Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OUCH! THT HAD 2 HURT!!

bluzeyone

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LMAO! I love wedding stories...My sister got married and she asked me to play.. was a very informal wedding at her house. She wanted Pachelbel's "Canon" played real slow with an organ sound. Someone commented to me that it sounded like a funeral... I replied "Well if you know my sister, it is.... for him". :)

I just did my first wedding in a number of years.. ( no ceremony, just our regular repertoire... YES !! ) but about 10 years ago when I was doing more of that work.. I did a wedding and had to play Here Comes Bride and other stuff they expect.. I am good with tradition so.. however they were so disorganized I never ID ed the bride and groom.. the person who cued me.. or so I thought cued Here Comes Bride PREMATURELY and I played it for one of the earlier couples!!! Talk about uncomfortable , nails tearing across blackboard moments.

Another very busy musician relieved my discomfort by sharing a now forgotten similar story!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I can pull that off much better myself even though I am not a concert organist. I have been at a wedding where the organist was even worse than this video. He had absolutely NO concept of harmony or timing. I wanted to kill myself at that ceremony.

I don't remember you being at one of my shows!!!

:laugh::wave:

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Uuuurgh, I can't watch videos like that. Crossed it off before the end.

Something similar happened to me once though, was piping the haggis in at a yearly meal we have here on Burns night a few years ago, and I was asked to play the traditional tune "A Man's a Man." Got past the first two bars then had a complete mind fart. "Improvised" (or hit select notes and phrases that I thought were in the tune to jog my memory) past all the tables up to the top of the hall. Didn't really work, because the pipes only have 9 notes (G Mixolydian + an extra A) so I was very limited over what I could do. Flunked my way to the top of the room and played nonsense until I found good phrase to stop on. What made it worse was that our Pipe Major was at the top table (where I stopped) as a guest. "Play anything but that on the way back down." was what he whisper-shouted to me as I waited on the speeches to finish.

Anyways, that kind of thing happening at a wedding is the stuff of nightmares for me, so videos like that make me shudder.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Play music and lead the food (haggis) in to the top table, someone reads a poem, cuts open the food, food is then served. I don't get it and it for the number of times I've done it, it still doesn't make sense to me, but it's tradition.

I tried to water the Scottish terminology in that story down as much as I could, it's difficult!

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Pretty obvious to any veteran organist/choir director what was going on: they asked to have one of their relatives - probably a budding musician - play the Recessional. I've seen this a number of times: they want to include the (generally young) person in the ceremony, so they let them play, regardless of their actual ability.

And with nobody even taking notice (and we musicians are a snotty lot: any of us in there and we'd be laughing our asses off) it's something anyone that's done a church gig for any time has seen and had to grit our teeth through.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Went to a wedding a number of years ago with a church organist of about this calibre, and a singer with no concept of pitch singing "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" which, at best, is painful. Couple it with two horrible musicians and it was excruciating. Singularly worst wedding performance, EVER.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived