube (Ultimate AX-90) around. It really is a heavy beast of a stand. I love it, but sometimes I'm just not feeling the heavy load in work before an all night show.

So I went with this last Saturday:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/xstand_zpsfb5d152e.jpg

With this stand, my PX350 and Korg M50 and no heavy rack gear, load in and load out was a breeze and I wasn't worn out atthe end of the night.

NO I wont completely cross over and start using a Roland KC amp... :D

ps. I'm still lovin' my "plum crazy" Challenger paint job on the M50. I get lots of cool compliments, and a lot of "what keyboard is that" questions.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use X stands all the time, too. I like them. Every now and then I'll go with a Standtastic. But I have found X stands to be easy to pack, set up and play on. Light weight and easy loading are important. My Standtastic stand is terrific for defense against falling drunks when I have to set up next to a stage, but I favor the X.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Absolutely! I use an "On Stage Stands" X stand for a quick in and out... also have a mic boom attachment & an iPad attachment for my music in PDF format. This stand folds up into one compartmentalized piece, but I too have an "Ultimate Support" rocket launcher for those black tie corporate events where time isn't a factor.

Respect the gig,

Rick

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

They work great. Until they don't. At least use the safety strap!

+1

There are two types of X-stand users: Those who have had an X-stand failure and those who will have an X-stand failure. I happen to be among the former.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Never had a problem with X-stands other than I couldn't get 7 pedals underneath.

I've always gigged with 3 tiers too.

The key is to use a double braced stand not a single ;)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I don't know that much about various keyboards but what if the board is light like the SK1 or XK1-c?
The failure might be less likely, but it could depend upon your playing style, clumsy bandmates, drunks at the venue, or wear and tear on the stand. The last one is an issue when the pin that holds all the weight wears (shears) through.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hmm I'll have to look into this "safety strap"...I'm down to one 61-key board (not light, it's a pc361, but still) so I doubt the pin is going to shear through....it's certainly handy to fold and carry, but if there's any risk of it collapsing at all I'd rather deal with the extra hassle of my z-stand....

I don't think I'd be comfortable with more than one board on an x-stand, especially since I have to play with it as high as it will go (less stable).

I've gone through a couple generations of X stands & the first one, a three tier, did collapse at a gig to the bewilderment & amusement of the band and bar crowd (the weld spots simply cracked & yes it had a safety bar), and this was the first set! Had to finish the gig on a shaky wobbly table, so yeah it does happen but the "On Stage" model I have now is pretty rugged, ( it's still the back up to my Ultimate Support stand).

Nowadays I've simplified my set up (thank you David Weiser from Kurz.), not only for my back issues but the sheer weight on the stand. Heck, the old Ultimate Support I had for several years broke down... do do happens.

And yeah cool paint job.

respect the gig,

Rick

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

What is this safety strap of which you speak?

Curious about that as well; it's not something that I've seen. One stand that doesn't need it is the Ultimate Support IQ-3000; thing is a tank. Unfortunately it's only single tier; the second tier - the IQ-300 - seemed to be in the works for awhile, but references to its development have disappeared.

Sometimes an X-stand is all but the only choice, especially with the stage space issues we encounter; there are places where my StandTastic, or Ultimate Support robo-musky just won't fit. That said, I am a survivor of an X-stand disaster. Those center bolts can shear - especially with band members jumping up-and-down on a stage that flexes. Wish that there had been a video of that fail; it was classic.

So if you must use an X-stand: having a double-braced unit is important. So is checking the bolt for wear, and replacing it when necessary. And that safety strap seems a good idea, too. Sometimes you end up living in tornado alley without a cellar, and just have to cover your arse as best as possible.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

They work great. Until they don't. At least use the safety strap!

+1

There are two types of X-stand users: Those who have had an X-stand failure and those who will have an X-stand failure. I happen to be among the former.

I've never used X-stands live for this reason, but up until new it was just on the advice & warnings of this board.

Then at practice last night the X-stand went down with a Nord on top. Thankfully it went down kind of slow, catching at each peg, so no damage to anything.

I never liked X-stands anyway due to the lack of space underneath. This was just an extra I left at the practice space to simplify the setup. But now I'll be happy to rid of it...

My stands always have straight legs to take the weight, and pinned cross braces to make them completely rigid.

The Omega stand above has no lateral bracing and looks like it might wobble.

Point taken. I'll remove it from my Amazon Wish List. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I've had 2 Quik-Lok QL-642 stands for almost ten years and they have always been solid.

I've never had a failure, though I've also never played stages with vocalists that jump around a lot.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I's hard to beat the 5-second setup time of an X stand.

Not all X stands are alike. You need to pay close attention to what type locking mechanism it has.

I've been using X stands for 15 years. I use two of them for gigs; a second single-brace X stand for the top tier seems to be simpler than the tiers for X stands. One of these days I'll replace it with an K&M 18880 with 2nd tier, which will be lighter and even quicker to set up. If only it weren't so dang expensive.

And this guy performed for 20 years without a problem.

I'll be sure not to set up my X-stand beneath that guy.

One of my friends has an X-stand which does not have the locking pin, instead, there are teeth that have to mesh together, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PKS20-Double-Braced-Heavy-Keyboard/dp/B002PAW5JW

I use a Z-stand these days, but would prefer a K&M 18880. http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18880.htm

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Anyone have pics/diagrams of this fabled safety strap? My x-stand is a double-braced one, not sure if it matters. My seven-year-old has more engineering smarts than me (even my legos collapse) so I'm not picturing where such a strap would go.

Edit: co-worker stated the obvious, which of course I wasn't seeing...put a belt/strap across the top horizontal pieces (I was trying to imagine around the sides :blush:) and then it can't collapse downward....

I used X-Stands for quite a long time, and very often, with no failures. I just don't prefer them for other reasons - mainly upper tier adjustment relative to lower tier. I've tried V-Stands, Standtastic, A-Frames, you name it...but I keep going back to my trusty Apex. No angle adjustment, but with my current 2 tier rig, I don't really need it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived