Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Having The Look ....

Delaware Dave

Your 1980s pic is a lot more "timeless" than mine are...ripped jeans (done on purpose) and spandex tops, new wave mullet (which rapidly became a skullet before going away completely).

I always liked how Flogging Molly dresses...retro dress attire with cool hats etc. I sweat too much for that kind of thing though.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For several years I played mostly in jam bands, in which the unwritten rule (jam bands don't put anything in writing) was that you should go for the the "un-look," consisting mostly of whatever lay crumpled on your floor in the morning.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The last professional to cut my hair about ten years ago said I had "grooming issues". He's probably right about that, but I still wouldn't let him touch my eyebrows.

I played Saturday in a nice new pair of Levi's 550 jeans, a new Land's End long sleeve black sweatshirt (for mosquito resistance) with matching black slip resistant Sketchers work sneakers. I did a home hack job on my hair a couple of months ago. Nobody commented on my wardrobe or grooming issues.

--wmp

For several years I played mostly in jam bands, in which the unwritten rule (jam bands don't put anything in writing) was that you should go for the the "un-look," consisting mostly of whatever lay crumpled on your floor in the morning.

I think I read some years ago that Keith Richards had the same approach to "the look"

I think I read some years ago that Keith Richards had the same approach to "the look"

I did a home hack job on my hair a couple of months ago.
I understand Keef has the same approach to his hair.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This early 80s look was a mix of nerd and skinny-tie new wave. Not my best look.

IS that Rhodes really on top of that organ or have you been Photoshopping? :)

No photoshopping - it was 1980!!!

Only the Rhodes' rear legs were utilized - they were telescopic. Had to be creative back then. I even duct-tapped a wooden furring strip to the Rhodes top so the Prodigy faced me. Not elegant, but it worked.

I did that with my rhodes back in 1981.

ABBA....Will Work For Food....eh, it's a toss up.

Regarding facial hair on somebody my age...I've always had it. Not trying to be young, I just look better with facial hair. My mouth is too small. Facial hair around it makes it appear more appropriate for my face. I had an ex girlfriend, who after knowing each other for a few years and being together for a year, saw me without facial hair for the first time. We'd be talking, then she'd happen to look at me and be startled, as if I had been replaced by a stranger.

I occasionally have to shave it off for work (so I can wear a respirator in hazardous areas). So for the last few years I've been back and forth. It only takes a week or two to grow back. But I think I've had the Goat Tee for so long that it's just part of how I look - no attempt to look older or younger. In fact, one time when I shaved it off someone (23 yr old girl I know well) said I looked a few years younger. So if anything, the facial hair makes me look older.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

And dig the Multiman! A workhorse back in the day.

Yes, the Multiman was a workhorse. It got lots of use - very versatile. Great strings, good piano and clav (for the day) and a little brass and synth capability. Bought it in 1976 for $835 - really got my money's worth.

Later on, Crumar re-issued the Multiman and then came out with the Orchestrator which I didn't think sounded as good as the Multiman.

Good deal on the Multiman! I played one in a band in the late 70s (it belonged to the band, not me) but I finally did get my own Crumar Performer a bit later. No piano/clav but the strings/brass combo were pretty good and got me by when my band did "Behind the Lines." I sold it to our bass player and he still has it. He offered it back to me for free although I see them going for $350 on eBay. :crazy:

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Compare and contrast this thread with ones about how keyboard players get no love, shoved in a corner or in the back of the stage, the girls that approach keyboard players are just trying to get the guitar player's name or number, the cameras never focus on the keyboard player during the key solo, etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Absolutely (@Joe). I'd struggle to name any keyboard player I've heard women say they like the look of. I'd be going back to the 80s to that guy from Duran Duran.

Confident rotund singers or belly over the spandex pants stuck in Bon Jovi land guitar players - "oh what the hell, aye I suppose" - "if it was a quiet night" - "just for old times sake"

I did hear a group of women at a bit of party night say - after watching Radiohead's hairs on the back of your neck performance on Jools Holland - say "loved that but you'd struggle wouldn't you?" "Aye, was there a percussion player offstage ...I'd be like - great tune from Yorkie and the lads but I've always loved percussion"

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Does anyone have a pic of what a white guy should dress like if in a reggae band?

Mix of bright colors of military green / camo works well.

See here (big: didn't want to embed)

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Compare and contrast this thread with ones about how keyboard players get no love, shoved in a corner or in the back of the stage, the girls that approach keyboard players are just trying to get the guitar player's name or number, the cameras never focus on the keyboard player during the key solo, etc.

Could it be because we're more like Sherman...

http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/z/peabody_sticker_sherman__54817.jpg

than this guy...?

http://mcdn01.gittigidiyor.net/8216/DAVID-LEE-ROTH-nota-kitabi-play-a-long__82163138_0.jpg

:idea:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Facial Hair-

It's just ironic that some 20-somethings decide to TRY to grow beards, cover up their lack of being able to do so convincingly as a "chin strap", so they therefore have domain over facial hair.

The reason it's ironic is that a beard is a classic hallmark of being an old man. Santa Claus anyone? Father Time?

All in good fun...

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

[font:Arial Black] The "Look" Then

[/font]

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/mrnightime/287312666_0c695b9a7c_o.jpg

[font:Arial Black]

And Now

[/font]

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/mrnightime/395285_369470126406192_187552491264624_1460832_144131966_n.jpg

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

[/size] [/font]

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/mrnightime/395285_369470126406192_187552491264624_1460832_144131966_n.jpg

Seems like the "Now" look is much more successful!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived