Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheapo mixer

Six-string-man

Hi all,

I'm looking for a smallish cheap mixer for home use, although I'd like to future proof it a bit (i.e. extra inputs) in case I want to plug extra stuff into it at a later date. At the moment, I want to plug in a Nord Electro and a Korg Chrome. I'd like to pay around £150 if at all possible.

A friend has a Alto Zephyr ZMX128FX, (£110) which looks OK, I think Alesis used to have something to do with it.

The two that have taken my eye are the Yamaha 82CX at £140, and the Mackie 802 VLZ3, a bit expensive (for me) at £200.

If anyone has any experience/advice about these, compared with the Alto Zephyr, I would really appreciate your input.

I realise that I'm trolling the bottom end of the market, but I don't have £500 (or even £250) to spend on this.

Thanks.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the Yamaha102c which is similar, but without the effects and slightly different channel configuration. I've found it to be very good for the money. It's been a great little utility mixer that so far I've only used at home, but soon will be using for my duo running 2 vocals, keys, sax, guitar, and bass - exactly enough channels...FX send to an outboard unit for vocal effects (the unit you listed has that built in) and a monitor send for stage monitoring. It's got decent EQ plus tape in/out, phantom power, which I didn't think I'd use, but ended up using to power my Sansamp Bass Driver when the battery ran out. The compression is handy. Good all around unit.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sounds like you need/want mic pres based on the mixers you are checking out. For keys you may just need a line mixer, and perhaps don't need onboard fx...I have a small Rolls (3 stereo channels) for live use that was quite cheap. I was also considering one of the small Soundcraft notebook series.

Sounds like you need/want mic pres based on the mixers you are checking out. For keys you may just need a line mixer, and perhaps don't need onboard fx...I have a small Rolls (3 stereo channels) for live use that was quite cheap. I was also considering one of the small Soundcraft notebook series.
+1

I might have the same mixer! (Rolls MX28). It does a great job, has a small footprint, introduces no extraneous noise and is inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Mini-Mix-IV-MX28-Mixer-TRS-input-output-Blue-/171100730640?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item27d665f510

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX28

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ that I use on gogs, and a Soundcraft Notepad for my office.

Both have 4 channels with Mic inputs, and then 4 stereo pairs.

Both are quiet. The Mackie I've had for a LONG time, and it works perfectly every time. Not even a dirty pot.

Well worth the price I paid

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Another Rolls fan; if you want a simple SMALL line mixer, this one has the footprint of not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes, but thicker. Doesn't look like a normal mixer.

I just Velcro it onto the far left side of my lower keyboard; the few controls are on the front, connections on the back, nothing on top, so it's ok to squeeze between 2 boards, with no cable interference like you would have with a normal mixer.

I'd stretch a little and go with Mackie 802 VLZ3. I have a 1402 VLZ3 in my home workspace that has been great. Huge bang-for-the-buck factor.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I picked up a used Yamaha MG8/2 fx about 6 months ago for around $50 and it has been great so far. At the time, I was looking for something that would allow me to mix 3 stereo boards. The fx are decent, it is quiet enough for me, and it is fairly solidly built I think. All around great little piece of gear for the money, I would definitely recommend it.

I got a Samson MDR624 cheaply from Amazon as all I need for live gigs and keyboards are mix down and control of two or three keyboards. So far has worked really well. Small, too, does not take much of foot print.

If I would have invested more I would have looked at an A&E Zed, mostly as it has USB in which would be cool for laptop directly to mixer connections.

I really like the Soundcraft Notepad Soundcraft Notepad 124FX . 4 mic/line plus 4 additional stereo line channels. Too bad it was recently discontinued. Maybe you can find a leftover or demo unit on line?

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Features determine mixer choice or at least reduce the choices.

How many outs (do you need a separate control out for instance)

Do you need monitor and/or fx sends, do you need pre/post etc

Do you want built-in fx?

Do you need inserts?

Do you need EQ on the mixer (I typically don't for keys, I do it onboard)

Obviously, how many channels, and how many mic pres if any.

And so on...for my live keys needs, the Rolls was a great choice since it excludes a lot of stuff I didn't need (for less $$) and was small.

For home use, I'm using a Mackie uc202 (iirc don't have it in front of me), it's a mixer with a firewire interface built into it, so it kills two birds with one stone as it were. It doesn't have mic pres unfortunately, so I use a zoom h2 for microphone recording. As I use a DAW all my fx are software; if you have outboard gear of course you'll be concerned with aux and insert sends.

http://www.alesis.com/multimix6fx

Really compact- 2 stereo ins, plus 2 mic pres, AND DECENT DIGITAL FX.

Check it out in my profile pic- it fits perfectly on my Kurz PC3, either side of the top panel (right when I'm playing LH bass, otherwise, left).

Highly recommended, around $100

Our sax player uses one of these to mix/balance his different instruments. He seems to like it and I've never seen him experience any problems FWIW.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I looked at the Rolls, and was quite impressed, but it is unavailable in the U.K. I can get it from Germany for 134 euros ($180) incl. postage, but I believe it comes without a warranty. I'd rather get the MG 82CX locally for an extra $37, it would give me a lot more options.

I really appreciate all your input.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Alesis MultiMix 8 is good - if you can stretch to SM DI8E from Thomann you will also get DI outputs which you can use live......

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_di8e.htm

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Result! A friend of mine, who plays in a band is upgrading to an all-singing-all-dancing mixer with all the bells & whistles. He has offered me the Peavey PV-14 mixer (incl. flight case) which he currently uses. It's in great condition, I've heard it in use, and we settled on £90, and are both very happy

I know Behringer used to have a questionable reputation, but they've come a long way, sort of how Hyundai has become with cars. I'd recommend a Behringer XENYX 802 , most places sell it for under $65. It's quiet and it's built like a tank, no wobbly knobs like the low end Mackie 402-VLZ3, which is $99 and only 4 channel.

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/products/original/21043.jpg

I suggest you get one without FX. The FX in bottom-of-the-line mixers aren't very good and you probably don't need them at all, so why pay for a crappy part you won't use much?

One exception. Some gear has a "test tone" effect. Very useful! However, I can get the same by sticking a matchbook between a couple keys.

+1

I might have the same mixer! (Rolls MX28). It does a great job, has a small footprint, introduces no extraneous noise and is inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Mini-Mix-IV-MX28-Mixer-TRS-input-output-Blue-/171100730640?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item27d665f510

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX28

Sold. I just ordered two of them. That's exactly the right sized mixer for my keyboard rigs.

Thanks!

:wave:

--wmp

Archived