Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Having The Look ....

Delaware Dave

Handsomeness or prettiness has nothing to do with entertainment , it's all about "Stage presence"/"X Factor" .

Tina Turner for instance has it in truck loads -- and check out her Sax man!:D.

Here's one of my favourite music clips,featuring the Awesome Mr Kenny Moore ,playing sweet sounding piano sitting perfectly in the mix like it should do >

(my girlfriend at 2:04 ;))

Lots of PROPS and lights (and smoke and mirrors) make a HUGE difference to anyone at all.

Brett.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matching threads is the way to go...

I was in a band in the early 2000's playing all 80s music. We nailed the songs, but there were varying degrees of enthusiasm and commitment to the theme. Half the band thought we should be dressing 80s, have 80s props, etc. We took some cool pics, like this one:

http://www.elzeonline.com/mpforum/radiostar_del.jpg

But in reality, half the band wasn't on board. So a couple of us would come dressed like idiots in parachute pants and what-not, while the other guys would just come in jeans and a Tee. ("what? I rolled my pants legs...that's 80s."). So instead of a theme, we just looked like a couple of us took things a little too far. Then, low and behold, all of a sudden we're hearing about this great 80's band. They're getting all the best gigs...dressing 80s, wearing wigs, etc. That ended up being my next band (see picture in previous post).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hard to beat a Delorean....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Tina Turner for instance has it in truck loads

http://vipfaces.com/images/tina_dance.gif

Legs... Insured for $3.2 Million.

Tina Turner

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Frank makes bald sexy. I make bald just..well...bald.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I had a guy awhile back book me for a gig and asked me to wear the "Nashville uniform"....when I asked what the hell that was he explained "You know.....tight jeans with a nice button down shirt (not tucked in) with the sleeves rolled up. Boots would help, as well as one of them shaggy haircuts....." I thought....yeah, so would a 28" waist and quite a few less gray hairs in my beard.....

Jeez, I've been doing that 'uniform' for years. Sometimes it's closer to the "Chicago uniform", i.e. - black shirt over blue jeans, but the boots are essential - though I sometimes wear Frye boots, instead of my "Corner bug squashers". The shaggy haircut - somewhat akin to Moonglow's - was my mainstay in the 80's - 90's; but if I regrew the long, shaggy locks now I'd look like a love child produced by Christopher Lloyd and Ben Franklin.

Beards are dyeable; mine went 80% white at 42, and 12 years later the hair on my head is still a brown/gray mix; go figure.... 28" waist ? Yeah, I had that once - in fifth grade. I do well to hold myself at 36"...

The Look has a lot to do with attitude, how one carries themself - plus dressing to differentiate from the audience. Don't care if I'm playing a dive bar; a T-shirt, sloppy jeans, and beat-up gym shoes just doesn't cut it. Just caught a very cool band in the Edison Park neighborhood of Chicago tonight: casual dress, but different enough from the audience. As well as looking more relaxed, they utterly blew away most of the 'hip', indy rockers I've heard in Denver. Man, I miss the real players of Chi' town...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I heard the best "look" story last week. A Nashville producer, whose name was not dropped to me, hired a drummer for a session on a recommendation. When the drummer got to the studio the producer sent him home telling him, "You don't have the look to play on this session." The drummer was stunned. What kind of look would one need to play in the studio? Well, said the producer, when the "artist" sees the drummer rocking hard in full regalia, he gets all fired up and gives a better performance. Whether the drummer could play or not was inconsequential--the drums could be replaced.

True story.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

If the guys on stage are balding fat guys in jeans and t-shirts that look like them, then it's nothing special...it's a bunch of guys just like me on stage.

A considerable portion of the forum just got really sad. :laugh:

Not me - still have my "Tony Banks " hair and Tony Banks look - moody! - or is that miserable :/?

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Facebook/Profile%20Pictures/ada74ec1-790e-4af5-84a9-b3d295ad8a4e_zpsb37f1a56.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Loving this thread. OMG Moonglow - is that really you in the photo?

In the eighties I thought I had 'the look' - paid gigs with my three tier A frame with metal bands who wanted keyboard visuals (?) on bigger stages. The look - of a metal band trying to blag it that their music is sophisticated enough to require the services of a keyboard player even though you only hear the keys as the band walk on stage.

I needed the cash. I grew my hair. It was long brown and curly down to my bum and in my head I had the look.

The actual look was Gloria Estofan's fat older sister.

In the 90s I had 'the look.' I looked like I could actually play and the E munching repetitive beat meisters wanted me there on stage (hair now cut) to give them the 'I'm good enough to have a musician in my band' look.

The actual look was 'worried.' I was looking around me thinking, these feckers are off their heads, I'm three feet from a bloke on percussion who doubles as a fire eater, my keyboards are expensive and I think the air horns those revellers are blasting may damage my ears more than the eejits that I played with in the 80s with the Marshall stacks.

It is 2013. I am now in function band heaven. I have the 'look.'

The look that I do is at the end of the well remunerated gig that says - no way, start packing the gear now - I'm driving you back to your wives. What's that? We've been through this, the good looking youngsters that front our outfit can get off with the bride if they want, they're young and single and I'm the oldest and what I say goes.

I have the look. The look that says - I'm the Daddy, now leave the nice recently divorced and very drunk ladies alone and carry the bass bins to the van. Now.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I have usually dressed to the gig over the years. The wedding rig, greased up for 50's, the rock outfit, long hair etc boots and hat for the country thing, although the hat was short lived. I look like an idiot in a cowboy hat. Years ago we played a very rough bar with a new guitar player. Sometimes its better to blend in, but he showed up in a three piece suit. While he was trying to be professional, in this instance he might just have got us killed!! While I agree that having "the look" is great I think as with playing to the gig , one should always dress to it as well. Now I go and see what I have to wear tonight for a gig where the shorts and sandals just won't do. :cool:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I am afraid that "the look" is very important.

I will never forget a conversation that I had with an attractive woman a few years back. She was a music fan. When a friend of mine said that he was going to start a band that only played originals, I told him that it would turn off the crowd. To make my point, I turned to the woman and said:

Me: Would you go see a bar band that only played originals?

Her: Depends. Are they really good looking?

I'm afraid truer words were never spoken. The most popular bar band in my town is fronted by a guy that has the look.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Well it all depends what your going for, and what your left to work with! When I was 25, the effect the band had on women was definitely a necessary selling point. When the girls come to see the band, the boys follow and the bar fills up. The band gets lots of work. At 55 I doubt that I would garner much interest with the fairer sex at this point in my life, and quite frankly I don't care. I played a gig during a festival a few years back. On one of the other stages were middle age metal guys dressing the part. While I realize they were going for the look, what really came across was an aging front man without the body anymore, no shirt with a leather vest, pants etc. and pot belly. I was embarrassed for him. Now that I am older, I try to dress age appropriately. Or I let my wife pick out my clothes. :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

... so much of this is true.. Unfortunately....

We had three very good looking guys in my last band... Unfortunately I was not one of them. Therefore, I was replaceable...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I heard the best "look" story last week. A Nashville producer, whose name was not dropped to me, hired a drummer for a session on a recommendation. When the drummer got to the studio the producer sent him home telling him, "You don't have the look to play on this session." The drummer was stunned. What kind of look would one need to play in the studio? Well, said the producer, when the "artist" sees the drummer rocking hard in full regalia, he gets all fired up and gives a better performance. Whether the drummer could play or not was inconsequential--the drums could be replaced.

True story.

I am so screwed if I can't negotiate a work from home strategy when my offices shuts down in 2015. My work is related to all North American operations. I am hoping I can stay where I am at. If I move to TN I will never gig again.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

True story.

I am so screwed if I can't negotiate a work from home strategy when my offices shuts down in 2015. My work is related to all North American operations. I am hoping I can stay where I am at. If I move to TN I will never gig again.

Sheesh.... Was considering a move to Nashvegasville in the coming year, but ....

Those cats I heard in Chicago last night kicked ass, and the crowd was crazy for 'em; pretty good for a Thursday night. And no, they didn't wear full regalia, or necessarily have 'the look'. And when I did sessions in Chi'town it was about how you played, not how you looked; pretty much still is, as far as I know. That Nashville producer Ken mentioned is way beyond full of bullshit, :evil: .

OK...I now believe that the number of plastic people is sharply increasing.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Well, we all have to deal with that which Nature gave us. Except for the time I spent in the USMC, I have struggled with my weight.

I've never had a bandleader mention it to me, except those times when I dropped 15 or so pounds and only in a positive manner, but I feel like it plays a role.

There are times that I HATE to see pictures of myself playing because I dislike to be reminded. No worries - I have loads of ego, but it doesn't come from my looks!

Our band insists on black suits with ties at every gig, unless it's a beach gig (matching black polos with the band logo) or a society/corporate gig (black tuxedoes with black shirts and red bow ties).

Even in the biker clubs.

I see some other bands wearing clothes that I wouldn't wear to mow my lawn in and they're NOT young and hip and able to pull off the ripped jeans look.

If you're able to pull that off, then more power to you. I've always felt that if you're going to dress like a hobo on stage, you better have the chops to back it up.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

From the comments I'm reading here I'm getting the general feel that 'the look' has to do with how you dress. I'm not always interpreting that in the ads I'm reading. Here are a couple of excerpts:

*- You need to have a good look

*- good stage presence, ability and look

*- who of course look the part

*- as long as you look cool

I'm guessing that when you show up for the audition and step through the door 'the look' has to do mostly (but not totally) with your physical appearance as opposed to how you dressed for an audition. Three guys in the band have hair down to their ass and in walks someone who looks like they work at a CPA firm (short hair, geeky appearance, etc.) is not likely to get the gig even if they are an above average player. Am I off base?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

OMG Moonglow - is that really you in the photo?

Yes....or more accurately, that was me!

That picture was taken during the height of my band's popularity, at the night club we collectively owned from 1986-1994. Yes, life was really, really good for a 27 year-old musician. I can tell you some very interesting stories, but I don't wish to get banned from this forum!

I'm 51 now, but in no way wish to "chase" the glory days. My band still draws reasonably well, but our market is the 40-50 crowd. I really like what Allan said about dressing to differentiate yourself from the crowd, but in an age-appropriate way. I think it's a natural progression, and if done correctly, can still generate interest and excitement.

So while I still exercise regularly, the tank-tops and spandex (thankfully) have been permanently placed into retirement, and I will never wear a wig! Looking back, life is actually much better now.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

From the comments I'm reading here I'm getting the general feel that 'the look' has to do with how you dress. I'm not always interpreting that in the ads I'm reading. Here are a couple of excerpts:

*- You need to have a good look

*- good stage presence, ability and look

*- who of course look the part

*- as long as you look cool

I'm guessing that when you show up for the audition and step through the door 'the look' has to do mostly (but not totally) with your physical appearance as opposed to how you dressed for an audition. Three guys in the band have hair down to their ass and in walks someone who looks like they work at a CPA firm (short hair, geeky appearance, etc.) is not likely to get the gig even if they are an above average player. Am I off base?

Yes, and no. IMO it all depends on what priorities the band has. To some, "pretty" may be a requirement, to others "dress for success" may be what they look for. And most I think simply look for what fits in. To many, music, and an obvious love for it, is THE top priority.

As an example, I once auditioned for a Reggae band. Nothing was specified in the ad as to "look." I'd just finished a stretch playing Blues out of Memphis for a few years and my wardrobe was tailored to that vein. The audition was in southern California where I'd just relocated back home to. So I show up in my Blues rig including alligator cowboy boots, a fedora over some dark shades, with my long wavy locks free flowin'. Well, I got some initial looks from these guys (these guys were mostly dreadlock'd and dressed colorfully modern hip inna da Reggae stylee, and mostly younger than me some by 20 years) but we went through the audition. I liked them, both musically, in their business sense, their sense of style and positive energy, and personality wise so was prepared to accept the gig. At the end of the audition, the leader asked me if I'd be willing to adopt their style of dress and I said I'd be happy to. He offered me the gig then and there and we played together for 14 years.

So, I was neither young, dreadlock'd, dressed in their style, and (not to be racist) but shall I say ... non-ethnic. Still, I got the gig based on my playing ability, energy, positive outlook, and perhaps pedigree, despite being totally different than what a simple "look" requirement would imply.

That band ended up being made up of the most diverse group of people I'd ever played with comprising all ethnicities, ages, sexes, and musical tastes. But we all simply loved the music we were playing and loved projecting positive energy, and it showed in both our stage performances and our music. We're all still great friends.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

So, I was neither young, dreadlock'd, dressed in their style, and (not to be racist) but shall I say ... non-ethnic. Still, I got the gig based on my playing ability, energy, positive outlook, and perhaps pedigree, despite being totally different than what a simple "look" requirement would imply.

But I think the key here is that you were willing to adopt "the look". You didn't have it in rehearsal, but you had it in the subsequent live performances.

Dan

"The Look" is important. But, it changes depending on the style of music being played and age-range of the musos and their audience.

There are phenomenal musos that I would NOT hire to play because their stage presence and demeanor would bring the gig down.

Being bald (:wave:) or overweight do not automatically affect stage presence adversely. Isaac Hayes and Barry White were sex symbols back in the 1970s.

Today, bald is hip. More than a few chunky singers and musos are doing very well for themselves. Times have changed in terms of what is acceptable onstage i.e. the look.

As mentioned previously, to dress for success and attitude goes a very long way because regardless of style, all performance-based music is entertainment.

The audience has to "like" what they see and hear on some level. Again, that depends on the style/genre of music and their age-range.

Personally, I'm in the over-40 club age-wise. But, I've always felt that women bring the money. If you can grab and hold their attention...it is a win-win situation. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I definitely had the look when I was younger. Nowadays (with my aging face and short hair) I'm often told that I look like the type of guy who probably used to play in rock bands.

I'm never quite sure how to take that one...

Archived