Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the MVP in your rig?

MuzikTeechur

We all have our favorite keyboards, stands, and amps/monitors.

What's the "best" piece of gear in your kit, aside from your boards, keyboard stand, or amp? (let's rule out Vents, too: most of us love those).

What gems have you found that make your gig easier/more enjoyable?

A few years ago I bought a bunch of stuff. Returned ALL of it except for this keyboard bench from Quik Lok. It's comfortable, it folds up very compact, and I played a 6-hour wedding gig on it yesterday and finished up fresh as a daisy. I paid $29 on sale:

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/337/098/DV016_Jpg_Large_702815.001_black_R.jpg

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta go with the tall Rok-N-Sok I've had since the late 90s. No matter where I played it always felt like home when I sat down.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

A lot of people like drum thrones. I had one for years until it disintegrated.

My example was my bench, but this doesn't have to be limited to benches/thrones/seats/chairs....

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

49-key Protec gig bag. I use it to carry my stand (On-Stage KS7150) and bench (some padded folder, can't remember which company's), along with the iPad clamp, various percussion bits, and homebrewed 2nd tier. Bundling the bench and stand together into an easy one-hand grab finally got me down to a two-trip load in (and a much easier, more stable single trip, if I use a cart).

A close 2nd is the Pedaltrain Mini, which accommodates the Vent, ART PowerMix III, and Radial JDI Duplex, in a convenient pre-wired bundle. Way easier to haul around than a rack.

My hardshell cases and multi-configurable dolly have protected my money makers and eased my physical strain factor immeasurably. Those two essentials and a bottle of ...... aspirin, make me ready for any gig. :)
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

My new stand, which took me a year to think up. Seems so simple once you have the solution!

Nice. Yup, the top tier supports should be behind rather than on top of your lower board. That was also the brilliance of the Invisible stands.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As long as we're talking about non-musical tools that are a musician's best friend... :cool:

I'd have to say it's my truck. I have a crew cab Chevy Silverado that can easily move the entire band. Even with the crew cab, the bed is long enough to hold both of my large keyboard cases. The cases have wheels, so loading and unloading is almost as easy as sliding a pizza in/out of the oven - Except you don't have to worry about burning your hands. :laugh: Even for solo gigs I don't know if I'd want anything that's more difficult to load and unload. And for band gigs it's downright indispensable - It will easily pull our 6' X 12' trailer that holds all the amps/PA/drums/lights etc., and the band rides in the crew cab. We would have a hard time doing a gig without this rig. And even though it's thirsty when loaded up, it's still more fuel efficient for road gigs than taking three or four vehicles. :)

><>

Steve

...This doesn't have to be limited to benches/thrones/seats/chairs....

Yeah, but it's the one consistent thing in my rig that I can't do without. :)

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/b3o4z.gn3gt/v/vspfiles/photos/9819-2.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/10403765095_c2c1dfef43.jpg

It would have to be the my rack. Prewiring saves me a lot of time. The wireless mic system lets me leave mic stands at home. Power for rig is all provided at the back of rack as are audio outputs.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/10403778916_01e80f12c4.jpg

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

My iPad3 with ForScore is my MVP. As a lifelong Windows user I didn't expect the iPad to take over my life, but it did. I use it for everything from displaying sheet music & playing backing tracks on stage to paying my bills, setting my DVR, posting on Craigslist, recording/posting/playing back YouTube hi-def videos, Facebook, car navigation, etc. etc. I may record my next album on it.

Second to that would be my Toyota Prius which hauls everything I need to do a gig and gets 51 MPG. One of the cooler feature few people realize is that I can park the car with the AC running and take a nice nap in it... the car will quietly cycle through charging/using the battery to run the AC, burning a very small amount of gas. I've heard of people renting the Prius to use at the Burning Man festivals specifically so they can sleep in AC during the day.

What's the "best" piece of gear in your kit, aside from your boards, keyboard stand, or amp?

http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/730x490scale/product/MF104MproductPageFront.jpg

It may sound strange, but lately, it's been the Moog 104M. Adds a touch of analog roundness and compression (not distortion) as a finishing touch to any digital sound source. High quality chorus and delay are icing on the cake.

Second to that would be my Toyota Prius which hauls everything I need to do a gig and gets 51 MPG.

Seconded. Though after a couple hundred miles my MPG average is always about 41, not 51.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Snake and the front of rack connects I built with Redco parts.

My pedalboard case is pretty handy also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Gemini Sr. Convertible Hand Truck (GM-81UA4)

gm-81ua4.jpg

For very small gigs:

Passport 250 Deluxe (original model)

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images200x200/246346.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Flash Light

:idea:

+1 definitely!

Also, Gaff Tape, and a Drum Key (not for me, but because drummers never seem to have them when they need them).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I can't find these lights aymore but I really like them.

They are battery powered LEDs that swivel. They say Sylvania on them and they look like little tires and have magegnetic backs. I got them cheap a few years ago and the batteries are getting low. They are handy and stick to anything metal.

Flash Light

:idea:

+1 definitely!

Also, Gaff Tape, and a Drum Key (not for me, but because drummers never seem to have them when they need them).

My best friend is a bassist I played with for alongtime in my younger days. He is now one of the best sound contractors in the area always carried a drum key. He could alsoo tune drums better than most our drummers. LOL!

Archived