Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

suggestions for good shagging tunes?

LeesKeys

Beach music and shagging are very popular in my part of the country (southeast). I have never liked beach music, but would be interested in any suggestions for other tunes which would be good to play for shagging. My band includes guitar, drums, bass, keyboard, and female vocalist. Someone suggested Delbert McClinton's Take Me To The River . Any other ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shag dancing is closely related to West Coast Swing dancing, so the music would be similar. Same general "feel" rhythmically as Beach Music.

Most popular songs for shag (NC-SC) dancing

Band sites - check out what they play.

The Embers Band

The Tams

Another shag song list

Top 50 Shag Dance songs of 2011

Note: the music should not be played too fast - most of the body motion in the dance is from waist down (I heard it expressed that the dancer should be able to dance without spilling the beer in his hand).

BTW, our good friend BluesKeys on this forum plays keys for the Embers, and they will be playing 7p to 8:30p Saturday, June 22, at Union Point in New Bern.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

ROTFL - and certainly NOT the definition of it out here in Oz -

That topic heading was a real coffee snorter!! :D

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Alright..Im 50% dago and 50% Irish..I gotta dive into this kinky weird thread!! Lol!! I say..slap on some grease and funkify your status. Brickhouse...Cissy Strut(any meters)I Wish, Master Blaster, Superstition,...ect...Also don't underestimate the hip propelling power of a slow raunchy blues......oh...and always " shag" responsibly... :laugh:
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

OK, my question was more serious than most of these answers.

The real answer is swing songs like:

Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy

634-5789

Shaggin' On The Boulevard

Under The Boardwalk

Don't Let The Green Grass Fool Ya

I Love Beach Music

Thanks for the plug Moodyblues keys.

Anything with a shuffle beat like Delbert McClinton GIVIN it Up For Your Love, Louisiana, Sandy Beaches, Maybe Someday Baby, Roll The Dice. Motown, Temptations Lady Soul, My Girl, OC Smith Brenda, I'm In Love, check out our website.

Main thing is groove, can't be to fast or to slow. Perfect place is 120-135 bpm

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Thank you, Jimmy

@ Lee:

Show up at Union Point Park in New Bern Saturday, 22 June (before 7, their last show drew a lot of people for the New Bern area) - and hear shag music done right, by a group that has been doing it for over 50 years. The Embers is also a family friendly show.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Oh. I was going to suggest Ravel's Bolero but nevermind.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived