Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ethel Smith

Dave Bryce

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really blown away when she started using the slapping technique in the second part. I did not expect that!

Wikipedia lists a book by her. "The Ethel Smith Hammond Organ Method Book One, Revised Edition, Copyright 1949 and 1964 By Ethel Smith Music Corp. New York, NY. For use on every Hammond Organ including all Spinet Models"

I would love to see that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey Darren (dazzjazz), are you there?

I know we talked about not diggin' the B3+stringbass combination.

But, check this out!

She's a great player, I just prefer the organ bass that's all...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Organ with upright bass is fantastic combination. I dont see why not use it, besides the obvious economic reason (one more guy to pay). I'm listening some Ike Quebec classic quartet records with organ instead of piano, and organ sounds fanastic within this setting. It can be groovy/loung-y and sensual.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Thanks for the clip, DB! I had seen her before and wondered who she was. Great technique!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Ethel Smith first knocked me out one late night around 1971 as I watched an old MGM musical on TV. Let's just say I was in a very musically receptive mood that night(not unusual in '71) and was astounded at her chops and flash. My frames of reference for Hammond at that point were people like Jon Lord,Mark Stein,Goldy McJohn,and Felix Cavaliere so seeing this diminutive lady manhandle that Hammond so masterfully was mindblowing. She made it look easy.

Another keyboard artist to look out for in golden age movie musicals is pianist extrordinaire Jose Iturbi.

Archived